Feb 1, 2008
2313 posts
149 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
r1lee wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 9:57 am

Hyperactiveme,
would love to see pics.

Sure, if i ever figureout how to post them here on mobile site.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7474 posts
383 upvotes
Scarborough
My receiver is an old 5.1 and does most of the digital sounds. I have been thinking about upgrading to a new 7.1 within my $250 to $400 budget.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7527 posts
372 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 11:32 am
i live in an apartment so i cant do more than this..and even this i run at 20-30% max volume for obvious reasons.
Submersive HP Subwoofer 2400w dual 15 inch drivers
Denon AHD-2000 closed cans (if i have people sleeping at my place)
Oh man. That sub is intense! Maybe I can get one and convince the wife it's really just a fancy end table ;)

Are your headphones long enough to reach your sofa? I'm thinking of using a pair of audio-technica headphones I have but I think the cord is too short... I have a pair of Sennheiser wireless but I've found them a bit underwhelming but I guess I get what I pay for ($55).
dOuble O wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 11:43 am
I'm thinking around 1000-1500 mainly I would like to invest in a good receiver as I can always upgrade on speakers.
I think there are plenty of receivers in the $500-750 price range that would work great. I was looking the other day and it seems all the major players have a 7.1 speaker, hdmi 1.4 3d ready, network interfacing, etc model in that price range.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7527 posts
372 upvotes
Menace wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 12:37 pm
My receiver is an old 5.1 and does most of the digital sounds. I have been thinking about upgrading to a new 7.1 within my $250 to $400 budget.

Hey it works. At my parents place I had an older 6.1 system setup with a projector onto a 96" screen. When it was first setup (6 years go?) it was the shizzles! Fast forward to today, the video is noticibly lacking (mediocre resolution, contrast, and brightness) but the audio still sounds great!

I think you'd be very happy in that price range. I got my VSX-920k last year for $299 and I'm very happy with it so far.

Do you have kids? I hope so with the Yo Gabba Gabba doll...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7474 posts
383 upvotes
Scarborough
$299, that is an exellent price.

Yes, I have a 2 1/2 old lol.

PS. Thanks for start a great thread!
Stock R wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 12:58 pm
I think you'd be very happy in that price range. I got my VSX-920k last year for $299 and I'm very happy with it so far.

Do you have kids? I hope so with the Yo Gabba Gabba doll...
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
4324 posts
93 upvotes
r1lee wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 9:57 am
fitbrit,
that's a very nice looking setup. Would love to see the ceiling. I was going to have molding put up on mine, but decided last minute that it didn't want it. So it's just flat.

Thanks. It's not as sophisticated as yours will be/is, but it works. I will try to take some pics of the ceiling this weekend. It's just rafters with Sonopan between them; everything is then painted the same grey as the walls. This actually looks kind of white on the ceiling, but isn't as reflective as real white. We were planning on covering the Sonopan with drywall, but honestly not a single on of our guests has ever noticed the ceiling or the ugly pipes running across the room. If I had more height to work with I would have loved to cover the joists and add a starfield ceiling. Unfortunately, we already lost up to 6" in height when leveling the floors.
Yes I do have heatware. Look over here! Yes, here! Heatware: fitbrit
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
4324 posts
93 upvotes
Stock R wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 10:33 am
Hey! I was looking at your stuff on avsforums! I even clicked on your links for the inflatable chairs. Very cool setup.

Thanks! The inflatable seats were necessary because the space has to do double duty as a gym. Even though it takes just a little time to clear the theater and go into a gym, I'm already reluctant to do this all the time (mainly because the theatre set up from gym takes a little longer). Right now it's set up for up to 7 people, but the gym can cohabitate with a 2-seater theatre just fine for most purposes. The inflatable seats are, of course, very light and can be stored taking up very little space. Plus they're cheap enough that they can be replaced easily, even if my 2 1/2 year old destroys one. In fact I already have two spares. I just added some matching grey cushions ($7 each at Sears.ca) and the seats are even more comfortable now - cushions needed for head support because fo the very laid back recline on the seats.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7918 posts
322 upvotes
dOuble O wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 11:43 am
I'm thinking around 1000-1500 mainly I would like to invest in a good receiver as I can always upgrade on speakers.

for me it would be the other way around. Speakers will last a very long time if you enjoy the sound coming out of them. The receiver is changed more often with all the new technology that's being put into them.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7918 posts
322 upvotes
fitbrit wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 1:52 pm
Thanks. It's not as sophisticated as yours will be/is, but it works. I will try to take some pics of the ceiling this weekend. It's just rafters with Sonopan between them; everything is then painted the same grey as the walls. This actually looks kind of white on the ceiling, but isn't as reflective as real white. We were planning on covering the Sonopan with drywall, but honestly not a single on of our guests has ever noticed the ceiling or the ugly pipes running across the room. If I had more height to work with I would have loved to cover the joists and add a starfield ceiling. Unfortunately, we already lost up to 6" in height when leveling the floors.

Ditto, i lost a few inches to radiant heating, dry packing and carpet, resilient channel and the riser.

I'm having Jeff the owner of Night Sky Murals to come and paint the ceilings in about 2 1/2 weeks. He's got a thread on AVS, check him out.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7527 posts
372 upvotes
Menace wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 1:38 pm
$299, that is an exellent price.

Yes, I have a 2 1/2 old lol.

PS. Thanks for start a great thread!
I was just casually browsing for a receiver at the time and I saw it for $299usd (vs $600 here?) and it came w/ the BT adapter for free. Basically no brainer. LOL. For my usage, it was perfect and having the MCACC auto setup was great. 1 year later I see the new features on the current X21 models and I'm just amazed!

NP. Never thought of starting a thread like this until a bunch of us (mostly R1Lee) hijacked the watch lover's thread ;)
fitbrit wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 2:00 pm
Thanks! The inflatable seats were necessary because the space has to do double duty as a gym. Even though it takes just a little time to clear the theater and go into a gym, I'm already reluctant to do this all the time (mainly because the theatre set up from gym takes a little longer). Right now it's set up for up to 7 people, but the gym can cohabitate with a 2-seater theatre just fine for most purposes. The inflatable seats are, of course, very light and can be stored taking up very little space. Plus they're cheap enough that they can be replaced easily, even if my 2 1/2 year old destroys one. In fact I already have two spares. I just added some matching grey cushions ($7 each at Sears.ca) and the seats are even more comfortable now - cushions needed for head support because fo the very laid back recline on the seats.

Do you have to constantly reinflate the seats? I'm looking for cheap seating right now but since I use the TV everyday, I can't imagine having to reinflate daily, even if it's just to add a few psi.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7527 posts
372 upvotes
r1lee wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 2:08 pm
for me it would be the other way around. Speakers will last a very long time if you enjoy the sound coming out of them. The receiver is changed more often with all the new technology that's being put into them.

Very true. The 301's I use for my rears are hand me downs and must be at least 15 years old. They work perfectly fine. Some people also believe speakers sound better the more they are broken in.

OTOH, technology moves so fast that receivers become obsolete quickly. At the time of my parent's HT, component cable and DVI was where everything is at. Now that receiver is completely obsolete as nothing uses component or DVI. Even current HDMI standards keep changing... Get a current 1.4 model and possibly in a year or 2, it wont' support the latest format.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7474 posts
383 upvotes
Scarborough
I would say no to daily inflation lol.

Comfy seating is super important in the home theater environment. I have a set of 20 years old sofa set (not in the picture) from our old house when we moved to Scarborough many years ago. My wife has been bugging me to get rid of it, but I said they are comfortable, maybe not good to look at :( I rather spend $$ on a good 7.1 receiver ;)
Stock R wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 2:17 pm
Do you have to constantly reinflate the seats? I'm looking for cheap seating right now but since I use the TV everyday, I can't imagine having to reinflate daily, even if it's just to add a few psi.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
4324 posts
93 upvotes
Stock R wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 2:17 pm

I think it's once every 2 weeks or so on average. It takes about 15 seconds per seat, maybe once a week if I were using the seats daily for several hours. Air temperature fluctuations have more of an effect than lost air though, so sometimes a seat can feel a little more turgid than it did the day before. The loungers are BIG though. The riser platforms with buttkicker I had build for each longer is 40" wide and 64" long, if you want somewhere to put your feet. The small platforms with the Aura or K-Woon shakers are 40" wide and 48" long. Basically with 2 rows of seating, plus Ottomans, you're looking at about 12-13 feet of room length used up.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7527 posts
372 upvotes
r1lee wrote:
Oct 31st, 2011 9:55 pm
stockR, here was my process

Many ways to do it. Here is the cheapest, then my way lol.

Look for posters on moviepostersdb.com. At least min of 150dpi.
Look for 1" stretch bars online, I think they range at $6+.
then your acoustic fiber board.

Here was what I did.

Bought movie posters from movieposters.com. $16+
took them to local scanner guy who can scan large image $30 a piece
After I had them printed on cloth, more info below.
I took them to local framing guy $55 for small up to $95 for the large.
Then the acoustic 5lb 1" fiber board. 12 * 2x4 = $100

Spoonflower.com is where I went to get the images printed.

Their first material, I think it's called cotton quilt. $18 yard is the best for allowing sound waves to pass through. This was tested to be as good as anything out there, but still offered enough material to give a decent image.

The small ones took 1yard each, whereas the larger ones took 2 yards, those on the side walls.

Maximum is 42" for width, No max length.

Ok. Project is up and rolling. Sourced a few images to use as posters. Found somewhere to order the stretcher bars. Found another place to order the acoustic board. Going to use spoonflower to print the posters.

Q's for you.

1) For your 1" depth stretcher bars, was 1" foam just right or a little too thick/thin? I'm going with 1.5" bars and wonder if I should go with 1.5" or 1" foam. I'd like the 1.5" for extra sound absorption but I"m afraid if it's too thick for the 1.5" bars, the fabric will puff out a bit.

2) For your smaller posters, did you find the cross bracing necessary?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7527 posts
372 upvotes
Menace wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 2:26 pm
My wife has been bugging me to get rid of it, but I said they are comfortable, maybe not good to look at :( I rather spend $$ on a good 7.1 receiver ;)
Comfort is super important. We had an old sofa set my parents bought for us but we decided to get a new main sofa cause the other one just wasn't comfortable. Ended up with a la-z-boy now that is nothing like what we would want it to look like... but it is SOOO comfortable that we can spend hours on it and sometimes end up falling asleep at night on it (darn recliners).
fitbrit wrote:
Nov 1st, 2011 4:03 pm
I think it's once every 2 weeks or so on average. It takes about 15 seconds per seat, maybe once a week if I were using the seats daily for several hours. Air temperature fluctuations have more of an effect than lost air though, so sometimes a seat can feel a little more turgid than it did the day before. The loungers are BIG though. The riser platforms with buttkicker I had build for each longer is 40" wide and 64" long, if you want somewhere to put your feet. The small platforms with the Aura or K-Woon shakers are 40" wide and 48" long. Basically with 2 rows of seating, plus Ottomans, you're looking at about 12-13 feet of room length used up.

Ah. Thats too much for me. I think I'd use it for 2+ hours a day so it wouldn't work for me. How do the buttkickers feel underneath an inflatable seat? Does it act as a buffer? Waterbed effect? I screwed my aura's directly to each recliner so I'm trying to imagine what your setup would feel like.
× < >