• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2012 3:45 am
Tags:
None
May 8, 2005
51 posts
9 upvotes

Home Theatre Projector

I need advice on selecting a home theatre projector. I'm in Calgary but travel to Dallas monthly for work, so shopping in the US is possible. I'm finding a lot of the electronics shops here haven display models so I differ to your experience to recommend a brand. Thanks!
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
Two of the best resources for HT projectors:

http://www.avsforum.com

http://www.projectorcentral.com

Panasonic and Infocus usually have good projectors for HT. I have a dated Infocus X1 that's been gathering dust lately...use to use it for gaming at a friend's place, but the lamp needs to be replaced.

I haven't kept up on the latest stuff on projectors. It's usually LCD vs. DLP....in the past anyways.

Dave
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
1213 posts
91 upvotes
Kitchener
When I was shopping, this was the best resource I found for reviews http://www.projectorreviews.com/#reviews.

Do you have a budget in mind? Also, you should budget for a quality screen. It makes no sense to spend money on a decent quality projector, only to project onto a wall or a DIY screen (in my opinion at least). Some screens will work better for some projectors.

Also, where will you place your projector? Can it be lined up perfectly with your screen location? If not, you will need something with lens shift and decent zoom to allow for flexible placement.

If I was buying now, I'd be looking at JVC. I bought an Epson 5 or so years ago, but only because I couldn't afford a JVC at the time ($8000). They have now brought some entry level projectors out that are very very good, and much more affordable.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5604 posts
438 upvotes
Mississauga
DavidY wrote: Two of the best resources for HT projectors:

http://www.avsforum.com

http://www.projectorcentral.com

Panasonic and Infocus usually have good projectors for HT. I have a dated Infocus X1 that's been gathering dust lately...use to use it for gaming at a friend's place, but the lamp needs to be replaced.

I haven't kept up on the latest stuff on projectors. It's usually LCD vs. DLP....in the past anyways.

Dave

My brother has the same one. Works like a champ, 1080i goodness for gaming. Playing CoD on that is nuts!
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
For $2000, you can get a really great projector these days. As mentioned above, I'd be looking at the JVC models (LCoS) if you want the best. They are relatively affordable but still command a few grand (cheapest would be something like the X30 which is still well above $3K)

Cheaper than that, you're looking at DLP and LCD. LCD used to suck a lot but they are quite good these days (just like LCD tvs used to suck, but now they are pretty darn good, approaching plasma). For $2K you can get excellent quality. In the $1K and up, it's still pretty impressive, but the $2K models will still be noticeably better (mainly the black color which will look black instead of milky black)
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4865 posts
188 upvotes
GTA
M-e-X-x wrote: My brother has the same one. Works like a champ, 1080i goodness for gaming. Playing CoD on that is nuts!
The Infocus X1? Its native resolution is only 800x600. Feed it 1080i if you want, it's still going to scale it down - and widescreen will use even LESS pixels. Don't get me wrong, I had one myself years ago and it was fantastic for its time, but when I moved to a true 1080p display, the difference was immediately visible.
Rock it.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1191 posts
112 upvotes
Stoney Creek
JVC? Really?

I would say panasonic or optoma. i have optoma black model from costco.ca currently $200 off. HD is awesome.
May 20, 2005
733 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
I'd go with the Optoma HD33.

Best bang for your buck. If you don't 3d then hd20

Both are great and affordable.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1191 posts
112 upvotes
Stoney Creek
warpdrive wrote: yes, really.

Not trying to say they r not good, but from original post I got feeling he was looking for best bang for buck. For example if someone asks for a good car I would not start mentioning ferraris. From most of the reading I have done jvc is rarely mentioned in the same category as other home theatre projector companies (just one example http://www.projectorcentral.com/recomme ... ectors.htm) not because they r not good, but because they may not match up to others in terms of what u get for your money and what the average home theatre enthusiast needs.

Panasonic/optoma will be fine for most home theatre enthusiasts.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4865 posts
188 upvotes
GTA
hondanation09 wrote: JVC? Really?

I would say panasonic or optoma. i have optoma black model from costco.ca currently $200 off. HD is awesome.
warpdrive wrote: yes, really.
+1 on the 'yes really'.

I got tired of the problems and limitations from the entry level stuff, so I went with an entry level JVC for our latest unit - the DLA-HD250, and got a great price on it. And I have no regrets, it's finally done everything I wanted (and more!). But it's a case of you don't know what you're missing until you see it - I thought I was happy with what I had before (discounting the issues I've had).
Rock it.
May 28, 2005
719 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I dont know if they are still in the game or any good but four years ago I purchased an entry level Sanyo home theatre projector (PLV-Z60) and I've been very happy with it. It may lack the brightness of more expensive models but projected at a smaller size, its great. I'm using it on a 72" screen that I built.
chdude3 wrote: +1 on the 'yes really'.

I got tired of the problems and limitations from the entry level stuff, so I went with an entry level JVC for our latest unit - the DLA-HD250, and got a great price on it. And I have no regrets, it's finally done everything I wanted (and more!). But it's a case of you don't know what you're missing until you see it - I thought I was happy with what I had before (discounting the issues I've had).