Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
5658 posts
534 upvotes
GT-EH

Home invasion/break-in the neighbourhood happening lately

Been living in the area since the early 90s and it's been no issue. These couple of years, my neighbourhood seems to have alot of break-ins/home invasions and it just get to a point where I am a bit paranoid. I have friends that got their house broken into and expensive things taken such as jewelries, game consoles, cash, etc. Just recently, my neighbour house got broken into while they were out of town so this is the reason I had to bring this topic up :(

I am starting to see people frequently ringing my doorbell with soliciting when I clearly indicate no soliciting with a sign on the front porch. This concludes to me someone is just trying to see who's home. I am sure there are some other tactics they are doing.

As a homeowner, what should you do to protect your property? Any better preventive measures? I already have a security alarm system running 24/7 and a surveillance camera system to be coming soon.
24 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Uh, where is this?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
474 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Teenagers are bored and the price of meth is going up.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1300 posts
365 upvotes
Toronto
If you dont have an alarm system, you can try that for piece of mind. Fake cameras will deter alot aswell.
Both are usually useless as most do smash and runs. Ie. bust rear sliding glass door, master bedroom jewellery, family room PS4, and their gone.

I suggest buying a safe from Costco and cement it down in a random hidden room. Keep cash/jewellery/etc in it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Continue to report your concerns to the local PD and request more police traffic.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1284 posts
486 upvotes
BC
My house got burgled on Saturday afternoon a few years ago. The dude parked his pickup truck right in my driveway, rang the front doorbell to see if anyone was home, then went around back and used a tool to pry open a locked window, went in and searched the house to find something to steal (a computer) and then left. He was seen at the front and back by neighbours who thought he was probably a friend or the home owner so they didn't call the cops!

I have read that burglars sometimes park at the end of a street and wait until it looks like someone has just left their house.

Back then there were several burglaries in the neighbourhood and cops figured it was a gang of druggies from the "bad" side of town who tend to target a specific area.

Since then whenever the house is empty we leave lights on and a stereo or TV on so it looks like someone is home. Other things like better locks, additional fencing and window strengthening, etc. We now have BlockWatch too.
Jul 19, 2004
157 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Just a few days ago, my husband was up at around 2:30 am and heard strange noises from the patio door. Because the California Shutters were slightly open, he turned on his flashlight and shone it through the patio door window panes. He actually asked me the same morning if I was opening drawers noisily around that time but I said I was fast asleep. Just yesterday, a neighbor / friend tells me there were a few home break-ins that day and the police were investigating.

We aren't prepared for burglary and my husband did have goosebumps. I know that it's best to comply with the intruders' demands, seeing how most of house contents are insured and getting hurt or killed isn't just worth it. (Which reminds me to take a video tour of the house soon for insurance purposes).

What are the best steps to take?

Do we just tell them we've already contacted the police, they're on their way but please take whatever you want?
What kind of weapons can a homeowner successful use against possible assailants who are aggressive and wanting to hurt us, throw kitchen knives and swing baseball bats at them? We don't want to further feed any possible aggression and not sure if we should even put up a fight.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2007
1023 posts
174 upvotes
GTA ON
pinkypop wrote: Just a few days ago, my husband was up at around 2:30 am and heard strange noises from the patio door. Because the California Shutters were slightly open, he turned on his flashlight and shone it through the patio door window panes. He actually asked me the same morning if I was opening drawers noisily around that time but I said I was fast asleep. Just yesterday, a neighbor / friend tells me there were a few home break-ins that day and the police were investigating.

We aren't prepared for burglary and my husband did have goosebumps. I know that it's best to comply with the intruders' demands, seeing how most of house contents are insured and getting hurt or killed isn't just worth it. (Which reminds me to take a video tour of the house soon for insurance purposes).

What are the best steps to take?

Do we just tell them we've already contacted the police, they're on their way but please take whatever you want?
What kind of weapons can a homeowner successful use against possible assailants who are aggressive and wanting to hurt us, throw kitchen knives and swing baseball bats at them? We don't want to further feed any possible aggression and not sure if we should even put up a fight.
Given your situation, i would have installed bright sensor lighting in the backyard. Iif possible, lock your gates, so it wouldn't be as easy to get into backyard.
Jul 19, 2004
157 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Deevusone wrote: Given your situation, i would have installed bright sensor lighting in the backyard. Iif possible, lock your gates, so it wouldn't be as easy to get into backyard.
Good points. Damn neighbor to the right only fenced his property. Glad a new neighbor adjacent to our backyard is moving in.

What happened to Neighborhood Watch in Canada?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3802 posts
1276 upvotes
look at statistics... every 1 in 10 homes are broken in every year.... the safest bet is to get a dog. Alarm can work too but don't be surprised if cops don't show up on time.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
pinkypop wrote: Good points. Damn neighbor to the right only fenced his property. Glad a new neighbor adjacent to our backyard is moving in.

What happened to Neighborhood Watch in Canada?
Your neighbors are supposed to fence your property too?
Jul 19, 2004
157 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
BinaryJay wrote: Your neighbors are supposed to fence your property too?
We paid $600 for our share so we aren't imposing.

Are you getting more space at your home or still complaining about how space is a luxury where you reside? Maybe you can invite a burglar or two to make more space for you?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
Burglaries are rarely random. 99% of the time the house is scoped out for weeks in advance to learn your habits and when you are home and not home and for how long.

They are also more common that you think. For those in york region, have a look at the online crime map when you have some time. You might be surprised at the crimes committed not too far from where you live. Perhaps even on your street.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
pinkypop wrote: We paid $600 for our share so we aren't imposing.

Are you getting more space at your home or still complaining about how space is a luxury where you reside? Maybe you can invite a burglar or two to make more space for you?
I have no idea what you're going on about or how any of that has anything to do with fences.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: I have no idea what you're going on about or how any of that has anything to do with fences.
Perfect response for someone who got owned. The thread topic is about break-ins and pinkypop legitimately suggested something that you may find useful to get more space out of your home. She did respond to your comment on the fence by the way. :)
Banned
Sep 1, 2012
1783 posts
78 upvotes
some roofer is doing some repair... that lead me more worries since i dont know these guys
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
alanbrenton wrote: Perfect response for someone who got owned. The thread topic is about break-ins and pinkypop legitimately suggested something that you may find useful to get more space out of your home. She did respond to your comment on the fence by the way. :)
I still have no idea what a neighbors fence has to do with the amount of space I have for storing crap in my house. Completely off topic and if I got owned I still don't know why so that's fine by me. I would have liked to see your pre-edited post, though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)