Home Theater Discussion Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 11:52 am
Tags:
None
Jan 8, 2017
407 posts
114 upvotes
smartnew wrote: Subwoofer need: Depends on how much you want to enjoy ;) You spend mostly on Movies or Music? if Movies, worth spending some on Active SW...I myself bought Polk HT10 which is way too much as most of times i keep it low so my neighbours dont get wall vibration ;)
Otherwise, if you dont want to spend another $200+ on SW, you can try with Polk Signature S60 L/R which has good Bass response & later always you can buy a SW if you are not happy....If you decide on Polk, do not settle anything below Signature series..Trust me...S60 blows you away ;) check in bestbuy , vision electronics etc & negotiate for best price...
My Screen : mine is Fixed not motorised as i got mixed reviews on motorized as they could wear & tear gradually & I am super happy with my fixed 120" screen. (i think mine is Elite or something..i ll try to find its model)
Receiver : several debates between Denon & Yamaha but most of them say Yamaha has better Reliability & Sound overall compared to Denon so i finally settled with Yamaha RX-A780 Aventage model & luckly got for CAD-600+tax ;) sometimes back....Its WoW....& dolby atmos blows me away....
if your space permits, go for dolby atmos. if u can mount ceiling speakers for dolby atmos rather than atmos-enabled or atmos-firing speakers (which are next alternative to ceiling), there are number of good budget speakers available...
Is this any good ?
Images
  • upload.jpg
Dec 18, 2017
305 posts
49 upvotes
aprilgermany wrote: Is this any good ?
Reviews look good for that price. I suggest that you take that, try out in your room.
FYI, i tried 3 different models for my HT before settling for Polk signature S60 including KEF....Nothing wrong with this approach...Reason is, sometimes reviews sound mixed but when we try in our room, it carries totally different ambience....
BTW, try to identify the best Center speaker (as we get atleast 70% overall from center)
I also read very good reviews about NHT Super Bookshelf speakers (amazon) for FL & FR if budget is the constraint...
Jan 8, 2017
407 posts
114 upvotes
smartnew wrote: Reviews look good for that price. I suggest that you take that, try out in your room.
FYI, i tried 3 different models for my HT before settling for Polk signature S60 including KEF....Nothing wrong with this approach...Reason is, sometimes reviews sound mixed but when we try in our room, it carries totally different ambience....
BTW, try to identify the best Center speaker (as we get atleast 70% overall from center)
I also read very good reviews about NHT Super Bookshelf speakers (amazon) for FL & FR if budget is the constraint...
Looked it up this is this a good deal ?
Images
  • upload.jpg
Dec 18, 2017
305 posts
49 upvotes
aprilgermany wrote: Looked it up this is this a good deal ?
which store is this from? canada or US?
As far as i know, usually not a great idea to buy as a package rather recommended to pick separate ones per your needs...
is ur max budget $2000 (Cad or USD??) for receiver+all speakers? what is your room size?
Jan 8, 2017
407 posts
114 upvotes
smartnew wrote: which store is this from? canada or US?
As far as i know, usually not a great idea to buy as a package rather recommended to pick separate ones per your needs...
is ur max budget $2000 (Cad or USD??) for receiver+all speakers? what is your room size?
Vision store in Canada max budget $2000cdn it will be in basement size around 2000sqft
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1983 posts
794 upvotes
Kitchener
aprilgermany wrote: Vision store in Canada max budget $2000cdn it will be in basement size around 2000sqft
If your budget is 2k, spend 1k on a good amp, check out the x3600h from denon as you may be able to get it from visions as they were selling it for 799 on boxing day. Then go on kijiji and pick up some used paradigm speakers. You'll be able to find at least a 5.1 set for around 1k used.
Dec 18, 2017
305 posts
49 upvotes
aprilgermany wrote: Vision store in Canada max budget $2000cdn it will be in basement size around 2000sqft
sorry for delay as too many things here ;)
Ok, can you pls specify your Room dimensions where you are planning to keep your PJ & screen and viewing distance between couch and screen, etc.?
Dec 18, 2017
305 posts
49 upvotes
peelhic wrote: If your budget is 2k, spend 1k on a good amp, check out the x3600h from denon as you may be able to get it from visions as they were selling it for 799 on boxing day. Then go on kijiji and pick up some used paradigm speakers. You'll be able to find at least a 5.1 set for around 1k used.
my 2 cents on this..
With 2k budget totally, better to spend the most (say atleast 70%) on good Speakers & then spend the rest in Receiver/Amplifier..as even a normal Receiver/Amplifier will make the very good speakers awesome experience Vs average speakers hooked to a great Receiver....
Jan 8, 2017
407 posts
114 upvotes
smartnew wrote: sorry for delay as too many things here ;)
Ok, can you pls specify your Room dimensions where you are planning to keep your PJ & screen and viewing distance between couch and screen, etc.?
It will be in basement Room is open but assigned size for home theater 18ft long 12ft wide Distance from screen to couch will be 16ft long
Dec 18, 2017
305 posts
49 upvotes
aprilgermany wrote: It will be in basement Room is open but assigned size for home theater 18ft long 12ft wide Distance from screen to couch will be 16ft long
WOW....thats pretty big size ;)
Are you going to mount ceiling speakers in your ceiling? ceiling drywall or suspended tiles like mine?
Dec 18, 2017
305 posts
49 upvotes
smartnew wrote: WOW....thats pretty big size ;)
Are you going to mount ceiling speakers in your ceiling? ceiling drywall or suspended tiles like mine?
Reason i asked this, you need to decide this if you WANT Dolby Atmos...
Say, if you cannot afford to do ceiling speakers (which is the best for Atmos), you need to use that budget for either Atmos firing front speakers OR normal Front speakers+Atmos-AddOn speakers...
Dec 18, 2017
305 posts
49 upvotes
I can share whatever i know (of course from what i re-searched when I set up my full HT)....
Receivers:
--Onkyo Vs Denon Vs Yamaha :
--Say, for same features/Spec, Yamaha is always the most expensive of all & then comes Denon leaving Onkyo the cheapest (& so better deals & more negotiating power) unless i miss something......i ve no clue on reason but heard generally Yamaha's build quality/Reliability is too good & some Heating up issues with Denon again depending on model i think..So personally i ended up buying Yamaha....
So it is totally up to you to be aware of Pros & Cons of brand & buy on your choice.
Main factors you need: How much Power you can give such as max Watts per Channel (mine is just 90W per channel with yamaha RX-A780 but thats more than sufficient for me), Dolby Atmos, how many HDMI IN/OUT ports you need depending on whether you will connect Bluray player, Gaming, etc. to this receiver....
Another important factor for me is 'Alexa Voice' control ;) which was must for me...dont ask me why ;) because i ve hooked my Receiver to Amazon fire Cube & i am able to fully control my things through voice command & using my Remote rarely...i like this way ;)
You should be able to get something under $650 or even lesser for this type of receiver...With total 2k budget, i wont recommend you to spend more than this for Receiver...
Speakers:
--i can only share what i have bought & experienced while of course relying on Reviews mainly from https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/
I am super happy with Polk Signature S60 if you are looking for not-too-expensive class....Good part about this is, they have very good Bass reproduction...
for Rear, you can just go with any normal Book shelf speakers & try to save as much as you can by spending more on Center & Front speakers...& of course a decent SW....
Jan 8, 2017
407 posts
114 upvotes
smartnew wrote: WOW....thats pretty big size ;)
Basement is finished and it has drywalls I would like theater experience so I think speakers in ceilings are necessary right ???
Jan 8, 2017
407 posts
114 upvotes
smartnew wrote: I can share whatever i know (of course from what i re-searched when I set up my full HT)....
Receivers:
--Onkyo Vs Denon Vs Yamaha :
--Say, for same features/Spec, Yamaha is always the most expensive of all & then comes Denon leaving Onkyo the cheapest (& so better deals & more negotiating power) unless i miss something......i ve no clue on reason but heard generally Yamaha's build quality/Reliability is too good & some Heating up issues with Denon again depending on model i think..So personally i ended up buying Yamaha....
So it is totally up to you to be aware of Pros & Cons of brand & buy on your choice.
Main factors you need: How much Power you can give such as max Watts per Channel (mine is just 90W per channel with yamaha RX-A780 but thats more than sufficient for me), Dolby Atmos, how many HDMI IN/OUT ports you need depending on whether you will connect Bluray player, Gaming, etc. to this receiver....
Another important factor for me is 'Alexa Voice' control ;) which was must for me...dont ask me why ;) because i ve hooked my Receiver to Amazon fire Cube & i am able to fully control my things through voice command & using my Remote rarely...i like this way ;)
You should be able to get something under $650 or even lesser for this type of receiver...With total 2k budget, i wont recommend you to spend more than this for Receiver...
Speakers:
--i can only share what i have bought & experienced while of course relying on Reviews mainly from https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/
I am super happy with Polk Signature S60 if you are looking for not-too-expensive class....Good part about this is, they have very good Bass reproduction...
for Rear, you can just go with any normal Book shelf speakers & try to save as much as you can by spending more on Center & Front speakers...& of course a decent SW....
We watch lots of sports, movies and love our music plus we have Fire stick and Google home so voice controls options are must as we have everything smart plugs to smart appliances and such....
Based on your recommendation I saw deal Polk pair of s60, hts10 SW, pioneer vsx-534 for $1198 is that any good ?
If it's no good deal what are my other options? Dolby and IMAX and such
Dec 18, 2017
305 posts
49 upvotes
aprilgermany wrote: We watch lots of sports, movies and love our music plus we have Fire stick and Google home so voice controls options are must as we have everything smart plugs to smart appliances and such....
Based on your recommendation I saw deal Polk pair of s60, hts10 SW, pioneer vsx-534 for $1198 is that any good ?
If it's no good deal what are my other options? Dolby and IMAX and such
I just looked at pioneer vsx-534 receiver back picture & see that you can only either connect Rear/Surround OR 2 Ceiling/Atmos speakers but cannot connect both.
For your room size, I strongly recommend to grab a Receiver which lets you connect atleast below:
Front Left & Right speakers
Center speaker
2 Rear/Surround Speakers
+
Atleast 2 Ceiling speakers

Look at the back side picture of that receiver yourself & you will understand what i am talking about unless there are somewhere 2 additional for ceiling speakers which i am missing to see...
Dec 18, 2017
305 posts
49 upvotes
smartnew wrote: I just looked at pioneer vsx-534 receiver back picture & see that you can only either connect Rear/Surround OR 2 Ceiling/Atmos speakers but cannot connect both.
For your room size, I strongly recommend to grab a Receiver which lets you connect atleast below:
Front Left & Right speakers
Center speaker
2 Rear/Surround Speakers
+
Atleast 2 Ceiling speakers

Look at the back side picture of that receiver yourself & you will understand what i am talking about unless there are somewhere 2 additional for ceiling speakers which i am missing to see...
Also, I do not think that the Receiver supports Alexa or Google Voice control if that is your requirement. As i said, very unlikely that you ll find all good pieces when buying as a package and hence i recommended to hand pick as per your needs...
check out Onkyo TX-NR636 , etc. if budget is limited
Jan 8, 2017
407 posts
114 upvotes
smartnew wrote: Also, I do not think that the Receiver supports Alexa or Google Voice control if that is your requirement. As i said, very unlikely that you ll find all good pieces when buying as a package and hence i recommended to hand pick as per your needs...
check out Onkyo TX-NR636 , etc. if budget is limited
Ended up getting Onkyo 787, paradigm 6000f, atom bookshelf, center 2000 and v10 now looking for power surge protector and what gauge speaker cable and HDMI do I need ? Plus any deals of media center table and cable management clips as basement is finished thanks
Dec 18, 2017
305 posts
49 upvotes
aprilgermany wrote: Ended up getting Onkyo 787, paradigm 6000f, atom bookshelf, center 2000 and v10 now looking for power surge protector and what gauge speaker cable and HDMI do I need ? Plus any deals of media center table and cable management clips as basement is finished thanks
congrats
Speaker cable gauge: 16 gauge is usually fine but if you want to run it long, go for 14 or 12 gauge...
HDMI: I bought mine from costco stores & also from amazon.ca amazon HDMI cables. they should do the job. try not to settle from local cheap electrical stores as sometimes they are not well-built with needed quality to carry out 3D, etc. bandwidth....so even if you pay little more, its worth it....
Surge protector: I bought mine from local home depot stores with a switch model & also using one from https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DCR ... UTF8&psc=1 for my electric desk. so both do the job well....
cable management: In addition to small small cable knots, i finally have my cables (going out from back of my receiver) covered all by a black cable wrapper bought from local electrical stores....its neat & tidy actually...Look for your local electrical stores & ask them if they have....Home depot does not have this model.....
Media table: i bought one small corner media unit from a used market for $30 ;) to keep receiver, bluray player, discs, etc. i did not want to spend too much on these things ;) Again its individual & purely personal what you want.....
BTW how did you manage atmos speakers? and alexa control?
Jan 8, 2017
407 posts
114 upvotes
smartnew wrote: congrats
Speaker cable gauge: 16 gauge is usually fine but if you want to run it long, go for 14 or 12 gauge...
HDMI: I bought mine from costco stores & also from amazon.ca amazon HDMI cables. they should do the job. try not to settle from local cheap electrical stores as sometimes they are not well-built with needed quality to carry out 3D, etc. bandwidth....so even if you pay little more, its worth it....
Surge protector: I bought mine from local home depot stores with a switch model & also using one from https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DCR ... UTF8&psc=1 for my electric desk. so both do the job well....
cable management: In addition to small small cable knots, i finally have my cables (going out from back of my receiver) covered all by a black cable wrapper bought from local electrical stores....its neat & tidy actually...Look for your local electrical stores & ask them if they have....Home depot does not have this model.....
Media table: i bought one small corner media unit from a used market for $30 ;) to keep receiver, bluray player, discs, etc. i did not want to spend too much on these things ;) Again its individual & purely personal what you want.....
BTW how did you manage atmos speakers? and alexa control?
Thanks for the help...
Atmos still searching for better deal or what to get and confused as basement is finished and do not want to make any damage or holes for now...unless I can get some other options....And this receiver have Google assistant so will use Google home it
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
4203 posts
2132 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aprilgermany wrote: Thanks for the help...
Atmos still searching for better deal or what to get and confused as basement is finished and do not want to make any damage or holes for now...unless I can get some other options....And this receiver have Google assistant so will use Google home it
Check primecables

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)