Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
djpr wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 9:41 pm
Thanks bud.

Just not sure if it's better to get a blu-ray home theater or to get a receiver and speakers. I want to investigate what are the best options I have.

Do you have any suggestions for a good deal?
you're usually better off doing the receiver/speakers. it gives you a lot more options, and way more flexibility to upgrade.

i've been out of the market for a while, so not to sure about any good deals out there currently. sorry.

i will say, do NOT rush the choice for speakers. even if you pick the perfect receiver, you won't have it for decades, it just won't last that long before being obsolete. speakers on the other hand definitely can last you 20+yrs easy. i'm not saying speakers are more important than the receiver, they both have their roles, but because speakers tend to 'stay current' for much longer, you have more to gain by getting it right the first time.

speakers also have a huge markup, like ~80%, so salepeople are always willing to negotiate on prices. it's usually a better choice to take your time deciding and rely on haggling to get a good deal on speakers. boxing day, or other sales is a good chance to get receivers cheap though, so that might be a good thing to focus on this week. unless some speakers sell out, you should be able to get good prices on them next week, or the week after, or halfway through feb...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9307 posts
988 upvotes
Ottawa
I recommend PSB speakers....but they are only available at hifi retailers. If you are in GTA, Bay Bloor Radio usually has a decent price on them come boxing day (at least it has the last few years)

In Ottawa, Stereo Plus and Audioshop may have some specials

PSB stuff is a notch, or two or three above the generic stuff you find at Futureshop/BB for sure
Jan 13, 2004
50 posts
1 upvote
right now FS have the Yamaha 7.2 Channel Network Multi-zone Receiver (RXV773 B) 599.99$ (save 300$)

best buy have the Harman / Kardon 665-Watt 7.1 Channel 3D-ready network receiver (AVR 2650) - $499.99 (save $400)
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3172 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Scortadict wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 2:16 pm
right now FS have the Yamaha 7.2 Channel Network Multi-zone Receiver (RXV773 B) 599.99$ (save 300$)

best buy have the Harman / Kardon 665-Watt 7.1 Channel 3D-ready network receiver (AVR 2650) - $499.99 (save $400)
Is the yamaha one a good deal? I thinking of picking that one up
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
1803 posts
585 upvotes
Has anybody seen any good online deals for boxing day?? I looked through BB and FS most of there receivers are like $50 off.. fail
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
Exocet77 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 6:33 pm
Has anybody seen any good online deals for boxing day?? I looked through BB and FS most of there receivers are like $50 off.. fail
50bux off retail, or 50bux off the normal sale/selling prices? i wouldn't turn away 50 bux personally, if it's something you're going to buy anyway(which it should be if your thinking about it).

the two that i've seen that make me wish i had a reason to buy a new receiver are:
onkyo TXNR5010 for ~2500 @visions (i actually don't know how good of a price that is, seems high still, but the specs are making me drool)
pioneer SC-1227-K for 700 @ FS
Feb 26, 2012
53 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yamaha RXV773B is very nice 2 HDMI out and has all any average person could need. I got Denon AVR 2313CI which is same level one for unfortunately more money (I was happy with RXV773B wife was stubborn enough for me to get 2313CI). I got the Denon for 750+tax when the regular price was 999 but hoping for lower price since I have till Jan 6 to price match/return. I'm sure I'd be more then happy with that yamaha specially for 600 bucks.
Scortadict wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 2:16 pm

Feb 26, 2012
53 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
In case anyone is looking at speakers as well I went with JBLs Nightlife 5.1 they sounded nice in the store and only have them for few days in my house so not fully tested yet.
Got them for 1200+tax at 2001 Audio Video they didn't wanted to lower the price further down as of limited stock. If anyone knows where I can find them cheaper let me know. (budget was $1000)
Looking at RTI10 for my zone 2 set up in the living room.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2223 posts
120 upvotes
Mississauga
I am taking a risk this xmas. I was planning to go away so I have ordered this http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-o ... s-1273998/

Will be a pain if its a lemon ( and there ARE cases of lemons with this unit) however its 2x the unit of anything in the price range here in canada (even on sale)

Just super loaded so i'l share my experiences with it if anyone's interested.

price was as low as $425 its gone up about $20 in the past few days (no clue why)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2223 posts
120 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a pair of Sound Dynamic floor speakers and a sony centre and rears from 20 years ago. I bought a set at future shop (primus infinity by harmon) and its in the garage im debating keeping it or trying my original speakers on the new reciever first.

thoughts?
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3395 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
One or two extra HDMI ports isn't going to hurt. You never know when you might need that extra port for the new device. Just saying just because you only need two ports right now doesn't mean you won't need one extra in the future.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1321 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
dreaderus wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 11:42 pm
I am taking a risk this xmas. I was planning to go away so I have ordered this http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-o ... s-1273998/

Will be a pain if its a lemon ( and there ARE cases of lemons with this unit) however its 2x the unit of anything in the price range here in canada (even on sale)

Just super loaded so i'l share my experiences with it if anyone's interested.

price was as low as $425 its gone up about $20 in the past few days (no clue why)
was on my 'dream' list when i was last shopping for a receiver. but couldn't really afford it, as it was still selling for 800+ on sale and ended up getting pioneer 1018 i'm still using. gotta admit the extra inputs would come in handy now, but i'm trying to hold off until 4k stuff is a little more common before i replace it now.
× < >