• Mar 21st, 2015 6:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes

Home theatre Advice!

I have a couple questions I wanted to ask. I am looking for a receiver and 5.1 speaker systems on a budget, I have the z5500 right now but since I got consoles and pc, I need a receiver.

Option A: Buy a new receiver, right now I am looking at Pioneer VSX-524($220) and 824($290), these are futureshop employee prices. Use z5500 with receiver
Option B: Buy one of those receivers and buy the energy take home classic 5.1 speakers for $399.
Option C:Buy used Pioneer vsx-521 for $100 and use the existing z5500 or get the polk audio(rm6750) for $150 used.
Option D: Any recommendations for better speakers under $400 with taxes

Update: So I received Fluance AVHTB with Precision Acoustics HD12S Sub along with Sony STR-DN850, All i can say is WOW!!! Sound is so crisp and clear and the woofer is really awesome, only thing is you have to calibrate it to get the right sound. These speakers are so worth it for the price. Also I got Energy take classic 5.1 and tried side by side, For my room I preferred Fluance over Classic, Those towers to make a difference. A big thumbs up for Fluance!

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
18 replies
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
Logitech Z-5500 ? those are powered speakers, you don't need a receiver for those ... can you use your computer as a player plug tv and z5500 to it and use it like that until you can get $ for better system ?
the energy take home classic and rm6750 are "Satellites" systems, I would prefer to get a receiver and 5 bookshelf (or 4 and a center) speakers for start and then ad to sub to it ... (used to save $) more $ but way better system
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
Not to knock all this new stuff, but there is very little that goes wrong with speakers and they will be the heart of the audio system. While new AV/receivers blow old stuff out of the water with new functionality like HDMI switching up scaling etc. I would consider one of the new AVR's and pick up the best set of used speakers the budget would allow.

If you're downtown Toronto check out Vintage Stereo Electronics Store 75 Nassau St. Last time I was in there they have a set of JBL studios for cheap and there is a lot of choices.
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
[QUOTE]... best set of used speakers the budget would allow ...[/QUOTE]

+1
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
lubmar wrote: Logitech Z-5500 ? those are powered speakers, you don't need a receiver for those ... can you use your computer as a player plug tv and z5500 to it and use it like that until you can get $ for better system ?
the energy take home classic and rm6750 are "Satellites" systems, I would prefer to get a receiver and 5 bookshelf (or 4 and a center) speakers for start and then ad to sub to it ... (used to save $) more $ but way better system
I am happy with z5500 and I am using Sound Blaster Z card with PC, but the issue is, I bought PS4 recently and I own a Benq W1070, Now everytime I want to switch sources, I need to unplug hdmi n switch optical. So its kinda fraustating.

I am leaning towards the Sony STRDN 850 Receiver right now and thinking about hooking up Energy classic but both these are gonna come out to $900 with taxes. So I am debating if I should find a better way to do this. Should I get optical switcher and HDMI switcher instead and get this problem solved? Right now I am finishing University in August and thinking if I gotta relocate then how am I gonna move this stuff

I
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
ah802 wrote: Not to knock all this new stuff, but there is very little that goes wrong with speakers and they will be the heart of the audio system. While new AV/receivers blow old stuff out of the water with new functionality like HDMI switching up scaling etc. I would consider one of the new AVR's and pick up the best set of used speakers the budget would allow.

If you're downtown Toronto check out Vintage Stereo Electronics Store 75 Nassau St. Last time I was in there they have a set of JBL studios for cheap and there is a lot of choices.
That makes sense but I am located in Vancouver area. Thanks for the input
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes
I had your setup a few years ago and then I built a full fledged theater in my basement. I definitely would recommend replacing the z-5500.

Get a decent receiver from Denon and then get the best tower speakers tour can afford. Later on add a center channel and subwoofer and even later add rest speakers. The most important component in your sound system will be the speakers not the amp.

Get a receiver with discrete power supplies for each channel and all the connections and codecs you need. Don't need to go crazy but you'll have to spend at least $500 if buying new.

Another $1000-$1500 for 5 speakers and a subwoofer. Just do it in increments. Dont settle for a system in a box.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
fatestkid wrote: I had your setup a few years ago and then I built a full fledged theater in my basement. I definitely would recommend replacing the z-5500.

Get a decent receiver from Denon and then get the best tower speakers tour can afford. Later on add a center channel and subwoofer and even later add rest speakers. The most important component in your sound system will be the speakers not the amp.

Get a receiver with discrete power supplies for each channel and all the connections and codecs you need. Don't need to go crazy but you'll have to spend at least $500 if buying new.

Another $1000-$1500 for 5 speakers and a subwoofer. Just do it in increments. Dont settle for a system in a box.
Thanks for the info, I was looking to buy a receiver, I am confused between the two:
1. Sony STR-DH750 - $270
2. Sony STR-DH850 - $360
How much of a difference there is in sound quality between the two?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
thinking of picking up STRDH850 and Polk Audio RM 6750. What do you guys think?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
With Bestbuy sale of extra 30% on speakers. I placed an order for the following:
1. Sony STR-DH850-$360
2. Fluance 5.0 Speakers- $174 (http://www.amazon.com/Fluance%C2%AE-AVH ... ds=fluance)
3. Precision Acoustics HD12S Subwoofer:$140 (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/pre ... b779baen02)

I am just thinking now if i should have gone for dh750 but since dh750 does not support hdmi 2.0(4k 60fps) it is better to spend extra $90 to get all extra features + 4k stuff.
or should I have gone for Energy take classic 5.1 for 399?

What do you guys think of this setup? I would love to hear some suggestions.

Thank you
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
3968 posts
4717 upvotes
Victoria
Cancel that order ASAP and get the Take Classic or the Klipsch 5.0 system. Buy whichever one fits best in your space. Forget the Polk system. Since the Klipsch doesn't include a sub, wait for a sale or find a good used sub; you'll be disappointed with the one you ordered.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
cooper83 wrote: Cancel that order ASAP and get the Take Classic or the Klipsch 5.0 system. Buy whichever one fits best in your space. Forget the Polk system. Since the Klipsch doesn't include a sub, wait for a sale or find a good used sub; you'll be disappointed with the one you ordered.
Really is that bad? It says order is in progress, Should I call them and cancel the order?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
3968 posts
4717 upvotes
Victoria
achohan91 wrote: Really is that bad? It says order is in progress, Should I call them and cancel the order?
Buy once, cry once.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
cooper83 wrote: Buy once, cry once.
I will go with Take Classic then, will it be a good upgrade over the existing z5500?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
I will refuse the delivery since I don't have a car to go and return the speakers
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
cooper83 wrote: Cancel that order ASAP and get the Take Classic or the Klipsch 5.0 system. Buy whichever one fits best in your space. Forget the Polk system. Since the Klipsch doesn't include a sub, wait for a sale or find a good used sub; you'll be disappointed with the one you ordered.
One of my friend knows someone who is selling it for 350 brand new in box, you think it is a good deal?? Is it gonna perform way better than z5500. I also got a deal on Sony STR-DH for $340+tax so I bought that and cancelled my bestbuy order.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
So I received Fluance AVHTB with Precision Acoustics HD12S Sub($310+tax for speakers and sub) along with Sony STR-DN850($340+tax), All i can say is WOW!!! Sound is so crisp and clear and the woofer is really awesome, only thing is you have to calibrate it to get the right sound. These speakers are so worth it for the price. Also I got Energy take classic 5.1 ($450+tax) and tried side by side, For my room I preferred Fluance over Classic, Those towers to make a difference. A big thumbs up for Fluance!

I don't think you have ever heard Fluance so you definitely should!