Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Hardware

Weiser Powerbolt2 - Satin Nickel Only $67.47 ymmv

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2017 3:19 pm
Sep 26, 2004
82 posts
23 upvotes
Nova Scotia

[Home Hardware] Weiser Powerbolt2 - Satin Nickel Only $67.47 ymmv

Weiser Powerbolt2 on sale 50% off.

Picked one up today, possible price match with homedepot $114.00.Image
Last edited by Evader2000 on Mar 30th, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Sep 25, 2003
191 posts
93 upvotes
Oshawa
It shows up as the regular price for me. Maybe a local sale?
May 30, 2010
341 posts
517 upvotes
Shows on sale for me. Did you select a store first. Located in bc.
Sep 26, 2004
82 posts
23 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Got mine in Halifax area, may be eastern only, shows on sale at Payzants Home Hardware Lower Sackville NS
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
This is a good price for an electronic lock, but you should be aware of this locks weaknesses.

First of all this lock is rated as BHMA Grade 3. Most other Weiser electronic locks are grade 2, and Schlage electronic locks are grade 1. If you have a window located within arms reach of the deadbolt, then the rating of the deadbolt is irrelevant.

This lock only has 5 combination buttons. Since most people like to choose 4 digit code, this lock would only allow for 625 different combinations compared to 10,000 combinations on a lock with 10 buttons. Of course this lock allows you to program up to a 10 digit code which would bring the possible combinations up to 9.7 million combinations. It would take an 6 digit combination on this lock to exceed the security of a 4 digit combination on the 10 button locks. So the security is available, but be sure to use longer codes.

If you were to program in a code of 1-2-3-4 , then only those exact buttons would unlock a 10 button lock, but on a 5 button lock there are 16 possible codes that would unlock this lock. All these following combinations would work. Each one is just a different way of saying press the first button twice and then the second button twice. This makes it easier for someone to stumble across a combination that will work.

1-2-3-4
1-1-3-3
1-1-3-4
1-1-4-3
1-1-4-4
1-2-3-3
1-2-4-3
1-2-4-4
2-1-3-3
2-1-3-4
2-1-4-3
2-1-4-4
2-2-3-3
2-2-3-4
2-2-4-3
2-2-4-4

Edit: Changed possible number of combinations from 17 to correct value of 16 after error was pointed out to me
Last edited by Rick007 on Mar 30th, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
4473 posts
3843 upvotes
Ontario
Best to program a five digit code that uses all five buttons. So they wear evenly. Of course more digits, more security, but also more room for errors. This lock is supposed to make life easier (especially one button lock), not harder, which a long digit code would be.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12833 posts
6665 upvotes
Out here in manitoba the 2 locations around me.Not sure i want this or a bluetooth one.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1661 posts
511 upvotes
Rick007 wrote:
This lock only has 5 combination buttons. Since most people like to choose 4 digit code, this lock would only allow for 625 different combinations compared to 10,000 combinations on a lock with 10 buttons. Of course this lock allows you to program up to a 10 digit code which would bring the possible combinations up to 9.7 million combinations. It would take an 6 digit combination on this lock to exceed the security of a 4 digit combination on the 10 button locks. So the security is available, but be sure to use longer codes.
I have the PowerBolt Version 1 and after you enter multiple wrong codes the buttons no longer work. But yes, if you use a longer code the chances of someone randomly guessing it is smaller. I think the chances of someone unwanted opening your door is from you giving out the code or your kids accidentally giving someone the code, rather than someone guessing it. Also if someone really wants to get in your house that badly they'll just break down the down/window.

It does have the ability to enter two codes, so when I was doing renos I set the 2nd code and gave that the contractor to use to get in the house. After he was done with the reno I set the code to something else.
Last edited by tatung on Mar 31st, 2017 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 26, 2010
43 posts
20 upvotes
Penticton
I bought one today, then when I was driving home I figured I should have bought another one for the back door. I stopped in at Rona as I was driving by to get a PM. Manager wouldn't PM. Here is a list of the reasons he tried to use to deny it:

1. Because it was way below their cost.
2. Because the item was on sale, it had to be regular price :facepalm:
3. If it was advertised in a flyer, they didn't have to match the price :facepalm:
4. There must be a manufacturer rebate (I did not get a rebate, it was an advertised sale item)

I pulled up the Price Match Guarantee on their website, and asked where it says any of those are reasons not to PM. He just said sorry, he couldn't do it. I overheard him tell a CSR that cost for them was $90.
Banned
Jan 11, 2016
446 posts
325 upvotes
Made in Canada
Rick007 wrote: This lock only has 5 combination buttons. Since most people like to choose 4 digit code, this lock would only allow for 625 different combinations compared to 10,000 combinations on a lock with 10 buttons. Of course this lock allows you to program up to a 10 digit code which would bring the possible combinations up to 9.7 million combinations. It would take an 6 digit combination on this lock to exceed the security of a 4 digit combination on the 10 button locks. So the security is available, but be sure to use longer codes.
If an idiot spends his time going through 625 codes to get into my door. He deserves to steal my stuff.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
How is this? Looking for an electronic deadbolt combo for a new home.
Blanka
Jan 14, 2017
712 posts
400 upvotes
I've used this for many years and would never buy another - the schlage unit is significantly better and worth the price difference. I got mine for $100. The issue - which you will notice immediately after using, is the use of a battery to move the bolt is a terrible design. Unless your door is perfectly aligned, there may not be enough torque to move the bolt in or out completely and it gets worse in cold weather. The schlage design uses a manual bolt - meaning you turn the bolt yourself.
Mar 13, 2006
505 posts
485 upvotes
Just poking fun at the math... It's 2^4 =16 combinations.

1-2-3-4 was counted twice....
Rick007 wrote: This is a good price for an electronic lock, but you should be aware of this locks weaknesses.

First of all this lock is rated as BHMA Grade 3. Most other Weiser electronic locks are grade 2, and Schlage electronic locks are grade 1. If you have a window located within arms reach of the deadbolt, then the rating of the deadbolt is irrelevant.

If you were to program in a code of 1-2-3-4 , then only those exact buttons would unlock a 10 button lock, but on a 5 button lock there are 17 possible codes that would unlock this lock. All these following combinations would work. Each one is just a different way of saying press the first button twice and then the second button twice. This makes it easier for someone to stumble across a combination that will work.

1-2-3-4
1-1-3-3
1-1-3-4
1-1-4-3
1-1-4-4
1-2-3-3
1-2-3-4
1-2-4-3
1-2-4-4
2-1-3-3
2-1-3-4
2-1-4-3
2-1-4-4
2-2-3-3
2-2-3-4
2-2-4-3
2-2-4-4
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2086 posts
773 upvotes
Toronto
I like mine, I use it on an inside door (in the garage). However, I do find the buttons to be too mushy.. hard to push quickly.
Banned
Jan 11, 2016
446 posts
325 upvotes
Made in Canada
dealisdead wrote: I've used this for many years and would never buy another - the schlage unit is significantly better and worth the price difference. I got mine for $100. The issue - which you will notice immediately after using, is the use of a battery to move the bolt is a terrible design. Unless your door is perfectly aligned, there may not be enough torque to move the bolt in or out completely and it gets worse in cold weather. The schlage design uses a manual bolt - meaning you turn the bolt yourself.
I have the schlage one and I find myself changing the battery every 2-3 months, and it takes 4 AA batteries... Not sure if i have a defect but I'm pretty sick of it.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
donduck wrote: Just poking fun at the math... It's 2^4 =16 combinations.

1-2-3-4 was counted twice....
You are right, glad to see someone passed my little test (actually surprised anyone reads my posts).

I didn't notice that when I posted, but I should have realized the correct value had to be a power of 2. The number 17 should have stood out as being impossible.
Jan 14, 2017
712 posts
400 upvotes
BiteSizeThumb wrote: I have the schlage one and I find myself changing the battery every 2-3 months, and it takes 4 AA batteries... Not sure if i have a defect but I'm pretty sick of it.
This is the one I have.

In the two years I've had it, I don't remember changing the batteries. I would say you have defective batteries/unit.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
BiteSizeThumb wrote: I have the schlage one and I find myself changing the battery every 2-3 months, and it takes 4 AA batteries... Not sure if i have a defect but I'm pretty sick of it.
The problem is more likely to be a mechanical alignment problem ( or you lock/unlock the door more than a dozen times a day). If there is any resistance to the bolt sliding, the electrical current will increase by a considerable amount.

If you have a separate deadbolt and handle, the handle should be adjusted so that when the door is closed, there is no pressure on the sliding bolt of the deadbolt. The deadbolt should slide just as easily when the door is closed as it does when the door is opened. You should be able to operate the lever on the inside just by pushing on one end with a single finger.

Also make sure that you are using good quality brand name alkaline batteries.
Jan 24, 2016
173 posts
99 upvotes
Bought two from Lowes the other day! Got them PM w/ Walmart + save the tax. All in $142. Install is very easy!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)