• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2017 1:16 pm
[OP]
Feb 9, 2014
65 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto

Home Owner General Maintenance evening course

I love the contents of this course and as a home owner want to do one. Tired of getting ridiculous quotes from even handyman type people of small things around and in the house.

http://www.tsob.ca/general-public-courses/

But living in the East end, going to Hamilton is not possible. Does anyone know of a place that teaches such course/skills in Scarborough/Markham/Pickering/Ajax area ?
10 replies
[OP]
Feb 9, 2014
65 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, location wise this works perfectly as I am in Durham region. Did the Electrical course have some hands on time or all theory ? The upcoming one has closed registration, so will have to watch for Winter courses.

Plumbing one starting on 29-Sep is still open, so might enroll in that.
Jan 15, 2010
333 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
nav2014 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:00 pm
Thanks, location wise this works perfectly as I am in Durham region. Did the Electrical course have some hands on time or all theory ? The upcoming one has closed registration, so will have to watch for Winter courses.

Plumbing one starting on 29-Sep is still open, so might enroll in that.
The electrical course was just about 50/50. First hour was theory. 2nd was hands on building circuits. You really learn a lot. The instructor (Thomas) was great.

I was told the plumbing is a lot more theory. But still worth it.

And I was told wood working was a lot of hands on and good as well.

I think they are really worth it.
Dec 5, 2016
105 posts
14 upvotes
Are there any other good courses in the York Region or Toronto area?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
766 upvotes
Paris
Lee valley? Local high school? I have a lot of woodworking tools and my wife wanted to learn how to use them when we got married so we took a woodworking course through the local board of Ed as adult night classes. Was awesome. I have heard Peel does the same thing, and some people just take the class for access to the higher end machinery.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3395 posts
2598 upvotes
Toronto
FYI, TDSB has these for adults for $245. See page 29 of the PDF booklet here:

LINK
Home Maintenance & Renovating-Beginner
This course is designed to teach you the
basics of maintaining and improving
your home. Learn to do a variety
of common repairs. Topics include:
essential tools and how to use and
maintain them; fix a leaky tap; repair your
driveway; install flooring or suspended
ceilings; fundamentals of dry-walling;
upgrade indoor and outdoor lighting;
concrete work and much more. Learn
about building codes and which
renovations give you the best return for
your money.

Thistletown CI 20 Fordwich Crescent
Tue 6-8:30pm Sep 19 11wks $245 ($162sr) 85412

Western Tech 125 Evelyn Crescent
Thu 6:30-9pm Sep 21 11wks $245 ($162sr) 85772
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2014
4107 posts
818 upvotes
Toronto
nav2014 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:12 pm
I love the contents of this course and as a home owner want to do one. Tired of getting ridiculous quotes from even handyman type people of small things around and in the house.

http://www.tsob.ca/general-public-courses/

But living in the East end, going to Hamilton is not possible. Does anyone know of a place that teaches such course/skills in Scarborough/Markham/Pickering/Ajax area ?
100% respect for taking the time to learn the basics. I had a client pay $500 to get her kitchen sink P-trap replaced.

More homeowners should take the time to know the basics.
Last edited by CdnRealEstateGuy on Sep 28th, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Agent and Real Estate Sales Representative
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
766 upvotes
Paris
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 4:16 pm
100% respect for taking the time to learn the basics. I had a client pay $500 to get her kitchen sink replaced.

More homeowners should take the time to know the basics.
If I was buying a $500-1000k house and asked for the sink to be replaced I would ask it be done by a pro not DIY. I'm super handy but have seen the stupidity of most folks.

My favorite 2 stories of DIY I found in our current house...
1) 9'6" x7'8" deck framed on 48" centres. So many questions...
2) instead of a screw in the deadbolt plate on the door jamb there was a 5" nail hammered in. Where did they even get a 5" nail that would fit (was like a framing nail, not a landscaping nail). Took me a while to find this one.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2014
4107 posts
818 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 11:39 pm
If I was buying a $500-1000k house and asked for the sink to be replaced I would ask it be done by a pro not DIY. I'm super handy but have seen the stupidity of most folks.

My favorite 2 stories of DIY I found in our current house...
1) 9'6" x7'8" deck framed on 48" centres. So many questions...
2) instead of a screw in the deadbolt plate on the door jamb there was a 5" nail hammered in. Where did they even get a 5" nail that would fit (was like a framing nail, not a landscaping nail). Took me a while to find this one.
YIKES! I wrote that wrong...I was wondering what the heck you were talking about.

I meant to say $500 for a kitchen sink P TRAP!!! Can you justify that?

PS - Just to add, it was a copper drain. So you just need to unfasten and replace (unlike the glued ABS).
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Agent and Real Estate Sales Representative
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
766 upvotes
Paris
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 12:49 pm
YIKES! I wrote that wrong...I was wondering what the heck you were talking about.

I meant to say $500 for a kitchen sink P TRAP!!! Can you justify that?

PS - Just to add, it was a copper drain. So you just need to unfasten and replace (unlike the glued ABS).
P-trap? Heck no. I understand why the plumber would charge at least $250-300 plus materials though