Home water softener system recommendation

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2017 7:52 am
Tags:
None
Oct 30, 2007
454 posts
4 upvotes
can you provide some links, brands, etc.?

I heard rave things about the Culligans and only want the best! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2743 posts
173 upvotes
Can anyone recommend a company in Milton to install a water softener?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1900 posts
79 upvotes
crimsondr wrote:
Jul 13th, 2009 2:14 pm
Can anyone recommend a company in Milton to install a water softener?
dont know if they go that far but I used these guys out of cambridge/kitchener

http://www.water1.ca/
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1317 posts
110 upvotes
I am moving to a brand new home in Oct. I'm just wondering do I really need a water softener? Can I live without one?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1900 posts
79 upvotes
umlowcn wrote:
Aug 12th, 2009 1:45 pm
I am moving to a brand new home in Oct. I'm just wondering do I really need a water softener? Can I live without one?
you can - but your appliances/pipes/clothes will last longer if using one. Really depends on where you live and the hardness of the water.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1317 posts
110 upvotes
scoop wrote:
May 13th, 2009 6:52 pm
FWIW - I ended up going with a local water softener company. After doing more research and talking to a friend in the industry in the states, it seems most "experts" have nothing but bad things to say about the home depot and sears style of machines (cabinet style) vs the traditional two tank system. They apparently are much more likely to break down and require a great deal of maintenance in the future, and are less efficient in salt use and production of soft water.

Culligan quoted me $2300 for their system, but a local company installed an equivalent system for me for $980 after all taxes and charges - about the same as I would have spent for an inferior model at sears or homedepot.
Do you mind to share your local company info? Did you get a two tank system? Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
1965 posts
706 upvotes
Barrie
Did a search and found this thread so didn't want to recreate one. Over the weekend I purchased the Kenmore Ultra 400 Softener and wanted to know if anyone here had one in operation and what their thoughts were on it.

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B002D3ER ... =398142011

I purchased it on a whim without much research so now doing my research before it gets delivered. The price was right and I intend to install it myself so figured I should give it a go.

I have read a lot of the posts on this forum as well as some other sites and the feelings are really mixed between the AiO "Big Box" units vs the Separate two tank models. I know more people are vocal about not liking the AiO units but for every one complaint I find one positive comment.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4302 posts
725 upvotes
Kitchener
RunnerForDeals wrote:
Oct 5th, 2009 10:57 am
Did a search and found this thread so didn't want to recreate one. Over the weekend I purchased the Kenmore Ultra 400 Softener and wanted to know if anyone here had one in operation and what their thoughts were on it.

I purchased it on a whim without much research so now doing my research before it gets delivered. The price was right and I intend to install it myself so figured I should give it a go.
happy with my Kenmore Ultra so far, installed it myself a few months ago. Pretty easy to do. it comes with plumbing connections for 3/4" copper lines so I upgraded some water supply piping from 1/2" to 3/4". Think I'm on my 3rd bag of salt since April 09
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1793 posts
40 upvotes
scoop wrote:
Aug 12th, 2009 1:51 pm
you can - but your appliances/pipes/clothes will last longer if using one. Really depends on where you live and the hardness of the water.
What's a good way to test the Hardness of the water?? Are there any kits/testers available anywhere?
I want to make sure I even need one before I drop $1500 on a water softener
Feb 22, 2010
5 posts
I wanted to bump this thread up to the top and see if anyone knows of any deals on a good water softener in the KW area. Any help find a reputable dealer with quality products at a fair price would be appreciated.

I've been lurking around the forums what seems like forever and finally joined so as I ask this question let me also say thanks for all the help I received in the past from the great posts here.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15923 posts
1832 upvotes
xstatik wrote:
Dec 17th, 2009 9:20 am
What's a good way to test the Hardness of the water?? Are there any kits/testers available anywhere?
I want to make sure I even need one before I drop $1500 on a water softener
You can test hard water using a TDS tester or hard water test strips.

Both avaliable on eBay/online.

Where do you live? Most municipalities post water hardness data online.
Dec 4, 2006
64 posts
3 upvotes
Brad94 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2010 8:35 pm
I wanted to bump this thread up to the top and see if anyone knows of any deals on a good water softener in the KW area. Any help find a reputable dealer with quality products at a fair price would be appreciated.

I've been lurking around the forums what seems like forever and finally joined so as I ask this question let me also say thanks for all the help I received in the past from the great posts here.
I recently had a Watersoftener and RO unit installed in our new place. After some research and referals from friends and colleagues we went with Ontario Soft Water on Victoria St.

This is their website:
http://www.gowatershopping.com/

So far (~2 weeks) everything is working great.

1500 installed taxes in for both the softener and the RO unit.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1176 posts
176 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
RunnerForDeals wrote:
Oct 5th, 2009 10:57 am

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B002D3ER ... =398142011

I have read a lot of the posts on this forum as well as some other sites and the feelings are really mixed between the AiO "Big Box" units vs the Separate two tank models. I know more people are vocal about not liking the AiO units but for every one complaint I find one positive comment.
The price is right for the one tank models. The biggest problem is that many vital parts are made of plastic and will corrode from the salt.

But since here in Canada the two tank models are so damned expensive, you might be okay with the cheapo stuff.
Dec 23, 2006
256 posts
18 upvotes
Brad94 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2010 8:35 pm

I can't speak for an installer since I installed mine myself (was easy since there was an existing water softener). But I bought the Water Ace Model from Home Hardware which has a Fleck control valve. Had it installed for over 12 months now and it has been working great. I would recommend it to anyone and the price was $699 on sale.