37 upvotes
Ottawa

Home Theater Receiver with 4k/60Hz/HDR Pass through - Adapter Solution Found

Setup is as follows:
X900E Sony 4K TV
Nvidia Shield TV (2017)
Yamaha RX-V575 (used in a 5.1 setup)
Other non 4K HDMI devices.

I love my setup, with one main issue. The RX-V575 receiver is only compatible with HDMI 1.4, which won't allow 4k/60hz, nor any HDR signals. Those require something with HDMI 2.0 or greater. In the meantime, I have connected my devices directly to the X900E TV with HDMI. This allows the full beautiful 4K HDR pictures to be displayed without issue. I then use an optical audio cable to connect the TV to the receiver. This works well but is limited to very few surround sound audio formats. It can do Dolby Digital and DTS. It will NOT allow Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, TrueHD, or anything else of that nature. If those HD audio codecs are used, my system downgrades the whole thing to a 2 channel audio signal :( . If I plug my devices through my receiver over HDMI, I gain those audio formats, but lose the 4K HDR....

One solution is to purchase this device, the HD Fury AVR Key (https://www.hdfury.com/product/avr-key/), but at roughly ~$220 CAD, I feel that is an expensive solution that costs a bit much compared to what my RX-V575 set me back a few years ago ($350). I have yet to find another potential device / configuration that could work given my current set of equipment.

The other solution is to upgrade my receiver to one that can handle HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 (basically buy something that was made since 2015/2016). I don't need anything fancy at all. I just want something that can pump out some decent sound to my 5.1 speaker setup. I don't need fancy bells and whistles on the receiver itself, the Nvidia Shield takes care of all smart casting features that I could ever need. Anyone have any recommendations based on price and experience for a receiver that could fit my needs? Or does anyone have an alternative solution?
Last edited by mmx4000 on Nov 22nd, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1398 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
Get a dual-output (simultaneous) HDMI v2.0 splitter: one output to your TV, one output to your receiver.

https://www.amazon.ca/Portta-Premium-Sp ... 070&sr=8-3
https://sewelldirect.com/1x2-splitdeck- ... -splitter- (preferred as I've had issues with off-brand splitters from Amazon.ca. NOTE: USD product, ships from the US.)
Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.
[OP]
Jan 14, 2010
243 posts
37 upvotes
Ottawa
JPTN wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 12:20 pm
Get a dual-output (simultaneous) HDMI v2.0 splitter: one output to your TV, one output to your receiver.

https://www.amazon.ca/Portta-Premium-Sp ... 070&sr=8-3
https://sewelldirect.com/1x2-splitdeck- ... -splitter- (preferred as I've had issues with off-brand splitters from Amazon.ca. NOTE: USD product, ships from the US.)
This won't work, as it will downscale the signal to the lowest common resolution, which my receiver would limit. See the product quote...

"SplitDeck is an active 2-port splitter (aka distribution amplifier) which means that it actively amplifies and equalizes the input signal in order to perform at maximum spec. This also means that if you are running two different display resolutions, the splitter will run both displays at the lower resolution (this also includes HDCP signals)."
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1398 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
mmx4000 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 3:09 pm
This won't work, as it will downscale the signal to the lowest common resolution, which my receiver would limit. See the product quote...

"SplitDeck is an active 2-port splitter (aka distribution amplifier) which means that it actively amplifies and equalizes the input signal in order to perform at maximum spec. This also means that if you are running two different display resolutions, the splitter will run both displays at the lower resolution (this also includes HDCP signals)."
You're right. In my head, I was thinking that as long as the receiver isn't set to output video, it wouldn't handshake and therefore identify itself as limited to 1080p.
Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.
Mar 8, 2008
34 posts
7 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
Get a basic 2017 denon receiver, good quality, hdcp 2.2 and hdmi 2.0.
Feb 10, 2008
11 posts
mmx4000 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:00 am
So after quite a bit of searching, I stumbled upon this device that looks like it'll do the trick. I ordered one and will report back if it works out.

https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor ... B0755TB82Q
I'm almost in the exact same situation as you, except I have one of those 65" LG OLED sets, a 2017 Shield, and an old RX-V575
Will be interested to see if this works for you, as it looks like a great option.

Thanks for investigating :)
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1513 posts
296 upvotes
Kitchener
also very interested on hearing about this as I am in the same boat!
Feb 10, 2008
11 posts
Hey,
Just checking to see if you had obtained the product to see if it works for you?

PS Love the Dream Theater logo (just saw the I&W 25th Anniversary show a couple weeks ago)
[OP]
Jan 14, 2010
243 posts
37 upvotes
Ottawa
Hey folks, so I received the ViewHD UHD 18G HDMI Audio Extractor last night and it works!

The only caveat was that it was VERY picky as to which HDMI cables are sufficient to actually allow video and audio to pass through. I have since ordered some new HDMI cables that meet all the latest specs and standards.

My setup for testing was hooked up like this:
Nvidia Shield -----> ViewHD HDMI In
ViewHD HDMI Video Out ----> X900E 4K TV HDMI Input 2
ViewHD HDMI Audio Out ----> Yamaha RX-V575 HDMI In 5

TV was set to the Input 2, while the Yamaha receiver was set to HDMI 5, with no cables attached to the HDMI out of the receiver.

I tested Stereo, 5.1 DDP, 5.1 DTS-HD, and 5.1 TrueHD and they all worked like a charm, and 4K HDR content was being displayed perfectly with no noticeable audio / video sync issues either.

I'm going to come up with a cleaner setup when my new cables come in, but so far so good!