• Jan 7th, 2013 10:03 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2002
1464 posts
78 upvotes
Scarborough
I need some advice. I'm finally considering upgrading from my current JVC THX 7.1 receiver with no HDMI or up-conversion.

I've narrowed down my selection to these two Pioneer receivers.

SC-1227K or SC-1527K

I don't need a 9.2 channel receiver, but I may the extra at some point in a year or two.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/compar ... ang%253den
----------------------------------------------------------------
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4031 posts
154 upvotes
Etobicoke
TRK9 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 7:29 pm
I need some advice. I'm finally considering upgrading from my current JVC THX 7.1 receiver with no HDMI or up-conversion.

I've narrowed down my selection to these two Pioneer receivers.

SC-1227K or SC-1527K

I don't need a 9.2 channel receiver, but I may the extra at some point in a year or two.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/compar ... ang%253den
I wouldn't care about 9.2, unless you have a huge room to fill with sound. Looks like both amps use Class D3 amps. Pretty much the same power output. 1527 has 192/32 DACs compared to 192/24, but 192/24 is still excellent. 1527 uses dual Aureus DSP chips for sound processing. Both use Marvell Qdeo for 1080p/24 video processing - great chipset. Both have pre-amp outs, which would be really important to me personally, as I run separate amps and just use receiver as a processor. They even weigh almost the same.

So if you have a really big room to fill, go with 1527. It also seems to have slightly better DSP chips. If you are sticking with 7.2, then I don't think you'll lose much with 1227.

[edit]1527 has dual HDMI outputs. It's beneficial if you're running projector and a TV, and don't want to switch cables.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2002
1464 posts
78 upvotes
Scarborough
Thanks for the quick response ViperZ. I think for my needs the 1227 will be fine. It's also $300 cheaper.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Apr 12, 2005
90 posts
Is the Pioneer 700-Watt 5.1 Channel Network Receiver with AirPlay (VSX-822-K) any good? $280 at best buy. Thx
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4031 posts
154 upvotes
Etobicoke
2k3silver wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 9:04 pm
Is the Pioneer 700-Watt 5.1 Channel Network Receiver with AirPlay (VSX-822-K) any good? $280 at best buy. Thx
Good for what? It depends on a lot of factors - on your room size, on the speakers that you use, on what sources you will be connecting to it, what's more important to you - picture quality or sound quality, stereo or home theater, etc etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6530 posts
617 upvotes
Alberta
2k3silver wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 9:04 pm
VSX-1022 has upconversion to 1080p. It has a set of component video inputs. 822 doesn't. $349 for the VSX-1022 at BB. Sold out online at FS. I'm considering it as well.

Dave
Apr 12, 2005
90 posts
My tv room is not big and I am looking at this unit for the hdmi feature. dont need anything crazy just something to connect to my existing speakers from my Sony home theatre system? The speakers have some weirded looking connectors though, assume I can cut those and pull the wires out and connect them to the receiver? Final question, should I spend a little more and get something a little better VSX 1022? Thanks everyone and merry Xmas!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9307 posts
988 upvotes
Ottawa
SurplusPlus wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 12:50 am
When you take away the $2 words, it is applying delay and equalizer curves to each channel. Sure, FIR versus rough sampling might let the curve be slightly more 'curvy', but having 'thousands' of adjustments on a linear curve is like the difference between pushing a car with 2 hands or pushing it with 10 fingers. The end result is still the same.
blah blah

If ears can't tell the difference between the big numbers 3, 4, or 5, then being able to tweak out a 3.9 or a 4.1 isn't that beneficial.
Sorry, but I really don't have time to engage in this banter with you. I can tell you from experience that

1) Audyssey makes a bigger difference as you move up the product line. This is especially important for the subwoofer channel, in fact I would say it makes a far more noticeable difference in the sub channel than the other channels, especially with XT and up, often very dramatic difference that is very audible and very much objectively better that what can be accomplished with manual calibration using graphical EQ.

2) I have performed many calibrations with 2, 4, 6, 8 points and Audyssey does make use of the extra sampling locations to the benefit of a better calculated filter for the main reference location. You can verify for yourself as I have and you don't have to (wrongly) second guess what Audyssey is actually doing, a simple calibrated mic and some RTA software will do. Again you don't to take my word for it, even though I have owned all of the competing systems and a couple of different outboard eq systems.
ViperZ wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 1:39 pm
I will just ignore you from now on. If you consider those improvements 'tiny bit' and 'marginal', then it's really your own problem. Stop trying to convince other people. I understand from your message that you are a cheapskate, like many people on RFD looking for deals, so there is no offense there really, but please stop talking about what you don't know. Fortunately, I do know what I am talking about. I have a very good home theater, which took me years to build, starting from cheap and low-end and slowly making it better. So yes, I know how much improvement every single change makes, not just BS like you.
seems like a good idea to me, it's not worth any of my trouble responding any further to his posts. His experience in using Audyssey and knowledge of digital filter processing is obviously limited. I guess nobody should take me seriously since I only have (a lowly) bachelors degree in electrical engineering with credits in acoustical engineering. Obviously he has not even run Audyssey once since he thinks it plays white noise. If Audyssey used white noise, it won't work at all due to the nature of how the FIR filters are calculated.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4738 posts
657 upvotes
Shhanada
ViperZ wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 1:39 pm
I will just ignore you from now on. If you consider those improvements 'tiny bit' and 'marginal', then it's really your own problem. Stop trying to convince other people. I understand from your message that you are a cheapskate, like many people on RFD looking for deals, so there is no offense there really, but please stop talking about what you don't know. Fortunately, I do know what I am talking about. I have a very good home theater, which took me years to build, starting from cheap and low-end and slowly making it better. So yes, I know how much improvement every single change makes, not just BS like you.
Your condescending attitude aside, if you think everyone here is a cheapskate without your magic hearing powers, why are you here? Not everyone's going to fall for your holier than all attitude, so get used to it. I've built some very respectable audio systems, but unlike you, my personal ego isn't married to them. Nor do I go around pretending I know it all. And unlike you, I don't equate what I spent with how it sounds, even though I have spent a lot. Some of my best bargains are in systems that sound *better* than ones I broke the bank on.

Before you try to buffalo any more people, let me make a clear point: what you spent has nothing to do with the sound. It's always possible to overpay, and in my experience it's the self-anointed academic genius who do this most often.

I could take a dollar store cable, slap a fancy shrink sleeve and $200 price tag on it, and you'd praise it to high heaven. An interesting aside was an ego like yours who came in not to long ago and he *raved* about my highest end Denon system upon seeing it lit up. He too had academic prowess mixed with social and practical impairment.

He spoke of the system like it was a fine wine, using his educated golden ears to describe notes and tones that we mere humans could not. Of course the funny part is he didn't know he was actually listening to a $99 amp two shelves below. I told him I was switching to the other amp, but was really going to the Denon. He quickly described it as 'muddled' and 'unrefined', and made the same sour face derision you have for us "cheapskates".

I've owned and used a lot of equipment, and many many times stacked it up for A/B and blind tests. You can keep trying to tell yourself that each dollar you spent gives exponentially better sound, but we don't need the self-justification.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4738 posts
657 upvotes
Shhanada
kamascottra wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 4:11 pm
why is it 'wrong' if ppl don't hear the difference? at some point, there's a lot of voodo science in audio. this has been true for pretty much ever. i don't know where the line starts to fade, but from my experience i tend to agree that the difference between no auto calibration and any auto calibration is HUGE and the difference between different types of auto eq requires back to back tests to really tell the difference.
Keep in mind, it's only his pouting allegation that I "don't hear the difference", probably because he doesn't it like when someone pulls back the curtain on his Wizard of Oz routine.

It's a common outburst of the voodoo science audiophile. "Well just because there's no *measureable* difference between a coat hanger and this overpriced cable I bought, that just means my super-human golden ears are so much better than everyone else's."

I can hear differences just fine. I just have found through a lot of time, testing, and spending, that there is a diminishing return, a very pronounced one. As you confirm, simply having any level of MultEQ is nice, but I'd bet none of the golden ears crowd could tell which was which in a controlled test.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1203 posts
216 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
I know that the quality won't be too great, but can anyone recommend a starter ($300 or less) receiver and speaker set? I need at least four HDMI inputs.
Jan 1, 2008
57 posts
7 upvotes
Edmonton
To any Calgary, Edmonton or Richmond residents who are looking for a new home audio reciever. The Pioneer VSX-1122-k is on for 499.99 at Best Buy, thats $250 off and then........price match it with Memory Express and you can get it for $424, thats a HOT price.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...88d078534aen02

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX38678

Sadly the Online store is OOS, or else Id be ordering one.

Noticed a few people say they were gonna buy the 1127 from FS at the same $499 price, well if your in one of those areas and can get to a memory express, your better off saving that 75 bucks and getting the 1122
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4031 posts
154 upvotes
Etobicoke
SurplusPlus wrote:
Dec 26th, 2012 12:11 am
LOL, you sound so miserable, it's pathetic. Welcome officially to my ignore list.

Based on your previous posts, you have zero knowledge of how to setup a proper system, let alone doing proper A/B "and" blind tests. Good for you on being deaf and ignorant. I'm trying to help people in this thread, and all you're trying to do is tell people how everything in audio is useless. Good luck with that. At least I won't see your useless posts any more.
Aug 3, 2005
237 posts
37 upvotes
Any idea about Yamaha YHT3414 package? The specs looks good but do I lose any essential features with this as oppose to a same price reciever only?
Ayone has any experience with the included speakers?
Its 399 on bestbuy now 200 off.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
1929 posts
177 upvotes
Any receivers in the $500ish range worth looking at? I got the Pioneer 1022 from BestBuy for around $349 after returning an Onkyo 616 (busted HDMI after 30 days) that had higher specs. The Pioneer is a fine amp (power seems fine, perhaps even more power than the Onkyo I had) but I want dual zone different output and bi-amp capabilities (not necessarily at the same time..I understand the limitations of amps in this price range). I see the Pioneer D3 class amp at $699 from FS but that's stretching the price range a little. I have Paradigm Monitor 7's as front left and right..a Paradigm centre 1 is arriving in a few days and I'll be getting the matching Paradigm sub and rear surrounds soon too. No more Onkyo for me...not going to take the risk with HDMI quirks so I'd prefer something like a Yamaha Aventage line or similar. How good a deal is the D3 amp from Pioneer?
× < >