• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2019 7:37 am
[OP]
Apr 26, 2009
259 posts
25 upvotes

Home Security System?

Hello!
We are in the middle of home reno and thought it's a great time to also install home security system. Would you please recommend some products? I am leaning toward a system that allow me to see activities through my phone (video or photo) when alarm is triggered, or something along the line. I am not so interested in the old fashion system that the security company will call you when an alarm is triggered. Thanks so much in advance!!
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28080 posts
13894 upvotes
Ottawa
Check out Ring Alarm.
You can pay for professional monitoring, or monitor yourself.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2004
1787 posts
418 upvotes
gta
get some yi cams and some security warning stickers from aliexpress . attached stickers to all sides of your house . place cams by windows where it is visible to outsiders.
if u have home monitor alarm cancel it, alarm still work just dont need to pay monthly services .
done! u are good to good

no need to waste big money on all these alarm companies and expensive cams like nest
[OP]
Apr 26, 2009
259 posts
25 upvotes
Thanks I'll definitely look into it!
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 7:15 pm
Check out Ring Alarm.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2009
259 posts
25 upvotes
Yeah it's an old house we just purchased and there are some security features but we have no clue if they work or not. LOL to security warning stickers! We got broken into in our apartment last year so now we are super paranoid!
DealDemon wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 7:23 pm
get some yi cams and some security warning stickers from aliexpress . attached stickers to all sides of your house . place cams by windows where it is visible to outsiders.
if u have home monitor alarm cancel it, alarm still work just dont need to pay monthly services .
done! u are good to good

no need to waste big money on all these alarm companies and expensive cams like nest
Nov 8, 2012
418 posts
206 upvotes
London, ON
just installed Wyze cams in mounting cases in the front and back. They are $37 each on amazon, super easy to use and install, please great software and features. IMO much better than Yi cams for the software and support alone
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28080 posts
13894 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 7:15 pm
Check out Ring Alarm.
I have a no affiliation with Ring, but you cant go wrong with 24/7 professional alarm monitoring at USD $100 annually, after up front hardware costs.
I actually got $10 monthly discount off my home insurance.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5726 posts
2098 upvotes
Alberta
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 9:36 pm
I have a no affiliation with Ring, but you cant go wrong with 24/7 professional alarm monitoring at USD $100 annually, after up front hardware costs.
x2. Ours is monitored by ADT but the cost is about $1/day or $105 including GST every 3 months.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2004
1787 posts
418 upvotes
gta
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 9:48 pm
x2. Ours is monitored by ADT but the cost is about $1/day or $105 including GST every 3 months.
I get was with ADT when we bought the house from the previous owner. This was 9yrs ago. One time my alarm went on, no one from ADT called me. Luckily my neighbor called me so I drove home from work (I work 10 min away from home). Checked around the house and it was a false alarm. After that day, I cancelled my alarm service right away. Just useless..
Now I just turn on my cams when I am going out and have notification send to me phone if there is movement detected.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2004
1787 posts
418 upvotes
gta
tingoting wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 7:33 pm
Yeah it's an old house we just purchased and there are some security features but we have no clue if they work or not. LOL to security warning stickers! We got broken into in our apartment last year so now we are super paranoid!

I have been doing this for over 7 yrs now. I have both yi cams and wyze cams. I agreed with the other poster that wyze cams are better but they are both very similar. Wyze is a bit cheaper
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5726 posts
2098 upvotes
Alberta
DealDemon wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 11:16 pm
I get was with ADT when we bought the house from the previous owner. This was 9yrs ago. One time my alarm went on, no one from ADT called me. Luckily my neighbor called me so I drove home from work (I work 10 min away from home). Checked around the house and it was a false alarm. After that day, I cancelled my alarm service right away. Just useless..
Now I just turn on my cams when I am going out and have notification send to me phone if there is movement detected.
We've never had a single issue with ADT yet. We had a couple of false alarms and once where there was an issue with a bad motion sensor and we got a call each time. They came by and replaced the motion sensor and it didn't cost me anything.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2009
259 posts
25 upvotes
Thanks! good point about the discount on home insurance! I'll look into that. I am leaning toward something like Ring but without the professional alarm part.
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 9:36 pm
[OP]
Apr 26, 2009
259 posts
25 upvotes
Thank you! is it just cams or there are also motion sensor, open/close sensor?
stilltippin wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 8:38 pm
just installed Wyze cams in mounting cases in the front and back. They are $37 each on amazon, super easy to use and install, please great software and features. IMO much better than Yi cams for the software and support alone
Nov 8, 2012
418 posts
206 upvotes
London, ON
tingoting wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 10:58 am
Thank you! is it just cams or there are also motion sensor, open/close sensor?
you can get the starter kit + 1 camera for $73, includes 2 door sensors and one motion sensor. to use the sensors you need to plug into the back of the camera, which you cant do if you mount in a case.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)