Home & Garden

Home Monitoring/Security Recommendations?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2017 4:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 16, 2013
104 posts
26 upvotes

Home Monitoring/Security Recommendations?

Can someone please recommend, in their experience, a home monitoring service that's reliable but also good value for money? Appreciated!
30 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4302 posts
330 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
This has been asked and answered every week. Just look back a bit and you will find.

Not sure where you are either as it will vary across the country.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
[OP]
Aug 16, 2013
104 posts
26 upvotes
BuildingHomes wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:57 pm
This has been asked and answered every week. Just look back a bit and you will find.

Not sure where you are either as it will vary across the country.
Thanks man. I did do a search on home security using the search function could not find anything, I will look back and see if I can find what you're referring to.

In Vaughan Ontario, by the way.
[OP]
Aug 16, 2013
104 posts
26 upvotes
Could not find previous threads, still looking for recommendations.
Nov 13, 2013
254 posts
65 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Veritate wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 1:27 pm
Could not find previous threads, still looking for recommendations.
I dont remember the link but we got it from ADT. There current promotion is you get a camera door bell, video recording (cloud), sensors on all windows and doors on lower level and basement windows, sensors on all doors(including balcony etc) for $37/month. 3 year contract.

Compared it with rogers and it was way better because of the hardware (sensors etc) they offer.
Oct 18, 2009
3 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
NES alarms. We pay 22$ a month but signed a 5 year contract, locking in with them ensured we didn't pay for the equipment. If we break the term we'll end up having to pay for the touch pad if I'm not mistaken
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1524 posts
266 upvotes
Markham
Veritate wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 2:32 pm
Can someone please recommend, in their experience, a home monitoring service that's reliable but also good value for money? Appreciated!
Are you talking about self monitoring or 3rd party monitoring?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7285 posts
372 upvotes
Best value would be Think Protection or TMC and buy the equipment up front. You don't want to pay any more than that for home monitoring as most of us know if someone really wants to break in, they can no matter what you install.

OP, if you are not going with these two, just make you read the fine print before signing any contract. Good luck.
[OP]
Aug 16, 2013
104 posts
26 upvotes
BDSL wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 9:23 am
Are you talking about self monitoring or 3rd party monitoring?
3rd party monitoring to call the police in case of break in
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1524 posts
266 upvotes
Markham
Veritate wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 12:20 pm
They don't call the police right away. They will try to reach you and then ask if you want to dispatch police.
And when police is dispatched (there is a fee), it will take them 30-60 mins before arriving at your home. This is low priority to them.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9022 posts
3112 upvotes
Ottawa
BDSL wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 12:46 pm
They don't call the police right away. They will try to reach you and then ask if you want to dispatch police.
And when police is dispatched (there is a fee), it will take them 30-60 mins before arriving at your home. This is low priority to them.
I was having this exact discussion with a guy on my slo-pitch team last Friday. He's pretty high up at Chubb Edwards and has worked his way up over the years. He straight up told me he'll never pay a bloody penny for monitoring, it's a rip off. I asked him if he has an alarm installed. He says he does but refuses to pay for monitoring gimmick. He gets texts when the door opens and his kids come home from school. He gets texts anytime something happens. He says after hearing client complaints he can drive home from pretty much anywhere in the city faster than the cops will show up. If he's out of town he'll call one of his neighbors to see if the house has been broken into. If anything were to happen he would place a call himself to police and they would show up much much sooner than a call center reporting hundreds of false alarms to police every day.

Police calls from alarm monitoring companies probably fall under missing dog report on the police priority list. Too many false positives to take waste already limited resources on.

Just sharing what he told me...
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1524 posts
266 upvotes
Markham
Cas77 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 1:03 pm
I was having this exact discussion with a guy on my slo-pitch team last Friday. He's pretty high up at Chubb Edwards and has worked his way up over the years. He straight up told me he'll never pay a bloody penny for monitoring, it's a rip off. I asked him if he has an alarm installed. He says he does but refuses to pay for monitoring gimmick. He gets texts when the door opens and his kids come home from school. He gets texts anytime something happens. He says after hearing client complaints he can drive home from pretty much anywhere in the city faster than the cops will show up. If he's out of town he'll call one of his neighbors to see if the house has been broken into. If anything were to happen he would place a call himself to police and they would show up much much sooner than a call center reporting hundreds of false alarms to police every day.

Police calls from alarm monitoring companies probably fall under missing dog report on the police priority list. Too many false positives to take waste already limited resources on.

My colleague's wife works for one of those 3rd party alarm monitoring companies. Same with my brother's friends. Very similar stories I heard.

I prefer self monitoring with no monthly fee. As soon as someone steps on my driveway/backyard, I already get a notification. I can see from my self monitoring camera who is on my property. If needed, I can have a remote 2 way communication with the person. If the person decides to kick the door, I call the police myself. And/or I will notify my neighbours and they will check it out. My neighbours work from home or have retired.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
433 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Veritate wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 12:20 pm
Police don't respond to alarm calls
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
433 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Cas77 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 1:03 pm

BDSL wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 8:36 am
My colleague's wife works for one of those 3rd party alarm monitoring companies. Same with my brother's friends. Very similar stories I heard.

I prefer self monitoring with no monthly fee. As soon as someone steps on my driveway/backyard, I already get a notification. I can see from my self monitoring camera who is on my property. If needed, I can have a remote 2 way communication with the person. If the person decides to kick the door, I call the police myself. And/or I will notify my neighbours and they will check it out. My neighbours work from home or have retired.
Monitoring is just for insurance discount really . So you have to work out if the annual savings is enough to justify the $10-15 a mth for monitoring