• Apr 22nd, 2017 7:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
18854 posts
115605 upvotes
GTA

Home Security Cameras

Looking for some recommendations regarding home security cameras. Do not plan to mount any outside, but to have them sitting inside facing out of windows and/or pointed at entry points. Main things I am interested in:

-Wireless (although wired for power, do not want to deal with batteries)
-Remote access via smartphone and alerts through an app when motion is detected, with an ability to review just-recorded footage
-No cloud storage/no paid subscriptions preferred
-The smaller in size the better (especially if you will be mounting in small spaces near windows), but not opposed to larger units such as Canary for indoor use (with additional sensors, etc.)
-720p quality should be OK (I believe most cams out there are now at least that)

Any thoughts from people who have invested in security cameras recently?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1034 posts
391 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Go higher res than 720p.
Expect window glare if it's dark out and the room where the camera is installed is lit. This will render the camera useless.
Temp. Banned
Feb 13, 2017
702 posts
808 upvotes
I bought the Xoami 1080 Square camera and threw in a 32gb micro sd card.

Love it so far. Cost me like $22 USD...and then I bought another one and placed it outside on the front door (under a porch)....so far been working fine for 1 month.

Then I got 2 more for my backyard and sideyard haha...literally spent like $80US and can view my whole house now through its app on 4 different cameras.

It also has night vision, motion detection (that sends you a 15 second clip when it sense motion), smoke alarm, Co2 alarm and a speaker I can talk through.

Its identical to the "ispot" camera that sells for $120Us each, expect this one is from china and the app is Chinese (but now has English language support).

Its does need a power outlet though. The cord it comes with is about 6 feet or so.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4433 posts
752 upvotes
Markham
Just saw something at Costco earlier today made by Flir. It has ultra high resolution. Iirc $150.

Not sure abour wireless or anything else, only was amazed at image quality.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7517 posts
1138 upvotes
Ontario
Get whatever camera that church in Toronto has, which was recently the victim of arson. The guy's face was clear as day!
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1034 posts
391 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
onlineharvest wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 5:09 pm
Get whatever camera that church in Toronto has, which was recently the victim of arson. The guy's face was clear as day!
Link?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7072 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 5:04 pm
Just saw something at Costco earlier today made by Flir. It has ultra high resolution. Iirc $150.

The FLIRs are rebadged Dahua product....and cheap plastic. HDCVI is not all that common. I'd do IP or HDTVI (Hikvision).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
18854 posts
115605 upvotes
GTA
gr8dlr wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 5:04 pm

Funny you should mention that, because I saw that in-store probably a month or two back (it was right up near the front as you walk in) and looked for online reviews, which unfortunately were very poor. I believe it is this one:

https://www.costco.ca/FLIR-Secure-Super ... 14240.html