• Feb 24th, 2007 12:31 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 16, 2005
515 posts
Toronto

home inspection question

hey guys,

we purchased a home late last year (october) and got it inspected and the report came out fine. now we moved into the place a month ago and whenever it snows water starts seeping into the walls of two of the rooms and one side of the basement and there is even a buildup of mold on the walls behind the bed. we removed it once but it came back after the recent snowfall here in toronto.
now i'm wondering what i can do about it and if the inspector or his company are liable in any way because the whole point of getting a house inspected is to avoid headaches like these right after you move in.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
478 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Your home inspector probably had you sign a document prior to handing over his report. On that document it would have stated something along the lines of "advice" and "I cannot see behind walls" and "not liable for any problems with the house"

If the items you mention were not present or visable on the surface at the time the inspector was there, there is no way he/she could have known about it.

What you mention may even be an easy fix with proper caulking, filler or redoing the flashing.
May 23, 2004
700 posts
43 upvotes
Best case you could hope for would probably be a refund on the amount of the inspection--but even that's pretty unlikely because of what BuildingHomes said above.
Jun 22, 2003
635 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
This is from our inspectors site, I would imagine they are all similar:

Agreement

The Client requests the inspection of the Subject Property subject to the following limitations and conditions:

The inspection is based on a visual examination of the readily accessible features of the building, and is performed in accordance with the Standards of Practice of the American Society of Home Inspectors and Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors.

The written report provided after the inspection is an opinion of the present condition of the property. The inspection and report are not a guarantee, warranty or an insurance policy.

I have read, understood and accepted the terms of this agreement and the limitations and conditions stated below.

Limitations and Conditions

1. The inspection is not technically exhaustive. Such inspections are available at much greater cost.

2. Without dismantling the house or its systems, there are limitations. Clues and symptoms often do not reveal the severity of problems. Some problems present no clues during the inspection. These will not be identified. For example, we will not find shower stall leaks that occur only when someone is taking a shower. Other conditions are only visible when furniture is moved or carpets are lifted.

3. The purpose of a home inspection is to examine buildings to evaluate the condition of the components and determine whether systems are performing their intended functions. We do not evaluate the quality of indoor air or determine if there are irritants, pollutants, contaminants or toxic materials or organisms in the home including such things as mold or mildew. We may use the presence of mold to aid in our evaluation of the building itself, since the moisture, which supports mold growth, may damage the building components or systems. However, we will not comment on the implications of the presence of mold itself.

4. Emphasis is placed on major expenses. While some minor problems are found when looking for major items, an all-inclusive list of deficiencies will not be provided.

5. Costs reported provide an order-of-magnitude only. Contractors should be contacted for specific quotations.

6. The report is not complete without the Bottom Line, report forms and reference text.

7. We will have no liability to the Client for any claim or complaint if conditions have been disturbed, altered, repaired or replaced or otherwise changed before we have had a reasonable period of time to investigate.
Apr 16, 2005
515 posts
Toronto
not exactly what i was hoping for but it looks like nothing can be done.
thanks for the info guys.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2280 posts
20 upvotes
I did not know why I opted for a home inspection... it feels like a waste of money.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
Azxster wrote: I did not know why I opted for a home inspection... it feels like a waste of money.
There are a lot of people out there that have no idea what to look for and how to inspect a home. How many people go into the attic on there own to inspect when shopping for a home????
It is to help give a idea on the condition and look at things a little more closely then the average person.

There are no guarantees
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
7197 posts
2000 upvotes
1) call your realtor if he /she advised on the home inspector and ask what can be done)
2) Call the inspection company and speak to the manager see if they can come and have a look at it

I know one inspection company that didn't properly inspect the roof, when the roof had to be replaced (soon after the purchase) the company paid $6000 for the replacement -

if you don't ask - you won't get !
Apr 30, 2006
318 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
There's usually no warranty to the service.

I did feel that I learned a lot during the home inspection. The inspector pointed out a lot of things to me and helped me understand the house that I was buying.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
7432 posts
2245 upvotes
Etobicoke
Hiring a home inspector to inspect a home is like hiring a stock analyst to predict the stock market.

While they know more than you about their field of expertise, and they'll take their best educated guess, they can't predict the future. Much less guarantee the future.

So, be very clear about what you're getting in a home inspection. You're simply getting advice from someone who knows more about home construction, maintenance etc. than you do. But you're not getting any guarantee that what they say is correct or thorough.

Their main job is to appease you and to give you some peace of mind. Not to provide home warranty.
Jan 23, 2004
359 posts
16 upvotes
For problem like this, can you goto small claim court to get your repair money back from previous owner because they didn't disclose the info when listing? That's if the cost of repair is high. Or it's a buyer's beware situation. Nothing much you can do.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12253 posts
858 upvotes
rb wrote: ...I know one inspection company that didn't properly inspect the roof, when the roof had to be replaced (soon after the purchase) the company paid $6000 for the replacement -...
Wow. I have never in my life seen an inspection co. that doesn't have specific terminology in their contract preventing exactly that sort of legal liability. I still find this hard to believe, actually.
Oct 10, 2006
929 posts
89 upvotes
Halifax
One of the best things about having a pro home inspection is using the results of the inspection to try and get a lower price if they find something wrong. That would be the only reason personally i would use one.

~C