• Nov 19th, 2019 12:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1564 posts
107 upvotes

Home Insurance Suggestions [Interior BC]

Hi Folks,

Since I took out my policy in 2017 my Home Insurance with Square One has steadily risen. It's not exorbitant, but I'm wondering if there's better options?

Tried searching for threads, but having no luck.

What do you fine folks suggest? Jump on Kanetix and do a quick quote shop? Stick with Square One?

Thanks!
5 replies
Mar 31, 2013
169 posts
849 upvotes
Courtenay, BC
errational wrote:
Nov 18th, 2019 12:51 pm
Hi Folks,

Since I took out my policy in 2017 my Home Insurance with Square One has steadily risen. It's not exorbitant, but I'm wondering if there's better options?

Tried searching for threads, but having no luck.

What do you fine folks suggest? Jump on Kanetix and do a quick quote shop? Stick with Square One?

Thanks!
I had a bitch of a time finding someone to insure an older mobile home on its own land, as a rental property on Vancouver Island....it was simply insane what they wanted, if they would insure at all.
I ended up going with Sonnet online, full replacement for about $600/year vs $2800/year(best quote from insurance brokers)......it is a very quick quote, don't have pages and pages of info to fill out........of course, insurance is only as good as the company providing it, hope I never have to find that out!!
Oct 22, 2016
262 posts
173 upvotes
Comox Valley
Sonnet is my go to also. Had 3 homes with them, and now 2 as I sold one. Their prices were by far the best. Customer service was good, on putting a mortgage company on policy.

I can not speak on how they handled claims, as I have not had one.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1485 posts
1342 upvotes
Vancouver
If you are interested in your home insurance being good for something, not just cheap, check out the experiences of people who lost their homes in some of the major forest fires. Friends who went through the major Kelowna fire in 2003 mentioned to me that their BCAA insurance was great, very helpful and sympathetic, while other cheap insurers were pressuring their customers to sign off a total claim within 48 hours while they were still recovering in an evacuation centre.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2436 posts
917 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I was actually wondering how big a factor forest fire risk and the absurd rate for trades in B.C. are contributing to insurance premium increases. I doubt anything even spec/contractor grade can be (re)built for $200/s.f. these days.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1564 posts
107 upvotes
Did a quote through Sonnet and it's around $30 / mth cheaper than Square One for seemingly the same coverages. Most likely will go that way.

Thanks all!