Home security camera system

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2016 8:13 pm
[OP]
Dec 19, 2010
307 posts
20 upvotes

Home security camera system

Looking for a simple security camera system for my home, 2 cameras front and back of home, 1080p with good night vision as well and with DVR inside home for recording video and ability to access live stream through phone.

I want a standalone, zero-maintenance solution that just works.

Any recommendations for packaged deals that I can buy and install on my own? Or any good installers in the GTA offering a packaged installed deal? I'd like to keep it under $500, hoping this is realistic if I only need 2 cameras and have a 1TB hard drive already.
6 replies
May 28, 2009
953 posts
344 upvotes
Belleville
Not going to happen for that price installed. I purchased a Lorex system with 2 cameras 1080P and it was $400 taxes in. I had to run the Cat5e myself. Installation will be fairly expensive.
Mar 29, 2011
959 posts
370 upvotes
The 6ix
Keep an eye out for Newegg sales. You can get a 4 camera 8 channel Nvr system for around $500 but you'll have to get your own HDD. With black Friday just around the corner there should be some good deals coming up.
Don't go with anything less then 8 channels, you'll want the extra channels just in case you need to upgrade in the future.

I was able to pick this system up for $450 earlier this month.
https://m.newegg.ca/Product/index?itemn ... 6881183059
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7592 posts
1811 upvotes
Toronto
callmebob wrote:
Nov 11th, 2016 3:06 am
Looking for a simple security camera system for my home, 2 cameras front and back of home, 1080p with good night vision as well and with DVR inside home for recording video and ability to access live stream through phone.

I want a standalone, zero-maintenance solution that just works.

Any recommendations for packaged deals that I can buy and install on my own? Or any good installers in the GTA offering a packaged installed deal? I'd like to keep it under $500, hoping this is realistic if I only need 2 cameras and have a 1TB hard drive already.
FlashFyre wrote:
Nov 11th, 2016 4:27 am
Not going to happen for that price installed. I purchased a Lorex system with 2 cameras 1080P and it was $400 taxes in. I had to run the Cat5e myself. Installation will be fairly expensive.
Agree with this. Even on sale, my 4+1(purchased an additional cam) was almost $500 and I did the install myself.
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7461 posts
1577 upvotes
Brampton
You guys all overpaid for your Lorex systems. Lorex for most part sells really crap kits. The cams are plastic bodied, the wiring sucks, they're literially just 1 step up from the generic chinese stuff. So you might as well go straight to the source which most of the time is Duhua or Hikvision or Q-see or Swann which for the same price you get better models.

Anyway I used a few of these sets and they're great for the price.

https://www.amazon.ca/Security-Ethernet ... e+1080+POE
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4302 posts
330 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Cheap. Easy. Good. Pick 2.

You will not find a professional come to your house to supply and install a camera system for $500. The labour alone will be at least that amount.
If you are looking for something that 'just works' then you are going to be spending more for the system and installation because the cheaper you go, the more you are going to be taking care of it yourself.

The Costco Lorex cameras as mentioned are very poor quality. Not something I would recommend because they do scratch easily.
We pretty much exclusively use the pro line from FLIR (disclosure: who owns Lorex). The FLIR stuff works very well and something we install weekly. But you are starting off at at least $1200 for a 4x4mp camera system.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
758 upvotes
Only reason I use Lorex from Costco is cuz of the easy setup for mobile. I can monitor anywhere. With those china companies who knows if the monitoring will be there in the future and if it doesn't work who to ask to fix it or call? At least with lorex u can just return to Costco if the setup doesn't work.