Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11412 posts
2390 upvotes
Montreal

Home test for allergy?

In the hopes of buying a cat, I want to test if my kids are allergic to cats but I don't want to go through the medical system. All they do anyway is scratch the skin, put some liquid and see if the person's skin reacts.

Is there such a thing in Canada, something I can order online? Otherwise I have them sleep over at a cat lady's house :P
3 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18471 posts
3608 upvotes
Thornhill
I'd suggest fostering a cat but if it doesn't work out, the kids may get too attached.

I fostered for 3 months before I adopted by as I was unsure about my personal allergies.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11412 posts
2390 upvotes
Montreal
coriolis wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 8:41 am
I'd suggest fostering a cat but if it doesn't work out, the kids may get too attached.

I fostered for 3 months before I adopted by as I was unsure about my personal allergies.
I didn't know that was a thing! Thanks for the suggestion!
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18471 posts
3608 upvotes
Thornhill
alkizmo wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 9:12 pm
I didn't know that was a thing! Thanks for the suggestion!
The shelter (Toronto Humane Society here) provided me with dry and wet food during the fostering period too, vaccines were taken care of as well. Many foster parents/families give back the animal at the end of term, for various reasons (too much work, health, commitment, kids, other animals, etc.) but during the period the animal is being fostered, it allows them to socialize as well. In addition, the kennels used for the fostered animals can be used for more rescue space for more animals.