None
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1347 posts
130 upvotes
Winnipeg
JC69 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2012 1:54 pm
I love the Yamaha (Aventage A720) and it's infinitely adjustable in terms of sound so I'm not sure what the problem is, it sounds as good as the Onkyo and Pioneer I tried. Also the on screen display of the Aventage line is just so nice (it's different to the normal Yamaha line). I'm particularly impressed withe the 4 year Canadian warranty which blew me away. No problems with firmware update and I'm listening to some nice FLAC tunes via a USB key right now. The iPad app is also extremely nice. The unit is also solidly built with a heavy metal chasis and metal front covering etc. It just seems miles apart from the Pioneer 1022 I tried for instance. To me this unit is definitely worth the $599 I paid for it.
JC69 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2012 5:53 pm
Each to their own I guess...without adjustments the Yamaha is supposed to have the more natural sound reproduction as far as I can tell. It sounds just fine to me, less muddy than the Pioneer.
the receiver is only part of the equation. it's not fair to say one receiver has 'better' sound or 'more natural' as it may sound very different with different speakers hooked up. it's nice that it's adjustable though. i just haven't had any reason to try yamaha again, i don't feel they do anything any better than the competition, i know it's kind of silly, but we all have our brand loyalties for whatever reason. for me, i've just avoided yamaha due to past experiences before all this auto calibration stuff was common. no point in wasted hours upon hours trying to 'fix' yamaha's signature bright sound when the others are pretty close right out of the box(for my speakers and tastes). like you said to each his own, i just found yamaha's way too bright with my speakers for my taste, and now i just don't have any interest in them. i am a sucker for the gadgets and features i'll admit. just don't care for the procession gimmicks

as for the on screen interface, i think i've used that 5, maybe 6 times since i bought my receiver 3-4 years ago(i don't remember). that would definitely be near the bottom of my list when deciding what receiver to buy, if not an afterthought completely. what are you doing with this receiver that would use the GUI often? the only thing i 'need' mine for is set up, which i only do once when i get new gear.
Mar 10, 2011
10 posts
Saskatoon
So I ended up buying an Onkyo TX-NR 515 from London Drugs, after they pricematched Visions and a Polk RM705 set from Futureshop. I haven't set it up yet but I am hoping they are a good match that sounds okay. Also ordered the bluetooth adapter for the receiver online. Looking forward to easily streaming audio.
Jan 13, 2004
56 posts
2 upvotes
SurplusPlus wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 1:07 am
Well, the answer unfortunately is 'maybe', depending on what your situation is.

Not sure what your equipment, speakers, or even your old receiver was, or what you mean by 3/4's or input level of 7-8 db.

Talking about old receivers, they would use a potentiometer type volume knob (1 to 10, "but this one goes to eleven") where a slight turn could give you enough volume for listening, and there was never a purpose to need to go much higher.

In recent years there's a trend to being fancy and and using decibel-based volume controls, or digital inputs that simulate volume knobs but aren't really knobs at all.

It stems back to the fact that decibels have logarithmic scales, which ok because many elements of nature and electronics do too. But it does seem counter-intuitive if someone was accustomed to turning the volume knob say 20 degrees from "0" to "3", and now find themselves with a new receiver where you have to sweep it all the way around from -75 db to -30 db before you hear anything. The bigger rotation does provide a bit finer control, and is more acoustically true, if you will. (I really shouldn't be sharing this as they really like us degree holders to keep this info in our inner circle but just this once) :D

So on the one hand, having to spin the knob a lot more than your vintage receiver isn't unusual. However you saying it's "3/4" or referencing 7-8 db reading does suggest something is a bit attentuated (that's the Bachelors degree word for 'quiet') in your setup. The AVR-1913 is beefy and should be capable of playing most speakers at something my grandfather would call 'fortississimo', so it's worth looking into.
thanks for the info. i'm about -20 db when watching a movie. The pioneer receiver its at the post office right now. i will probably return it and keep the denon, i really like it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6788 posts
683 upvotes
Alberta
renhui wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 8:09 pm
I am no expert in home theatre, but come across the Marantz NR 1403 ($479 at FS ) and think it might be a solid choice.
It's only 5.1 and no network capability but if you don't need these I think this is a reasonable deal especially with the Marantz brand name.

*Six HDMI inputs(including one front input)
*Front USB for music playback
*MultiEQ
*Discrete amps for each channel.
*Three year warranty.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 06202.aspx
Gibby's Electronics recently had sale prices on most of their Marantz. FS hardly ever have sales on their Marantz. Tabangi Electronics in Mississauga have the NR1403 at $425 (Boxing Week Sale). NR1603 at $595. I've been looking at their SR5007 for $729 ($200 off FS price)....too bad local sales only.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2213 posts
428 upvotes
Kingston
kamascottra wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 5:47 am
the receiver is only part of the equation. it's not fair to say one receiver has 'better' sound or 'more natural' as it may sound very different with different speakers hooked up. it's nice that it's adjustable though. i just haven't had any reason to try yamaha again, i don't feel they do anything any better than the competition, i know it's kind of silly, but we all have our brand loyalties for whatever reason. for me, i've just avoided yamaha due to past experiences before all this auto calibration stuff was common. no point in wasted hours upon hours trying to 'fix' yamaha's signature bright sound when the others are pretty close right out of the box(for my speakers and tastes). like you said to each his own, i just found yamaha's way too bright with my speakers for my taste, and now i just don't have any interest in them. i am a sucker for the gadgets and features i'll admit. just don't care for the procession gimmicks

as for the on screen interface, i think i've used that 5, maybe 6 times since i bought my receiver 3-4 years ago(i don't remember). that would definitely be near the bottom of my list when deciding what receiver to buy, if not an afterthought completely. what are you doing with this receiver that would use the GUI often? the only thing i 'need' mine for is set up, which i only do once when i get new gear.
I don't have horn speakers which helps and the OSD is very handy for the NET functions and Sirius XM/Internet radio. It's also handy for switching from all channel to simple stereo for music. I use it a lot. Frankly, I'm just impressed by the build quality of this unit compared to the others and the 4y warranty.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1347 posts
130 upvotes
Winnipeg
Scortadict wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 10:29 am
thanks for the info. i'm about -20 db when watching a movie. The pioneer receiver its at the post office right now. i will probably return it and keep the denon, i really like it.
that's doesn't sound too crazy. i have a pioneer 1018 hooked up to reasonably efficient speakers(pretty normal) and depending on the recording usually watch stuff between -30 and -20. for 'action' movies i'll go as high as -10db, again, depending on the recording.

i guess the idea is to have 0db as a 'reference' level, but if you don't even actually set that up with your speakers in your room, chances are 0db it's going to be deafeningly loud.

i never actually used my dial to control the volume before, at least not while paying attention, but yeah, that baby spins! haha. but it also goes down way past -60db, so i don't think talking about rotation is valid anymore. mine spins all the way around mulitple times, not like the old stuff where you only get one rotation from off to max.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1347 posts
130 upvotes
Winnipeg
JC69 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 12:13 pm
I don't have horn speakers which helps and the OSD is very handy for the NET functions and Sirius XM/Internet radio. It's also handy for switching from all channel to simple stereo for music. I use it a lot. Frankly, I'm just impressed by the build quality of this unit compared to the others and the 4y warranty.
oh ok. i actually have, and will only use, silk dome tweeters and found the yamaha(of 10yrs ago...) made them sound as harsh as titanium tweets. it's hard to explain, it could be in my head, it's most likely correctable by advanced eq's, but at the time turning down the treble didn't fix the 'harshness', it just made it quieter.

as for the OSD, makes sense. i don't use any of those things, my receiver isn't the 'control centre' it's a switch for me. i use the HTPC for all that kinda stuff. i don't think i've ever switched surround modes on my receiver since i set it up, haha.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5722 posts
171 upvotes
GTA
djpr wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 2:47 pm
I need speakers as well as the ones I have are rotten. What is the best/cheapest way for my home theater setup to go?
Take a good look at the Pioneer Speakers designed by Andrew Jones!!! I have last years model and love them!! I did up my entire surround sound system, in my family room for just under $700, including the Denon AVR 2112CI I picked up at BB in New Jersey.
Oct 22, 2007
11 posts
Got two Polk RTI10 today, they are huge as my room is just 450 squre feet.
Does Poineer 1022 work with these two speakers? or I have to go with Poineer 1122?
igor0190, as I know you have the Poineer 1022 and RTI10, do they work together?
My friend told me the two speakers need 120+ wpc receiver which will cost $1000+, he said my room is small and I should return the two speakers, is that true?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4046 posts
156 upvotes
Etobicoke
If you want the best sound out of your speakers, get any receiver as long as it has pre-outs. Then buy a stand-alone 2-channel used amplifier for a couple hundred bucks. RT/RTi speakers work just fine with receivers, but will really open up and sound very good with real amplifiers. For example, you can get your hands a good amp such Adcom GFA-545 or 5400 or similar Parasound amp for around $200.

Good example is something like this:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... ca_1000_a/
Oct 22, 2007
11 posts
Thanks ViperZ, excellent solution. Have some questions hopefully you can help as I am newbie:
1. How can I know the receive has pre-outs?
2. Does Poineer 1022 has Pre-out?
3. Which receiver under $500 do you recommend for the two RTI10 + parasound?
4. are two two speakers no good for my small room (450 squre feet)?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4046 posts
156 upvotes
Etobicoke
mayuechao wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 11:15 pm
Thanks ViperZ, excellent solution. Have some questions hopefully you can help as I am newbie:
1. How can I know the receive has pre-outs?
2. Does Poineer 1022 has Pre-out?
3. Which receiver under $500 do you recommend for the two RTI10 + parasound?
4. are two two speakers no good for my small room (450 squre feet)?
What are you trying to achieve with those speakers? Just listen to the music? Two speakers are more than enough if all you're doing is listening to the music in stereo, but then you don't need a full blown 5.1/7.1 receiver. You just need a 2-channel preamp with a 2-channel amp.

Pioneer 1022 and 1122 don't have pre-outs (just look at the back, it will say 'pre-out' beside connectors), 1222 has pre-outs, but it's expensive. If you don't mind going used, you can always check out canuckaudiomart classifieds and find a good receiver in your price range.

To figure out which receiver you need, please tell us how you will be using that receiver (what your sources are, are you watching movies, listening to the music, playing games, etc.)
Oct 22, 2007
11 posts
I will use the two speakers to listen music, watch movies and TV shows, might connect to mixer for karaoke.
I would like purchase a receiver 5.1 or 7.1 for now with these two speakers in this small room.
then I will add more speakers to this receiver in the future to have 5.1 or 7.1 system for music and movie.
For now I am looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver < $500 that can work with two speakers. I want the receive has the pre-out.
in the futures I will buy amp as you recommended to get better performance.
I would like the receiver can basically work without the amp, with bi-amp technology as somebody mentioned.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1347 posts
130 upvotes
Winnipeg
mayuechao wrote:
Jan 5th, 2013 12:07 am
I will use the two speakers to listen music, watch movies and TV shows, might connect to mixer for karaoke.
I would like purchase a receiver 5.1 or 7.1 for now with these two speakers in this small room.
then I will add more speakers to this receiver in the future to have 5.1 or 7.1 system for music and movie.
For now I am looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver < $500 that can work with two speakers. I want the receive has the pre-out.
in the futures I will buy amp as you recommended to get better performance.
I would like the receiver can basically work without the amp, with bi-amp technology as somebody mentioned.
have you listened to other systems? i don't know very many ppl personal that would actually appreciate the benefit of preouts and a dedicated amp. it's nice to buy things that are future-friendly, but it's smart to not buy more than you need.

have a listen to some systems at a nice store before you commit to preouts and biamping and things that are going to GREATLY reduce your options and increase the expense.

i mean, for the price you'd need to dump into an amp and the premium you may have to pay for preouts, you could almost afford the other 3 speakers to complete your system

i'm a little biased though. i greatly overspent as a teenager, caught up with all the 'audiophile' ways and now i've learned to trust my own ears. i find it's like the emperor's clothes. everybody is telling you what to hear and what you should like better. with some things it's nice to get advice from those who know more, but when we aren't talking about reliability, and more about taste, i think it's important to trust yourself and use their advice as a guide, not a map