Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3434 posts
342 upvotes

Home water softener system recommendation

Hi RFDers. Trying to look for reviews GE vs Ecowater vs Hague vs Culligan. Not too many info out there. Wondering if anybody here got one installed at home. I care about the cost of unit, cost of maintenance besides adding salt etc.. Thx.
FS : DSL Modem, Promise NS4300N NAS, Nokia 7710, PM Me
98 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
76 upvotes
I would like to tag a question on this thread (TY :P)

I was told it is not possible to have a system with a stainless steel container. True?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3434 posts
342 upvotes
I think stainless steel container won't last long or may chemically interact with salt. But most of the units carry life time warranty on the container I think so that's not a problem.

Any one here has water softener at home? Is it worth it or does it really save on soap and good for the skin etc..?
Dec 27, 2007
851 posts
212 upvotes
Oshawa
I installed the Sears Kenmore Elite 800 softener in my home about a month ago and so far the gf and I are definitely noticing a difference. Our skin is softer, we use less detergent in the wash, our clothes are noticeably softer and just feel nicer...just a few of the positives. I also installed a reverse osmosis system for our drinking water as well and hooked it up to the fridge line...the softened water is for "working" purposes.

I got quotes from Rainsoft (HUGE rip-off), Culligan, and in the end decided to just do it myself. All in all I spent just over $1500 on everything.
Nov 20, 2005
121 posts
Oakville
I also have a water softener and RO unit for drinking water, always have hand one and always will... I definitely notice a difference with soap usage and hard water stains versus our neighbours, and to me it just feels nicer to wash/shower with...

My softener & RO unit came from my dad who runs a water softener/treatment company and has been in this business longer than I've been around.

From what I've seen & heard the prices vary quite wildly, I've heard of folks getting softener quotes for $3000+ (ouch) and I've never seen a justifiable reason for that cost. If you plumb it yourself a softener + RO should be under $1500, and if you want it installed you are probably looking at another $300 or so depending on the amount of copper needed.

If you are interested I can put you in touch with my dad, or send me info on your house/family size and the area you live in and I can see what kind of pricing he can do for a unit for you...

Good luck!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15899 posts
1812 upvotes
jonnyb wrote:
Feb 21st, 2009 10:01 pm
I installed the Sears Kenmore Elite 800 softener in my home about a month ago and so far the gf and I are definitely noticing a difference. Our skin is softer, we use less detergent in the wash, our clothes are noticeably softer and just feel nicer...just a few of the positives. I also installed a reverse osmosis system for our drinking water as well and hooked it up to the fridge line...the softened water is for "working" purposes.
Which RO system did you get?

Culligan, Ecowater, Kinetico, seem VERY expensive.

Although Kineitco's system seems nice - it has a backup tank so your house has softened water 24/7 even during backwash. Kinetico seems to use very little water during regeneration as well (only 11 minutes/10 gallons).

Is this the sort of premium features you get by going with an expensive Kinetico system?

Just checked out Sears...

So you could get a softener for about 900 + Watts Zero Waste RO system from Costco for 350 = 1250 + tax + install, which should be about 1500 - 1800 tops.

Hmm... What about chorline removal?
Dec 27, 2007
851 posts
212 upvotes
Oshawa
coolspot wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2009 11:29 am
Which RO system did you get?

Culligan, Ecowater, Kinetico, seem VERY expensive.

Although Kineitco's system seems nice - it has a backup tank so your house has softened water 24/7 even during backwash. Kinetico seems to use very little water during regeneration as well (only 11 minutes/10 gallons).

Is this the sort of premium features you get by going with an expensive Kinetico system?

Just checked out Sears...

So you could get a softener for about 900 + Watts Zero Waste RO system from Costco for 350 = 1250 + tax + install, which should be about 1500 - 1800 tops.

Hmm... What about chorline removal?
I bought a Kenmore RO system from Sears and installed it in the basement.

As for going with the more expensive Kenetico system, its really your choice. My softener backwashes once a week from 1am-3am, the whole process takes about 2 hours so its of no incovenience to me. As for the amount of water used, I've yet to see a real increase in my water bill. I put two bags of salt in when I installed the softener and a month and a bit later I still haven't had to add anymore.
Dec 26, 2003
260 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
javis wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2009 11:52 am
Where did you get the Fleck from ? I'm in KW and have not been able to find a Fleck Retailer..

Hi

There are couple of retailers who will sell you Fleck I bought it from

It works exactly like Kenetico
Dec 23, 2006
254 posts
18 upvotes
Just a heads up for anyone following this thread HomeHardware has a sale on for their 30,000 Water Ace water softener.

The softener is on sale for $699 and from what I am able to find out it uses the Fleck 5600 Valve (only regenerates when needed). It was recommended to me by a former plumber because it has no electronics (ie its more reliable).

Here is a link:
http://homehardware.ca/Products/index/s ... _mtr_30000
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15899 posts
1812 upvotes
javis wrote:
Feb 25th, 2009 10:14 am
The softener is on sale for $699 and from what I am able to find out it uses the Fleck 5600 Valve (only regenerates when needed). It was recommended to me by a former plumber because it has no electronics (ie its more reliable).]
This unit has a 26,000 grain capacity, it should be fine for a family of 4 - 5 if the hardness is medium hard (i.e. Toronto). But if you're in the outlying areas, it is a bit too small (i.e. Newmarket has almost 15GPG water hardness, Schomberg almost 20GPG!)

The only other issue I see is that it doesn't have an onboard computer. If you use very little water, the softener maybe a little stale after a while (causing it to clog up).
Dec 23, 2006
254 posts
18 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Feb 25th, 2009 1:02 pm
This unit has a 26,000 grain capacity, it should be fine for a family of 4 - 5 if the hardness is medium hard (i.e. Toronto). But if you're in the outlying areas, it is a bit too small (i.e. Newmarket has almost 15GPG water hardness, Schomberg almost 20GPG!)

The only other issue I see is that it doesn't have an onboard computer. If you use very little water, the softener maybe a little stale after a while (causing it to clog up).
I just called and spoke to a store associate who told me it was a 30,000 grain unit (the flyer also states 30,000 grain). So i think the the website is wrong when it says 26,000.

I think it is a 30,000 as my parents have this unit installed in Kitchener (32GPG) and it works fine for their needs.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15899 posts
1812 upvotes
javis wrote:
Feb 25th, 2009 2:37 pm
Kitchener (32GPG) and it works fine for their needs.
I didn't realize Kitchener had such hard water - no wonder why my soap never lathered when I was at UW :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3434 posts
342 upvotes
Thx for everyone of you for the input especially bobby for the link.

I'll have a Culligan guy come in next week to check our water and decide which system we need. Seems like Kinetico is a good system that saves salt/water with a premium price. Culligan has the Consumers Digest Best Buy. I checked the GE UltraMax and the price is ridiculous. Just can't justify any unit over $3000 no matter what.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel