Tags:
None
Jul 26, 2010
844 posts
55 upvotes
eastern Ontario
Jamie_Canuck wrote:
Feb 9th, 2011 10:48 pm
why would you regenerate at such a short interval? why not set it to, when it needs to?
From this link:http://www.aquatell.com/canada/knowledg ... r-softener
This link from that link is also very informative about sizing.
http://www.aquatell.com/canada/knowledg ... r-capacity

Apparently weekly regen is about right to keep the machine running without things starting to 'stick', keeps the parts moving. I've read it elsewhere.

"Now Calculate the Daily Softening Requirement

Multiply your daily water use by your water hardness (corrected for iron). This number is your Daily Softening Requirement. Here's an example:

Hardness: 10 grains per gallon

Daily Water Use: 4 People X 75 Gallons per day = 300 gallons per day

Daily Softening Requirement = 10 grains per gallon X 300 gallons per day = 3000 grains per day

In the example above, the softener will be removing 3000 grains per day. A softener is usually sized to regenerate about once per week"
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15939 posts
1853 upvotes
canadiancynosure wrote:
Oct 6th, 2010 5:29 pm
Can anyone recommend a company that services Newmarket (or York Region area) that will be honest - knowledgable (yeah, it's pretty bad when I call out a rep on something from my research), and decent in price. I'm not interested in a $6000 Kinetico system - but I would like something a little better then the Sears (Kenmore) brands.

Many thanks to anyone who responds.

Sears / Home Depot

or

Water Store - I used Home Comfort Center in Markham.

If you get a softener, I suggest you get a RO system too - much cheaper than Brita in the long term and filters the sodium from softened water.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13007 posts
2923 upvotes
Toronto
I recommend avoiding Sears or any brand that has the resin tank sitting inside the brine tank. I had a Sears unit with this design. At year 6, the resin tank started to delaminate. There was a huge crack in the outer layer. I called Sears about warranties and they indicated that as long as there is no leak, the 10 year warranty does not kick in. I have no intentions of running the pressure boundary to failure. So the warranty is meaningless. My current unit has separate resin and brine tanks, neither having fiberglass construction.
Jul 26, 2010
844 posts
55 upvotes
eastern Ontario
might want to check this place in london with free shipping. Someone has posted on redflag that they were happy with what they bought from this place.
Sep 4, 2007
11 posts
1 upvote
38racing wrote:
Feb 11th, 2011 8:57 pm
might want to check this place in london with free shipping. Someone has posted on redflag that they were happy with what they bought from this place.

Alright Finally...I got what I wanted. Called Peter a couple of days ago advised him I was up in Brampton. Told him I read about him thru the forum on redflagdeals. I wanted a CloroSoft I think that's how it's spelled...Rightaway he knew about the deal...Got a deal for 1400 tax included.

Today he was here setup the system with Steve and Simon (Very nice guys). Couple of hours they were done and done a great job. Guided us how to do what. They setup a new tab on the granite counter top (love it). Also they setup the fridge water with the lines. All plumbing was very nicely done. I highly recommend these guys. They are very professional in what they do. This system out beats what sears is giving on their website for 1600 plus tax and plus installation.

Thank you for all the people who have recommended me to him. Thank you Peter, Steve and Simon !!

www.waterworkcompany.com
Phone: 1-877-829-4191 (ask for Peter)
Dec 26, 2003
276 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
This is what I based my decision to buy Water Softner

Twin Tanks : Twin tank designs allow system to backwash without ever going offline plus it uses soft water to regenerate so that means usin less salt and less water. In one tank system it uses hard water to regenerate

Metered Regeneration: Meters water to accurately determine when its time to regenerate.

so you will have two tanks and a resin tank.I have this sytem installed in my house and I love it.
Feb 13, 2007
103 posts
21 upvotes
Hoping to revive this thread as I'm currently in the lookout for a Water Softening system.
Scheduled a consultation with Kinetico but would like some feedback and recommendation from current users. I understand Kinetico is efficient and well reviewed but does the cost savings in the long run outweigh the initial investment? What would be a good price to pay for a system suitable for a small family (2 Adults/2 washroom)? Thanks
Dec 27, 2007
957 posts
298 upvotes
Oshawa
Come on..reviving a five year old thread to ask a question you've already asked in another thread? Really?

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/water-s ... 960323/44/

DarkEvilKen wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 7:37 pm
Hoping to revive this thread as I'm currently in the lookout for a Water Softening system.
Scheduled a consultation with Kinetico but would like some feedback and recommendation from current users. I understand Kinetico is efficient and well reviewed but does the cost savings in the long run outweigh the initial investment? What would be a good price to pay for a system suitable for a small family (2 Adults/2 washroom)? Thanks
Mar 19, 2013
583 posts
159 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Kinetics makes an excellent softner. However, they are expensive and highly propeitary. Meaning parts and service are tightly controlled and also expensive. I would have a look at a Fleck or Clac. Parts are inexpensive, readily available and in most one can easily do repairs themselves. Both are highly programmable by the user to achieve efficiency. I have a Fleck. Purchased online from Aquatell, an Ontario based company for around $800, 5 years ago.
Feb 13, 2007
103 posts
21 upvotes
Did a bit of research on the Fleck. It's stated to have a Softening Efficiency Rating (SER) of 3,333 gpp (3,333 grains per 1lb of salt), but realistically how does that translate in the real world. How often do you have to refill the bin?

Is this as efficient as a system gets for this price point?

Thanks in advance.
Feb 4, 2010
411 posts
103 upvotes
jonnyb wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 10:11 pm
Come on..reviving a five year old thread to ask a question you've already asked in another thread? Really?

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/water-s ... 960323/44/
Might as well, the moderator ends up merging current threads with 5+ year old discussions that are 100s of pages long.

At any rate, for the person asking I recently bought this one: http://www.excaliburwater.com/residenti ... r-softener
Mar 19, 2013
583 posts
159 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
DarkEvilKen wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:20 pm
Did a bit of research on the Fleck. It's stated to have a Softening Efficiency Rating (SER) of 3,333 gpp (3,333 grains per 1lb of salt), but realistically how does that translate in the real world. How often do you have to refill the bin?

Is this as efficient as a system gets for this price point?

Thanks in advance.
You want a properly sized and properly programmed softner for salt & water efficiency. Remember it takes anywhere from 60 to 80 gallons to regenerate a softner. Softners are usually programmed to regenerate about once a week, Keeps the resin bed fresh. Mine is a metered system, it gives me 1117 gal. of soft water or 8 days, whichever comes first, usually the 8 days. Resin bed sizes is measured in cubic feet of resin. In my case, I have a 1.5 cubic ft. Often referred to as a 48,000 grain system. Salt dosage is set at 6lbs. per regeneration, every 8 days max. You take 365 days divide by 8 days (that gives you the number of yearly regenerations) divide by 44lbs. (Bag of salt). That comes out to 6 bags of salt annually. I can easiy get 6 bags of salt in my brine/salt tank. I go 2 at a time, I fill it and have issues, I don't want to be removing salt to deal with problems. No problems yet, 6 years old.

Getting back to properly sized softner. Here is a great example, my old softner was under sized. It did produce soft water. To achieve soft water it would regenerate 2 to 3 times a week, use about 30 bags of salt annually. A total waste of salt and water.

Here some help to choose a properly sized for a softner:

Water hardness in grains per gal (gpg). If you are on municipal water they should be able to give you the number. Since water hardness varies throughout the year, you want the highest number. Then add a couple of gpg for good measure.

Number of people in house hold. Industry standards use 75 gallons of water per person per day.

Next you want to calculate how many grains of hardness you need to remove per regeneration, I will use my numbers.

18gpg X 2 people x 75 gal/person x 8 days = 21,600 grains of hardness to remove.
This number is important for efficiency and proper size.

Summary my old softner use about 30 bags of salt annually @ $ 7/ bag = $210. New softner 6 bags = $42.
Water usage for regenerations, old 10,920 gallons annually, new 3,194 gallons. Saving $. Water not cheap here.

All softners can achieve soft water at a cost. True soft water is 0gpg.
Feb 13, 2007
103 posts
21 upvotes
Jazmina wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:23 pm
Might as well, the moderator ends up merging current threads with 5+ year old discussions that are 100s of pages long.

At any rate, for the person asking I recently bought this one: http://www.excaliburwater.com/residenti ... r-softener
What would be a fair price to pay for the Chlor-a-Soft system? Seems to be listed on "Sale" on GTAWater for $1230.
Magoo61 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 3:03 pm
Summary my old softner use about 30 bags of salt annually @ $ 7/ bag = $210. New softner 6 bags = $42.
Water usage for regenerations, old 10,920 gallons annually, new 3,194 gallons. Saving $. Water not cheap here.

All softners can achieve soft water at a cost. True soft water is 0gpg.
Appreciate the detailed response. That answers my question.

Now I'm sitting on the fence:
1) Fleck 5600SXT 1.0 cubic feet @ $950
2) Excalibur Chlor-a-Soft @ 1230 + HST =1390

Both are well reviewed. Is it worth getting the extra features of the Chlor-a-Soft for an extra ~$450 :S
Mar 19, 2013
583 posts
159 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
DarkEvilKen wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 3:53 pm
What would be a fair price to pay for the Chlor-a-Soft system? Seems to be listed on "Sale" on GTAWater for $1230.

Appreciate the detailed response. That answers my question.

Now I'm sitting on the fence:
1) Fleck 5600SXT 1.0 cubic feet @ $950
2) Excalibur Chlor-a-Soft @ 1230 + HST =1390

Both are well reviewed. Is it worth getting the extra features of the Chlor-a-Soft for an extra ~$450 :S
I have the Fleck 5600 SXT. I bumped mine to 1.5 cubic feet. My mission was efficiency. 1 cu. ft would have done the job, more salt and or more regens. It has served me well.