Home Hardware Does Not Want Online Orders

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2017 2:07 am
[OP]
Mar 8, 2017
1 posts

Home Hardware Does Not Want Online Orders

HI everyone,

I am just curious if anyone has experienced what I experienced this week.

I am a small business owner (Janitorial) and I order most of my supplies through home hardware. As my local store is pretty small and they rarely stock anything I need, I find it convenient to order online so I can get a wide range of their products. Also, all my items arrive in the same order and I don't have to make multiple trips.

I had made a few orders through online ordering (5) in the past for a few waxing jobs. Finally this week, I went to pickup my latest order (utility buckets, floor buff, spray bottle, dry mop and pad, vacuum bags) and I was more or less growled at by the csr.

It was explained to me that the local stores do not like online ordering because the store does not get a "cut" and that I should be coming into the store and ordering through them anyway. I was so put off by the way the csr was speaking to me that I simply walked out of the store and didn't pickup my order that I had already paid for.

I sent an email to head office regarding my experience. This was their reply.

"Hello -----,
Thank you for contacting Home Hardware Stores Limited. I was really sorry to read that you did not have a very positive experience at the ------ Home Hardware store location in --------.
Please be assured that we take these types of comments very seriously and we plan to review this incident with the store owner and manager of retail sales and operations.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We appreciate your continued patronage.
Sincerely,"

Finally two-days later I went back to the store and another csr basically gave me the same explanation (she did it in a civil manner). I explained to her that the store's supply and service hours did not work with my schedule and that I find it more convenient to order online. I was told that I should come into the store and order through them and not online.

So, anyone have this type of experience?

Thanks!
14 replies
Mar 28, 2012
304 posts
69 upvotes
My Kijiji sofa
I got worse from a Sears pickup location because I didn't pick up curtain rods the same day they arrived and they took "too much room". That small shop is only open until 5pm weekdays except Friday evening, and closed on weekends. So I waited until Friday, only to find they made the delivery truck take them back already. It's touted as a convenient alternative over home delivery if you can't be home ... meaning pickup at your convenience rather than being inconvenienced by being pinned down to accept a delivery. You think they should have thought of those remifications before signing up with Sears? Sears couldn't believe they returned them so soon.

In your case, that store owner is aware of what he gives & gets as a franchisee, and AGREED to this. CSR needs more training on treating every customer with respect even for $0 transactions, Regardless of what discontent wth the agreement may be, there should never be fallout on any customer who has nothing to do with that contract. Next time you go pickup, if you get the same attitude, I'd mention you were going to ask about X item you saw in the window, but now they lost that potential sale. Do they not consider the increased foot traffic they would not have had otherwise can lead to impulse buy or pick up something else? What they should do is look at your order and suggest something to go with that you may have not thought of. Bought a BBQ, they should point out the BBQ covers they have on sale or point out that 'these long lighters are great for lighting BBQ'! You walking into the store instead of getting home delivery is a sales opportunity they are missing with that kind of attitude. They should be offering to help you carry your pickup items to your car! You'd remember how welcome and pleasant and thoughtful they are and heartily recommend the store the next time someone needs a drill or something. Instead you are exposing them here!

Nice reply frome head office; could have been sweeter with a coupon for your next purchase.
I am open! Let's get on with the hacking - I assume it vibrates?
Ref: Dazz
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4660 upvotes
"Fine, I'll order delivery to my home instead."
You may have made some money off me in the past for things you actually had in stock (not likely) but now you get zero of my business.

The internet didn't kill brick and mortar, it's the attitude and operation of how they're run that's killing them.
May 12, 2009
656 posts
138 upvotes
So you are going to boycott all the brick and mortar stores because one employee was a bit rude? That doesn't seem like an over-reaction at all.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2084 posts
1053 upvotes
Richmond
To be fair in this case, the OP complained to the company about an unsatisfactory policy that was also poorly presented by the csr. If the company then gives an unsatisfactory response to the complaint, it's perfectly reasonable for the customer to explore other options.

Surely any company should want to hear from customers when they are dissatisfied and thinking of taking their business elsewhere. I'm constantly astonished at companies that know it costs them hundreds of dollars to acquire a new customer, but don't seem to want to know what the problem was when that customer leaves. Every complaint is free marketing feedback, and a golden opportunity to win the customer's loyalty, often by the most trivial of actions.
Nov 17, 2012
790 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
Had the same experience with Home Hardware out in a rural area. They complained loudly to me about not getting a cut of online sales. I was 30 minutes away, so I'm not going in, making an order and then making a 2nd trip to pick it up.

Now they're out of business - so maybe they were on to something ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4631 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
It happened to me when I ordered over the phone for a pickup at Pizza Nova and used a contest winner for potato wedges. I didn't think much of it but I still am a good customer of theirs and order most in store.

As this is in the entrepreneurs and business Forum, I can feel a little for franchisees. I know, a few of us that have businesses can say "that's what happens when you ride someone else's coat tails". But I hate when they are running a business and they get into these bad franchise deals like this and a forced to foot extra bills or labour.

I think it's OK for a franchise to (politely) mention this if you are a returning customer that repeatedly uses the service. But they need to offer more to get over the convenience issue. Call the store, or perhaps they make sure to have a list of your common supplies well stocked at all times.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3566 posts
264 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm not sure why you guys are so upset. Home Hardware are franchises - the local store has nothing to do with the "online" store. If they don't get a "cut" of online sales, they are doing work and not getting paid for it.

As mentioned above, perhaps Home Hardware needs to come up with a better system to compensate them but I can see why the brick stores don't want to have to deal with online orders.
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
39 upvotes
Would the store not be willing to provide you with an email address that you could "submit" an order for and then have it ready for you to pick up and pay for? That would be a great customer experience, for me anyway, as well as supporting local.

Too often some small businesses get upset, but don't offer a comparable experience for their customers.

Does shipping to a local store prevent shipping fees vs. shipping to your home?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7125 posts
897 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
The local stores should be complaining to the franchise, not the customer. Definitely sucks for the stores if they aren't getting a cut of the sales. Something Home Hardware needs to work out.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2508 posts
1106 upvotes
Calgaryish
User921571 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 12:58 pm
I had made a few orders through online ordering (5) in the past for a few waxing jobs. Finally this week, I went to pickup my latest order (utility buckets, floor buff, spray bottle, dry mop and pad, vacuum bags) and I was more or less growled at by the csr.

It was explained to me that the local stores do not like online ordering because the store does not get a "cut" and that I should be coming into the store and ordering through them anyway. I was so put off by the way the csr was speaking to me that I simply walked out of the store and didn't pickup my order that I had already paid for.
In all fairness, the store employee was just being brutally honest. Most people don't think about how franchises work - they're expensive and restrictive for the franchisee.

Imagine if Tim Horton's implemented online ordering, but didn't bother to pay the franchisee anything beyond the raw food costs. It's unsustainable.
Mar 26, 2005
217 posts
178 upvotes
St Clements, MB
BTW, I'm in the Winnipeg area. In Manitoba, Home Hardware locations are always "out in the country" such that there are no stores in Winnipeg and my nearest store in in Selkirk, a small city of 10,000. Why are there a lack of Home Hardware locations in major urban centres?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5134 posts
1325 upvotes
Kootenays
At our local Home Hardware, you can place an order over the phone through their (the local store's) customer service dept and the order will usually arrive on the next truck. The truck arrives on Thursday and the item is ready for pick-up on Friday.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13852 posts
2365 upvotes
Toronto
Continue to order online. Who cares they don't get a cut. Not your problem.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4390 posts
2037 upvotes
Vancouver
Wow I've never experienced anything like this anywhere. That takes a lot of guts for a store to do.