• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2018 6:17 pm
[OP]
Dec 17, 2013
916 posts
394 upvotes
CALGARY

Home security recommendations.

Hello, We moved into a new community and looking for Home monitoring service. Gone through ADT, Vivint, Rogers, Telus and unable to decide which is good with less strings attached. I would strike off Vivint with the reviews they have and ADT is expensive with 5 yr terms. Thinking of Rogers, but anyone has something good to recommend? Also, would it be cost effective if I buy my smart deadbolt and cameras? This is in Calgary.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1754 posts
420 upvotes
Markham
What about self monitoring like Nest / Arlo?
You get notifications on your cell phone (and others if you want).
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2577 posts
508 upvotes
Oshawa
I got Rogers for $34.99 on a two year contract ... using my wife's account

2 Way Voice
24/7 monitoring
notifications via SMS or email or both to your phone and other phones when you set up the rules
1 Camera
3 Window / Door Sensors
1 Motion Sensor
1 Smart Bulb
1 Weiser Touchscreen Doorlock (instead of the Thermostat)

Paid $50 for the Doorlock only.
First month FREE.

The Technician also installed 3 more door/window sensors + 1 motion sensor + 1 camera ... that equipment belonged to my account which I cancelled on the same day of the installation.

I have been using Rogers SHM since it was released on the market ... have not had any issues at all.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1419 posts
288 upvotes
cec4111 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 11:23 am
Hello, We moved into a new community and looking for Home monitoring service. Gone through ADT, Vivint, Rogers, Telus and unable to decide which is good with less strings attached. I would strike off Vivint with the reviews they have and ADT is expensive with 5 yr terms. Thinking of Rogers, but anyone has something good to recommend? Also, would it be cost effective if I buy my smart deadbolt and cameras? This is in Calgary.
not sure if the home monitoring centre is available in Calgary, if so then consider them. Excellent reviews, and lots of love from around this forum for them.

Also, think protection if available is another you should consider.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2717 posts
1822 upvotes
The first question would be what you expect the home monitoring service to do.

If it's just to notify you immediately if there's any incident, then a self-monitored system will do that faster and better than a traditional service, and they support video and two-way audio without spending a lot.

If it's to get a discount on your home insurance, check your home insurance terms to see what qualifies and how much the discount is. Services like The Monitoring Center (TMC) are a cheap way to get a discount for "monitored alarm system", but they literally do nothing but have a human in a remote centre receive the alarm notification and relay it to you instead of having it come direct to your phone.

If it's to have a human call police/fire about an alarm when you aren't around, or to have a human dispatched to your home to investigate alarms, most inexpensive monitoring services don't do that. You'd need to pay for a premium home security service.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3325 posts
710 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 9:56 am

If it's to get a discount on your home insurance, check your home insurance terms to see what qualifies and how much the discount is. Services like The Monitoring Center (TMC) are a cheap way to get a discount for "monitored alarm system", but they literally do nothing but have a human in a remote centre receive the alarm notification and relay it to you instead of having it come direct to your phone.
I recently added home monitoring (burglary) to my home insurance and I think it saved me a whopping $17 a year
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8479 posts
751 upvotes
Toronto
I use Think Protection and it's the cheapest and has a free app support and function and working out great so far I love it
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1754 posts
420 upvotes
Markham
I have self monitor cameras. One time fee. No monthly payment. I know exactly what the alert is.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8479 posts
751 upvotes
Toronto
I'm hearing a lot of self-monitoring nowadays. Here is my question/concern, maybe someone can alleviate it:

What is the most important thing you want to protect in your house that's giving you a need for an alarm system?

Answer: your family (humans). Objects can all be replaced, that's why you have home insurance. Most people say they want an alarm to monitor when they are not at home or on vacation. that's actually false thinking. Again, you have home insurance.

When you are sleeping, that is the highest risk for danger to you & family members.

Let's say you have self monitoring:
1) someone with a gun breaks in at 3am, everyone is asleep,
2) your alarm goes off
3) the bad guys run up your stairs and goes into your son's room, or your room. How long would that take? 1 minute? 2 minutes?
4) points a gun at your wife/son/mom and demands you to turn it off, etc. money or whatever.

Now alarm is off, no one can call 911 because you have a gun pointed at you or your family.

So how does a self monitored system help in the above situation?

The weak link in self monnitoring is YOU have to call 911.

Monitored alarm:
With a monitored one, your alarm is triggered when someone breaks in, because you have motion sensors on the main floor or door, etc.

Alarm will go off, crooks run up demands you to turn it off. Let's say you turn it off.

But then, the alarm company will call you. Asks you for a password.

Then you give a password that you previously told them that is a "fake" password. meaning, when I say "unicorn", it means I am being held at gun point, I need police RIGHT NOW.

Alarm company will say "Thank you Mr. ____, good night". The crooks are satisfied, but meanwhile 911 was called by the alarm company.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3325 posts
710 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 10:14 am
I'm hearing a lot of self-monitoring nowadays. Here is my question/concern, maybe someone can alleviate it:

What is the most important thing you want to protect in your house that's giving you a need for an alarm system?

Answer: your family (humans). Objects can all be replaced, that's why you have home insurance. Most people say they want an alarm to monitor when they are not at home or on vacation. that's actually false thinking. Again, you have home insurance.

When you are sleeping, that is the highest risk for danger to you & family members.

2) your alarm goes off
3) the bad guys run up your stairs and goes into your son's room, or your room. How long would that take? 1 minute? 2 minutes?
4) points a gun at your wife/son/mom and demands you to turn it off, etc. money or whatever.

Now alarm is off, no one can call 911 because you have a gun pointed at you or your family.

Monitored alarm:
With a monitored one, your alarm is triggered when someone breaks in, because you have motion sensors on the main floor or door, etc.

Alarm will go off, crooks run up demands you to turn it off. Let's say you turn it off.

Then you give a password that you previously told them that is a "fake" password. meaning, when I say "unicorn", it means I am being held at gun point, I need police RIGHT NOW.

Alarm company will say "Thank you Mr. ____, good night". The crooks are satisfied, but meanwhile 911 was called by the alarm company.
My alarm has a separate code that appears to disarm the alarm but will immediately prompt a 911 call. (It’s a distress function )
Also motion sensors are off when you set your alarm to sleep, only the door/window sensors will trigger the alarm. Motion sensors are only on when you set to away

Self monitoring is for the young and paranoid who think cameras will save them.

Either way a monitoring system is just a deterrent for smash and grab thieves.
If someone really wants to come in and kill you, and alarm isn’t going to stop them
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1754 posts
420 upvotes
Markham
rfdrfd wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 10:14 am

2) your alarm goes off

Monitored alarm:

All alarm systems (self monitoring or 3rd party) are to deter break and entering. Even if it happens, it limits the amount of time the bad guys are inside your home, limiting the damage. Alarm systems are NEVER intended to protect humans. Trust me, you don't want to claim insurance . You will lose deductible. You will not be compensated for your lost time of cleaning, re-purchasing your stolen/damaged goods, etc. You will not be compensated if your dogs / cats were ran out the door and went missing. There are things that can't be purchased with money.

Some of the benefits of self monitoring systems (cameras):
- instant alerts (to everyone you want) when someone is on your property without going through a 3rd party
- confirmation exactly who and how many
- 2 way communication
- no monthly fee / contract

For the extreme situation (high risk of danger), I recommend you to look up self defense act (Canada) on what you can do and can't. Look up all previous court cases and outcomes. Install stronger doors/windows and frames, have the right "equipment", skills, plans, etc. If you and your family are prepared, you and your family will likely survive.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8479 posts
751 upvotes
Toronto
BDSL wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 1:36 pm
All alarm systems (self monitoring or 3rd party) are to deter break and entering. Even if it happens, it limits the amount of time the bad guys are inside your home, limiting the damage. Alarm systems are NEVER intended to protect humans. Trust me, you don't want to claim insurance . You will lose deductible. You will not be compensated for your lost time of cleaning, re-purchasing your stolen/damaged goods, etc. You will not be compensated if your dogs / cats were ran out the door and went missing. There are things that can't be purchased with money.

Some of the benefits of self monitoring systems (cameras):
- instant alerts (to everyone you want) when someone is on your property without going through a 3rd party
- confirmation exactly who and how many
- 2 way communication
- no monthly fee / contract

For the extreme situation (high risk of danger), I recommend you to look up self defense act (Canada) on what you can do and can't. Look up all previous court cases and outcomes. Install stronger doors/windows and frames, have the right "equipment", skills, plans, etc. If you and your family are prepared, you and your family will likely survive.
Good tips but it doesn't answer my question.

A monitored alarm can help protect humans. Because police is on their way.

Not everyone can carry and be able to use guns.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8479 posts
751 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 10:27 am
My alarm has a separate code that appears to disarm the alarm but will immediately prompt a 911 call. (It’s a distress function )
Also motion sensors are off when you set your alarm to sleep, only the door/window sensors will trigger the alarm. Motion sensors are only on when you set to away

Self monitoring is for the young and paranoid who think cameras will save them.

Either way a monitoring system is just a deterrent for smash and grab thieves.
If someone really wants to come in and kill you, and alarm isn’t going to stop them
Yours is monitored I assume? The distress code is a good feature.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3325 posts
710 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 4:43 pm
Yours is monitored I assume? The distress code is a good feature.
Yes mine is Rogers

You can also get notifications for door opening, alarm armed, disarmed etc.....via text message
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1754 posts
420 upvotes
Markham
rfdrfd wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 4:36 pm
Good tips but it doesn't answer my question.

A monitored alarm can help protect humans. Because police is on their way.

Not everyone can carry and be able to use guns.
I can tell you police aren't showing up in 1 minute. Much more longer if you live in the rural.
If the attackers intend to hurt or kill you, they will kick down the door, run up the stairs, kick down your master bedroom door, and standing over you....which only takes 10 seconds. If your doors and windows are stronger, maybe 30-60 seconds.

You can use whatever tools you have to defend yourself as you as you are legal to have them and not breaking any laws in the process.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)