Tags:
None
Dec 5, 2007
422 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton
mopex wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 12:34 pm
What about the Pioneer VSX-926-K at Futureshop for $399. It looks like it's the same as the Elite VSX-50. I'm trying to decide between this and the Denon AVR-1713. The Denon has the advantage of Audyssey XT, but the Pioneer is a higher end receiver.
bug wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 2:05 pm
Been looking at the Denon AVR-1713 as well. My old Kenwood VR410 is showing its age and I would really like something newer that had HDMI ports. Are there any coupon codes for Future Shop right now?
I ended up buying the Yamaha RXV-573 from FS (on sale for $349) to replace my Denon 1708. I also considered the Pioneer 1022 and Denon 1713.

The Yamaha has everything I wanted and more - extra HDMI ports, 3D support, HDMI audio decoding, etc. No handshake issues, setup was super easy and I love the sound coming from this thing. We watched The Dark Knight Rises again last night just to try it out.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
668 upvotes
Shhanada
Felks24 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 2:32 pm
I ended up buying the Yamaha RXV-573 from FS (on sale for $349) to replace my Denon 1708. I also considered the Pioneer 1022 and Denon 1713.

The Yamaha has everything I wanted and more - extra HDMI ports, 3D support, HDMI audio decoding, etc. No handshake issues, setup was super easy and I love the sound coming from this thing. We watched The Dark Knight Rises again last night just to try it out.
That's good to hear. Having seamless operation and enjoying the sound are probably the 2 priorities.

I would have opted to the Denon myself with the MultEQ being preferred to YPAO. Debates over Audyssey's murky claims about EQ resolution aside, it does work well when the room or speakers have challenges to be overcome.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
668 upvotes
Shhanada
For people shopping now, you might want to take your time. The boxing day receiver sales weren't all that amazing, so there's bound to be some other sales in January. There could also be returns of perfectly good receivers that could be picked up in your local store at a discount.
Mar 30, 2009
855 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Felks24 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 2:32 pm

Glad you are happy with the Yamaha.I say it all the time, Yamaha receivers may not be the best looking of the bunch but they are some of the best sounding receivers around IMHO. I have owned mine for 6 years and aside from lack of extra HDMI ports, I absolutely love it. Been an absolutely solid unit.
Dec 5, 2007
422 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton
SurplusPlus wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 7:54 pm
That's good to hear. Having seamless operation and enjoying the sound are probably the 2 priorities.

I would have opted to the Denon myself with the MultEQ being preferred to YPAO. Debates over Audyssey's murky claims about EQ resolution aside, it does work well when the room or speakers have challenges to be overcome.
redeagle wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 8:04 pm
Glad you are happy with the Yamaha.I say it all the time, Yamaha receivers may not be the best looking of the bunch but they are some of the best sounding receivers around IMHO. I have owned mine for 6 years and aside from lack of extra HDMI ports, I absolutely love it. Been an absolutely solid unit.
Yeah I bounced back and forth between the Denon and Yamaha, but the salesman was pushing me towards the 1913 over the 1713, and I think that the 1713 actually has the better version of Audyssey (MultEQ XT vs. MultEQ).

I'm really enjoying the Yamaha's sound though, I'm really happy with the purchase.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
1886 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
I am no expert in home theatre, but come across the Marantz NR 1403 ($479 at FS ) and think it might be a solid choice.
It's only 5.1 and no network capability but if you don't need these I think this is a reasonable deal especially with the Marantz brand name.

*Six HDMI inputs(including one front input)
*Front USB for music playback
*MultiEQ
*Discrete amps for each channel.
*Three year warranty.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 06202.aspx
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1347 posts
130 upvotes
Winnipeg
redeagle wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 8:04 pm
they are well built, but pretty polarizing when it comes to sound. they are VERY bright, and that usually means they are either the only receiver that sounds good with your speakers, or they sound terrible with your speakers.

i fall into the latter...
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4046 posts
156 upvotes
Etobicoke
kamascottra wrote:
Dec 31st, 2012 2:41 am
they are well built, but pretty polarizing when it comes to sound. they are VERY bright, and that usually means they are either the only receiver that sounds good with your speakers, or they sound terrible with your speakers.

i fall into the latter...
Personally, I can't stand Yamaha sound because of its brightness, makes my ears bleed. Even with my very soft sounding B&W speakers.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2213 posts
428 upvotes
Kingston
I love the Yamaha (Aventage A720) and it's infinitely adjustable in terms of sound so I'm not sure what the problem is, it sounds as good as the Onkyo and Pioneer I tried. Also the on screen display of the Aventage line is just so nice (it's different to the normal Yamaha line). I'm particularly impressed withe the 4 year Canadian warranty which blew me away. No problems with firmware update and I'm listening to some nice FLAC tunes via a USB key right now. The iPad app is also extremely nice. The unit is also solidly built with a heavy metal chasis and metal front covering etc. It just seems miles apart from the Pioneer 1022 I tried for instance. To me this unit is definitely worth the $599 I paid for it.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4046 posts
156 upvotes
Etobicoke
Adjustable in terms of sound??? I would like to listen to the sound the way it was recorded, the way musicians and producers wanted us to hear it, not use multi-band equalizer to equalize it because receivers makes it too bright.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2213 posts
428 upvotes
Kingston
Each to their own I guess...without adjustments the Yamaha is supposed to have the more natural sound reproduction as far as I can tell. It sounds just fine to me, less muddy than the Pioneer.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
668 upvotes
Shhanada
Viper-Z wrote:Adjustable in terms of sound??? I would like to listen to the sound the way it was recorded, the way musicians and producers wanted us to hear it, not use multi-band equalizer to equalize it because receivers makes it too bright.
For real? Because the Audyssey MultEQ you rave about IS a multi-band equalizer. (The EQ in MultEQ stands for EQ) :)

Don't misinterpret me, I like MultEQ and have vouched for it, but seems odd for someone to trash on equalizers but also say they love MultEQ.

Yamaha YPAO may be more generic EQ solution, but if the ranges that need tweaking for JC69's room and speakers get altered by Yamaha's bands or by Audyssey's bands, there's not much difference.

I'd lost interest in Yamaha a few years ago when they seemed to have lost a few steps to the competition. Since then, Pioneer has moved to a huge feature list but cheap construction, while Denon and especially Onkyo are having some reliability issues. Hearing that Yamaha is catching up with features and construction quality, and backing it by a warranty that lays shame on the others, that's worth taking another look.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
668 upvotes
Shhanada
LOL, there's so much BS and flowery marketing word smithing in the audio industry...

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-A720-7- ... B0087KGLEO

Yamaha is touting "The Anti-Resonance Technology (A.R.T.) Wedge"

What is it? A a fifth foot in the center of the unit. Personally I would have called it "a fifth foot in the center of the unit".
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4046 posts
156 upvotes
Etobicoke
Wow, this surplusplus guy is consistent. Dude, please stop commenting on my stuff, as you're on ignore list and all I get is a notification that you responded. I really don't care about your opinion.

Have a happy new year everybody!
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
668 upvotes
Shhanada
Viper-Z wrote:Wow, this surplusplus guy is consistent. Dude, please stop commenting on my stuff, as you're on ignore list and all I get is a notification that you responded. I really don't care about your opinion.
Not really asking you for anything. Well I did once, but you didn't know the answer, which I suppose is OK because I didn't either. But instead you gave an ignoranus response instead of helping. Please change in '13! We need divergent views on the topics here, just prefer no thread crapping/dumping on members or their equipment.