Home & Garden

Home monitoring with The Monitoring Centre and others: How much do you pay?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 5:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15899 posts
3209 upvotes
Toronto

Home monitoring with The Monitoring Centre and others: How much do you pay?

How much do you pay for The Monitoring Centre or other monitoring companies? We own a wired system and when I signed up it was $9.99 for a year pre-paid, plus they gave 6 months free, for a total of 18 months.

Afterwards they jacked up the price to $12.99 per year pre-paid, which works out to $176.14 for the year.

Later on when I complained about the price increase, they offered pricing of $270.92 for two years, which brings it back down to $9.99 per month (or $12.99 per month the first year plus $6.99 per month for the second year), but of course it meant locking in for 2 years and paying up front.

Is that your experience? How does the pricing and lock-in period compare these days? I'm not interested in a self-monitored system.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2841 posts
591 upvotes
Oshawa
EugW wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:27 am
How much do you pay for The Monitoring Centre or other monitoring companies? We own a wired system and when I signed up it was $9.99 for a year pre-paid, plus they gave 6 months free, for a total of 18 months.

Afterwards they jacked up the price to $12.99 per year pre-paid, which works out to $176.14 for the year.

Later on when I complained about the price increase, they offered pricing of $270.92 for two years, which brings it back down to $9.99 per month (or $12.99 per month the first year plus $6.99 per month for the second year), but of course it meant locking in for 2 years and paying up front.

Is that your experience? How does the pricing and lock-in period compare these days? I'm not interested in a self-monitored system.
Rogers Smart Home Monitoring - Assure Package (2 year contract ... $34.99+taxes per month ... NO installation/activation fees ... ZERO Upfront Cost for Hardware)
24/7 Central Monitoring
2-way Voice
3 Door/Window Sensors + 3 older Door/Window Sensors (from my original package) ... total 6 Door/Window Sensors
Motion Sensor + an older Motion Sensor (from my original package) ... total 2 Motion Sensors
Smart Light Bulb
Day/Night HD Camera + an older Day/Night HD Camera (from my original package) ... total 2 Cameras
Weiser SmartCode 10 Touchpad Door Lock
Touchpad (rental)

*** the New Equipment will be owned after 2 year contract expires ... the older equipment is already owned and paired with the system ***

Technician also installed a DEDICATED CAT to plug into the NetGear WiFi Router (supplied at no charge) for the Camera connection.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2014
1072 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:00 am
Rogers Smart Home Monitoring - Assure Package (2 year contract ... $34.99+taxes per month ... NO installation/activation fees ... ZERO Upfront Cost for Hardware)
24/7 Central Monitoring
2-way Voice
3 Door/Window Sensors + 3 older Door/Window Sensors (from my original package) ... total 6 Door/Window Sensors
Motion Sensor + an older Motion Sensor (from my original package) ... total 2 Motion Sensors
Smart Light Bulb
Day/Night HD Camera + an older Day/Night HD Camera (from my original package) ... total 2 Cameras
Weiser SmartCode 10 Touchpad Door Lock
Touchpad (rental)

*** the New Equipment will be owned after 2 year contract expires ... the older equipment is already owned and paired with the system ***

Technician also installed a DEDICATED CAT to plug into the NetGear WiFi Router (supplied at no charge) for the Camera connection.
What gear was Rogers brought to be installed? I got lots of Smarthings in my place so maybe I can integrate with alarm.

I currently pay $9.99 on 2 year contract with Deluxe after suggesting in going to Home Monitoring.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2841 posts
591 upvotes
Oshawa
RFD6482 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:35 pm
What gear was Rogers brought to be installed? I got lots of Smarthings in my place so maybe I can integrate with alarm.

I currently pay $9.99 on 2 year contract with Deluxe after suggesting in going to Home Monitoring.
Here's the link to the hardware that Rogers carries for their SHM:

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/smar ... ipn=1#tab2
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8792 posts
1195 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Its not really worth it in my opinion. Lets say somebody breaks into your house while you are away or at work. The alarm company will call you and ask you want you want to do. Lets say you tell them send the cops (instead of a security guard) The police will NOT put your call as priority, they will get to you when they can which is usually a few hours later & at this point whoever broke into your home is long gone with whatever they got their hands on.

Now if you send a Security Guard, he will show up lets say 20-30min later, again the thief is already gone IF my change the thief is still there, what is the security guard going to do, especially if he has a weapon? Nothing because they dont have gun or other useful weapons, they may call the cops but again how long will it take the cops to get there?

Take those $10/month or more depending on the company you are with and invest it in security cameras (they are a deterrent for amateur thiefs) at least this way you will have a video of who it is and it also serves are extra security for other things that go around your house. OR use the money for a dog.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2014
1072 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sickcars wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:58 pm
Its not really worth it in my opinion. Lets say somebody breaks into your house while you are away or at work. The alarm company will call you and ask you want you want to do. Lets say you tell them send the cops (instead of a security guard) The police will NOT put your call as priority, they will get to you when they can which is usually a few hours later & at this point whoever broke into your home is long gone with whatever they got their hands on.

Now if you send a Security Guard, he will show up lets say 20-30min later, again the thief is already gone IF my change the thief is still there, what is the security guard going to do, especially if he has a weapon? Nothing because they dont have gun or other useful weapons, they may call the cops but again how long will it take the cops to get there?

Take those $10/month or more depending on the company you are with and invest it in security cameras (they are a deterrent for amateur thiefs) at least this way you will have a video of who it is and it also serves are extra security for other things that go around your house. OR use the money for a dog.
You also get a home insurance discount Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4476 posts
465 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
sickcars wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:58 pm
What the security guard does is check the perimeter of the home for any signs of break in or damage or anyone in the home. If they are issued a key they will also enter the house to observe.. You are then advised of the results.
Especially handy if you are no where near home such as vacation, Many of our clients use this service with us as a backup to that.
If there is still someone on the property they will contact the police immediately with an eyewitness account the police will be there extremely fast.

Please do not discount the usefulness of security guards.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8792 posts
1195 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The issue is that by the time the Security Guard gets there is likely around 15-20min depending on where you live & where they are. So chances are they will not see somebody at the time & if they do you think they are going to wait for him to contact the police and then on top of that for the police to arrive. Even if after all of this is said and done and its around 30min your valuables are already gone. Most people would have family/friends on their call list also if needed.

As mentioned, I dont think the service is worth it with security guard or not. If its a vacation home then maybe as you mention but again its not like the security guard is going to catch and hold onto the thief especially if they have a weapon.
BuildingHomes wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 4:05 pm
What the security guard does is check the perimeter of the home for any signs of break in or damage or anyone in the home. If they are issued a key they will also enter the house to observe.. You are then advised of the results.
Especially handy if you are no where near home such as vacation, Many of our clients use this service with us as a backup to that.
If there is still someone on the property they will contact the police immediately with an eyewitness account the police will be there extremely fast.

Please do not discount the usefulness of security guards.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4476 posts
465 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
sickcars wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 4:21 pm
The issue is that by the time the Security Guard gets there is likely around 15-20min depending on where you live & where they are. So chances are they will not see somebody at the time & if they do you think they are going to wait for him to contact the police and then on top of that for the police to arrive. Even if after all of this is said and done and its around 30min your valuables are already gone. Most people would have family/friends on their call list also if needed.

As mentioned, I dont think the service is worth it with security guard or not. If its a vacation home then maybe as you mention but again its not like the security guard is going to catch and hold onto the thief especially if they have a weapon.
Again, just to clarify what a guard service does..
If they witness someone at the property they contact the police with a Crime In Progress and the police will be there very very quickly.
It is not a the guards job to detain anyone.
It is the guards job to see if anything has happened and report back so that action can be taken.
This is extremely helpful to those again who may be out of the country for an extended period of time.
Guard service is usually the last on the call list, meaning if none of the others on the call list respond then a guard is dispatched to investigate and advise.
If someone did break in then the property is damaged and potentially compromised. This is reported back so that appropriate action can be taken.
Better to know that as opposed to just having a broken window or busted in door sitting open for anyone else to check out while you are away for the next couple of months.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8792 posts
1195 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Ok and thats fine, my original post is not arguing that the Security Guard does not come and do something. I'm saying that in my opinion its not worth paying for the service because by the time the police get there they will be gone and you are not going to catch anybody.

If the alarm goes off you have neighbours that can probably contact you, Or you can setup something to notify you if needed and you can ask somebody to go to the property and check out it so your window would not be broken and left open for a long time.

I just dont see enough benefits to pay for this service any longer (we still do) based on my situation which is probably very similar to others.
BuildingHomes wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 4:44 pm
Again, just to clarify what a guard service does..
If they witness someone at the property they contact the police with a Crime In Progress and the police will be there very very quickly.
It is not a the guards job to detain anyone.
It is the guards job to see if anything has happened and report back so that action can be taken.
This is extremely helpful to those again who may be out of the country for an extended period of time.
Guard service is usually the last on the call list, meaning if none of the others on the call list respond then a guard is dispatched to investigate and advise.
If someone did break in then the property is damaged and potentially compromised. This is reported back so that appropriate action can be taken.
Better to know that as opposed to just having a broken window or busted in door sitting open for anyone else to check out while you are away for the next couple of months.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4476 posts
465 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Many of the properties we work on are large and many have a secluded frontage. Neighbours who also do a lot of out of town travelling for months at a time.
All depends on the client.