Home & Garden

Home water softener system recommendation

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2017 7:52 am
Tags:
None
Feb 22, 2010
5 posts
Thanks for all your help guys. It appears Sears has their units on sale this week with anywhere from $250 - $500 off the list price according to their flyer so I'm going to check that out... I'll post the outcome of that visit...

Thanks again!

Update: Bought the Kenmore UltraSoft 800 Water Softener last night at Sears for $999 regular price $1579...
Oct 30, 2007
468 posts
7 upvotes
Thanks for the informative discussion.

After months of deliberation, my wife and i finally bit the bullet and bought the Kinetico for several main reasons.

We checked out several models from Kenmore Elite, Culligan Gold, and EcoWater and the Kinetico was the best option. It was a little bit more than the others and almost $800 more than the Kenmore, but what really sold us was the amount of positive reviews on the net on the 2030S model. As well of course as it does not use any electricity and is most efficient. Over time we hope the additional cost will pay for it self.

We're looking forward to the installation next week!
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3579 posts
610 upvotes
SMC23 wrote: Thanks for the informative discussion.

After months of deliberation, my wife and i finally bit the bullet and bought the Kinetico for several main reasons.

We checked out several models from Kenmore Elite, Culligan Gold, and EcoWater and the Kinetico was the best option. It was a little bit more than the others and almost $800 more than the Kenmore, but what really sold us was the amount of positive reviews on the net on the 2030S model. As well of course as it does not use any electricity and is most efficient. Over time we hope the additional cost will pay for it self.

What savings do you get from installing a water softener?

edit: oh, do you mean savings from other softeners?
Oct 30, 2007
468 posts
7 upvotes
crimsondr wrote: What savings do you get from installing a water softener?

edit: oh, do you mean savings from other softeners?
yes, i meant savings in comparison to the others.

As for the entire cost of the unit, we may see this come in much later (>15yrs) but who knows.
Jul 15, 2003
206 posts
37 upvotes
Markham
SMC23 wrote: Thanks for the informative discussion.

Hi SMC23, let us know how this goes!!! i'm curious about getting the exact same system however it was quoted at $1700 from costco!!
Nov 6, 2009
616 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
hi, i am fairly new to water softener system recently i purchased a Kinetico powerline PS 0840. I believe it has a metered fleck 5600 valve, looks like the technician had set the dial for 3 people and water hardness is at 8 grains/gallon.

The PS 0840 has a capacity of 21000 grains, and checking my powerstream utility bill my daily water consumption is 0.34 cubic meter = 90 gallon / day.

Grains use per day = 90 gallon x 8 (hardness in grains/gal) = 720

Time interval for regeneration = system capacity / grain use per day
=21000 / 720 = 29 days (is this correct???)

if it will take 29 days to regenerate, will there be a problem?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1332 posts
412 upvotes
I've been researching for quite some time on Water Softeners and reading through all the forums.
Man!!! I can see why so many people just go with the Sears brand. Shopping for a water softener is worse then the stereotypical used
car salesmen. I've had several sales reps come to my house and every single one of them is telling me different things and trying to
sell me on the most expensive option.

I've been told I need a Kinetico 4040 and K5 drinking system to another who says I need a whole house purification system, UV filtering, R/O. I mean, I live just north of Toronto - the water is NOT THAT BAD.

Can anyone recommend a company that services Newmarket (or York Region area) that will be honest - knowledgable (yeah, it's pretty bad when I call out a rep on something from my research), and decent in price. I'm not interested in a $6000 Kinetico system - but I would like something a little better then the Sears (Kenmore) brands.

Many thanks to anyone who responds.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1983 posts
794 upvotes
Kitchener
canadiancynosure wrote: I've been researching for quite some time on Water Softeners and reading through all the forums.
Man!!! I can see why so many people just go with the Sears brand. Shopping for a water softener is worse then the stereotypical used
car salesmen. I've had several sales reps come to my house and every single one of them is telling me different things and trying to
sell me on the most expensive option.

I've been told I need a Kinetico 4040 and K5 drinking system to another who says I need a whole house purification system, UV filtering, R/O. I mean, I live just north of Toronto - the water is NOT THAT BAD.

Can anyone recommend a company that services Newmarket (or York Region area) that will be honest - knowledgable (yeah, it's pretty bad when I call out a rep on something from my research), and decent in price. I'm not interested in a $6000 Kinetico system - but I would like something a little better then the Sears (Kenmore) brands.

if you live within a 100km of waterloo then I recommend you call Ontario Soft water. Myself and most of my neighbors have used them this year and all of us are very satisfied. Prices are fair and install is great.
I have a water depot guy in my house and he quoted me 2500 bucks for a softener. Ontario Soft Water installed one, automatic regeneration, extra faucet, three hard water lines for 1050 with tax!

http://www.ontariosoftwater.ca/
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1332 posts
412 upvotes
Thanks Peelhic,

Found a company in Newmarket - Rosmosis
Getting a full house purification system with a Clack valve - though it's not metered as the rep said with the carbon beds, it extends the life to backwash on a schedule
4 stage R/O system and combo water/ro tap (didn't want new holes in my counter)
Also installing and bypass for $2000
Oct 17, 2010
1 posts
york region
canadiancynosure wrote: Thanks Peelhic,

Found a company in Newmarket - Rosmosis
Getting a full house purification system with a Clack valve - though it's not metered as the rep said with the carbon beds, it extends the life to backwash on a schedule
4 stage R/O system and combo water/ro tap (didn't want new holes in my counter)
Also installing and bypass for $2000

Hi canadiancynosure,

How's your new purification system? We have to change our water softerner and are thinking to get the full purification system. Are you satisfied with this company? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2003
2041 posts
57 upvotes
Looking at a "Purifiner II" (single tank, regen by use, Erie valve) with "Purotwist 4000" 3gal R/O w stainless tap for $1980 installed, out the door.

I'm debating the "need" for the R/O in the kitchen. Only saves about $300 though without.

Are any of the ones you folks quoting NSF/ANSI certified?

With the non-cert ones you can get a pretty low price point.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1258 posts
287 upvotes
Ontario
Found a company selling the chlorasoft unit for $1,150 including install, lifetime warranty. Whicever company you go with, make sure they show you their insurance certificate.

http://www.purisoftwater.com
Apr 30, 2008
634 posts
231 upvotes
Waterloo
I am looking at CWS150ME from AquaPure. Has anyone used these at all?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
nsx817 wrote: Time interval for regeneration = system capacity / grain use per day
=21000 / 720 = 29 days (is this correct???)

if it will take 29 days to regenerate, will there be a problem?

Does it have a computer? Usually it will regenerate after X gallons OR Y days. But generally speaking you should target regeneration for 7 - 14 days.
SMC23 wrote: As well of course as it does not use any electricity and is most efficient. Over time we hope the additional cost will pay for it self.

Most if not all water softeners do not use electricity except for the onboard computer / timer.

Anyhow, Water Softeners are extremely simple devices, basically all work the same (more or less) and are quite reliable. The only difference is cost.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
1728 posts
658 upvotes
Kitchener
coolspot wrote: Does it have a computer? Usually it will regenerate after X gallons OR Y days. But generally speaking you should target regeneration for 7 - 14 days.

Most if not all water softeners do not use electricity except for the onboard computer / timer.

Anyhow, Water Softeners are extremely simple devices, basically all work the same (more or less) and are quite reliable. The only difference is cost.

why would you regenerate at such a short interval? why not set it to, when it needs to?
Jul 26, 2010
927 posts
89 upvotes
eastern Ontario
Jamie_Canuck wrote: why would you regenerate at such a short interval? why not set it to, when it needs to?
From this link:http://www.aquatell.com/canada/knowledg ... r-softener
This link from that link is also very informative about sizing.
http://www.aquatell.com/canada/knowledg ... r-capacity

Apparently weekly regen is about right to keep the machine running without things starting to 'stick', keeps the parts moving. I've read it elsewhere.

"Now Calculate the Daily Softening Requirement

Multiply your daily water use by your water hardness (corrected for iron). This number is your Daily Softening Requirement. Here's an example:

Hardness: 10 grains per gallon

Daily Water Use: 4 People X 75 Gallons per day = 300 gallons per day

Daily Softening Requirement = 10 grains per gallon X 300 gallons per day = 3000 grains per day

In the example above, the softener will be removing 3000 grains per day. A softener is usually sized to regenerate about once per week"
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
canadiancynosure wrote: Can anyone recommend a company that services Newmarket (or York Region area) that will be honest - knowledgable (yeah, it's pretty bad when I call out a rep on something from my research), and decent in price. I'm not interested in a $6000 Kinetico system - but I would like something a little better then the Sears (Kenmore) brands.

Sears / Home Depot

or

Water Store - I used Home Comfort Center in Markham.

If you get a softener, I suggest you get a RO system too - much cheaper than Brita in the long term and filters the sodium from softened water.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
I recommend avoiding Sears or any brand that has the resin tank sitting inside the brine tank. I had a Sears unit with this design. At year 6, the resin tank started to delaminate. There was a huge crack in the outer layer. I called Sears about warranties and they indicated that as long as there is no leak, the 10 year warranty does not kick in. I have no intentions of running the pressure boundary to failure. So the warranty is meaningless. My current unit has separate resin and brine tanks, neither having fiberglass construction.
Jul 26, 2010
927 posts
89 upvotes
eastern Ontario
might want to check this place in london with free shipping. Someone has posted on redflag that they were happy with what they bought from this place.
Sep 4, 2007
15 posts
4 upvotes
38racing wrote: might want to check this place in london with free shipping. Someone has posted on redflag that they were happy with what they bought from this place.

Alright Finally...I got what I wanted. Called Peter a couple of days ago advised him I was up in Brampton. Told him I read about him thru the forum on redflagdeals. I wanted a CloroSoft I think that's how it's spelled...Rightaway he knew about the deal...Got a deal for 1400 tax included.

Today he was here setup the system with Steve and Simon (Very nice guys). Couple of hours they were done and done a great job. Guided us how to do what. They setup a new tab on the granite counter top (love it). Also they setup the fridge water with the lines. All plumbing was very nicely done. I highly recommend these guys. They are very professional in what they do. This system out beats what sears is giving on their website for 1600 plus tax and plus installation.

Thank you for all the people who have recommended me to him. Thank you Peter, Steve and Simon !!

www.waterworkcompany.com
Phone: 1-877-829-4191 (ask for Peter)