None
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4220 posts
685 upvotes
Kitchener
scoop wrote:
May 1st, 2009 7:04 pm
Do water softeners qualify for the home energy audit?
nope, they are not even PST exempt. You will be able to claim it under the Federal Home Reno tax
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1900 posts
79 upvotes
FWIW - I ended up going with a local water softener company. After doing more research and talking to a friend in the industry in the states, it seems most "experts" have nothing but bad things to say about the home depot and sears style of machines (cabinet style) vs the traditional two tank system. They apparently are much more likely to break down and require a great deal of maintenance in the future, and are less efficient in salt use and production of soft water.

Culligan quoted me $2300 for their system, but a local company installed an equivalent system for me for $980 after all taxes and charges - about the same as I would have spent for an inferior model at sears or homedepot.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15899 posts
1812 upvotes
scoop wrote:
May 13th, 2009 6:52 pm
It seems most "experts" have nothing but bad things to say about the home depot and sears style of machines (cabinet style) vs the traditional two tank system. They apparently are much more likely to break down and require a great deal of maintenance in the future, and are less efficient in salt use and production of soft water.
Two-tank systems are supposedly more efficent, and easier to maintain, but even single tank systems are VERY reliable.

There's no rocket science involved with a water softener.

The only factor I would consider is salt usage/water usage; but unless you use a lot of water or have extremely hard water, the cost difference is minor.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1900 posts
79 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
May 14th, 2009 1:58 am
Two-tank systems are supposedly more efficent, and easier to maintain, but even single tank systems are VERY reliable.
Just from my looking around online I found a lot of reviews and opinions saying otherwise - at least relative to two tank systems. I got the impression that they will typically be good for 5 years or so on average then start having problems. When the cost of both was about the same, seemed like a no brainer to me to go with the two tank system.

Initially I looked at Sears and Homedepot, as I assumed other systems comparable to culligan would be comparable in price. I was pleasantly surprised to discover this wasnt the case.

On another note - one nice feature this one has (cabinet models may have this too, but I know my 30 year old culligan didnt) is that it recharges on usage, not on set times. Mine used to recharge every 3 days - regardless of whether it was needed or not.

This new one is set to recharge after 800 gallons are used. So more frequently if you are having visitors etc, not all if you go on vacation etc. Maybe they all do this now? Cool feature nonetheless.
Dec 27, 2007
846 posts
210 upvotes
Oshawa
My parents have a Kenmore unit going strong for around 10+ years now. I myself purchased the Ultra 800 model, installed it and its working great with no problems as of yet. Mine also recharges based on demand, and I've yet to add more salt since the initial 3 bags I put in about 5 months ago. Based on the current rate of regeneration I can probably go another few months before having to add any more.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4220 posts
685 upvotes
Kitchener
scoop wrote:
May 14th, 2009 11:34 am
On another note - one nice feature this one has (cabinet models may have this too, but I know my 30 year old culligan didnt) is that it recharges on usage, not on set times. Mine used to recharge every 3 days - regardless of whether it was needed or not.

This new one is set to recharge after 800 gallons are used. So more frequently if you are having visitors etc, not all if you go on vacation etc. Maybe they all do this now? Cool feature nonetheless.
I think this is a standard feature on most now, my Kenmore Ultra 100 has the flow turbine and electronic demand-initiated regenerator.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2596 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
How can I know about the GPG hardness in north-mid-west mississauga?

I googled it but that does'nt tell me the number.

I want to calculate the capacity for the water softener.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1900 posts
79 upvotes
bsobaid wrote:
Jul 9th, 2009 12:42 pm
How can I know about the GPG hardness in north-mid-west mississauga?

I googled it but that does'nt tell me the number.

I want to calculate the capacity for the water softener.
If you call the water department for the city they will tell you. If you want to do it yourself you need a test kit (about $40). Dont bother with the strips.
Dec 4, 2007
183 posts
26 upvotes
For those who have Sears Kenmore water softeners, what maintenance do you do on a monthly/annual basis?
When the installer came, I remember him telling me something about putting a little bleach somewhere on a yearly basis.
I've owned mine for 2 yrs and haven't done this once.

Also, my softener is set to recharge between 2-4am.
Once in a while, I go to bed late, therefore, brushing teeth after 2am.
When rinsing, the water is quite salty.
Then I realize softener must be recharging.
Is it ok bringing water thru home pipes while softener recharges?
Is the water that comes to tap contaminated?
This has happened to me 3x so far.
I guess this is one of negatives for buying single tank softeners.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2596 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
joso wrote:
Jul 9th, 2009 6:30 pm
For those who have Sears Kenmore water softeners, what maintenance do you do on a monthly/annual basis?
When the installer came, I remember him telling me something about putting a little bleach somewhere on a yearly basis.
I've owned mine for 2 yrs and haven't done this once.

Also, my softener is set to recharge between 2-4am.
Once in a while, I go to bed late, therefore, brushing teeth after 2am.
When rinsing, the water is quite salty.
Then I realize softener must be recharging.
Is it ok bringing water thru home pipes while softener recharges?
Is the water that comes to tap contaminated?
This has happened to me 3x so far.
I guess this is one of negatives for buying single tank softeners.
A side question...After all your experiance with the softener do you think such water is good for hairs? did it help with hair loss ?
Dec 4, 2007
183 posts
26 upvotes
bsobaid wrote:
Jul 10th, 2009 10:08 am
A side question...After all your experiance with the softener do you think such water is good for hairs? did it help with hair loss ?
I'm not sure about softener being good for hairs, but it didn't help me with my hair loss. My hairline continues to recede ever so slightly even after use of softener.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2476 posts
76 upvotes
GE,kenmore, are both made by ecowater
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Oct 30, 2007
454 posts
4 upvotes
what sort of prices are folks getting for a Culligan Gold Series softener?

So far the rep can manage $2700 out the door with the variable sensor.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1900 posts
79 upvotes
SMC23 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2009 12:43 pm
what sort of prices are folks getting for a Culligan Gold Series softener?

So far the rep can manage $2700 out the door with the variable sensor.
call another water softener place. YOu can get the same or better quality for 1/2 the price.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel