Boxing Day 2016 Deals

[Home Outfitters] Lagostina Hotel-Clad 12pc 5 ply stainless steel cookware set - $199

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2016 4:50 pm
[OP]
Feb 15, 2012
991 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto

[Home Outfitters] Lagostina Hotel-Clad 12pc 5 ply stainless steel cookware set - $199

Anyone looking for a decent stainless steel set should look at this lagostina set. down from $1099 to $199. I checked it out in person and it is quite hefty, but other wise good quality and probably has fast even heating.

it consist of 5 layers of metal (same combination as zwilling sensation/Demeyere):

the middle layer is an aluminum alloy, more rigid than pure aluminum but slower heat transfer. you could think of it as a tri-ply but with a really thick aluminum sandwich. I compared it to the zwilling Sol II sigma ply next to it and it is definitely thicker/heavier.
the only thing missing from it is flared lips and etched measurements inside the vessels. none the less, it still seems like a great cookware deal this boxing day.

15 replies
[OP]
Feb 15, 2012
991 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto
kaikin wrote:
Dec 24th, 2016 12:46 pm
How do these compare to the Henckels Passion set on sale at the bay for $300 on boxing day?
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 70-002--24
The zwilling henckels are encapsulated base construction. Will not have as much even heat distribution on the side walls. Go pick up the passion set and you will notice it's lighter than the zwilling ply sets and the walls are much thinner
Dec 20, 2006
537 posts
143 upvotes
Not bad but I would really recommend getting pans with rounded edges. totally worth it. Every year you can find a tryply set for 200$
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1799 posts
65 upvotes
Vancouver
Bianco will have the ceramic coating fall off pretty darn fast. If you do lagostina, dont do ceramic.
spot finder
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1131 posts
387 upvotes
Regina
I have had these for 5 years now and love them. Very little sticks to the pots. I tend not to use the frypan though because i have a cast iron one. They have held up very nicely and I have used them daily. I even throw them in the dishwasher from time to time. I had cheaper lagostina previously which were thin and cheap - these are far better and I would highly recommend.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
1111 posts
150 upvotes
Ottawa
espanolguy wrote:
Dec 25th, 2016 11:45 am
I don't believe the best buy set comes with the 2 open skillets?
Yeah this on my list till I saw the description. May go with the Tramotina set on Walmart (US) and go cross border to pick it up. Looking for a nice tri-ply all clad set without All-Clad prices lol
Aug 30, 2015
47 posts
14 upvotes
noxlord wrote:
Dec 24th, 2016 11:55 pm
Not bad but I would really recommend getting pans with rounded edges. totally worth it. Every year you can find a tryply set for 200$
I'm long overdue to replace my cookware set (and under-researched) and am trying to decided if I should jump on this.

Would you mind helping catch me up a bit on the advantage rounded edges, advantage of tryply and any examples of what kind of $200 that we've seen in the past I should keep an eye out for?
[OP]
Feb 15, 2012
991 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto
setlist wrote:
Dec 26th, 2016 12:17 pm
I'm long overdue to replace my cookware set (and under-researched) and am trying to decided if I should jump on this.

Would you mind helping catch me up a bit on the advantage rounded edges, advantage of tryply and any examples of what kind of $200 that we've seen in the past I should keep an eye out for?
rounded edges help to pour without spilling down the sides. tri-ply helps with fast and even heating even up to the side walls (important for making sauces, gravy, rice, not so much for boiling pasta). right now the zwilling sol II is onsale at best buy for $270 (was 250 yesterday), tri ply, rounded edges, and etched measurements inside. lowest I have ever seen for that one
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2003
3706 posts
10 upvotes
I have Cuisinart set, although not this one - a more basic one. It is great and going strong for almost 10 years now. No skillet in the above set and kind of useless 1L pot, but good price overall.