Off Topic

Homeowner charged after shooting at Black teen who knocks on door asking direction to school after missing bus

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2018 2:18 pm
[OP]
Mar 13, 2018
972 posts
485 upvotes

Homeowner charged after shooting at Black teen who knocks on door asking direction to school after missing bus

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... -shot-him/

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/ar ... black-teen
Brennan Walker didn’t make the morning bus to school. He didn’t have his phone. And he wasn’t sure how to get to his high school.

Brennan needed help finding his way, and the home of Jeffrey Zeigler appeared to be just as good as any to seek neighborly guidance.

Zeigler answered with a shotgun blast.

Jurors on Tuesday watched video of the incident during Zeigler’s trial, which showed how close Brennan, then 14, may have come to a violent death on April 12 in Rochester Hills, Mich.

Zeigler, a retired firefighter, was charged with assault with intent to murder, which could lead to life in prison, Oakland County District Attorney Jessica R. Cooper told The Washington Post on Thursday, along with use of a firearm in a felony.

Extremely soft-spoken on the stand, Brennan, 15, had some difficulty recounting specifics about the alleged incident at Zeigler’s home on South Christian Hills Drive last April 12. But he did testify about how Zeigler and his wife reacted after he appeared on their front porch shortly after 8 a.m. that day, seeking directions to school. Without a cell phone due to his mother taking it from him the night before because he wasn’t doing his homework, Brennan said he was walking to school — relying on his memory of the bus route when he became confused.

Brennan said “a nice man” in the same neighborhood had given him directions awhile earlier, but he still lost his way. He then decided to try another house, which turned out to be the Zeiglers’.

Brennan said he had opened the screen door and knocked a few times on the home’s front door, then stepped back so whoever answered could see him through the window next to the door. Zeigler’s wife came to the door and mistakenly believed he was trying to break in, and then began yelling, Brennan testified.

Zeigler came downstairs, looking “like he had just woken up,” then moments later appeared with a shotgun.

“I was scared. I was trying to tell them that I was trying to get to high school, but they weren’t listening,” Brennan testified. He said he considered trying to continue explaining, but then decided leaving was a better idea.

57 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1745 posts
543 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Hey, its America. Shoot first, ask questions later.
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8779 posts
1936 upvotes
Trump University
The kid's probably traumatized for life now just like that movie "Get Out"

Here's a 14 year old kid with an intimidating pose, no way he gets shot at by the guy. I think he kinda realizes that now and looks a bit ashamed :lol:

...Life is Good 😎
Oct 7, 2018
5 posts
Have people really gone nuts, gun rights in America need to be scrutinized and amended. Everyone has got the right to own a firearm for safety and then they act like maniacs shooting at innocent people. I really the doubt the prison sentence being applied.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8779 posts
1936 upvotes
Trump University
looks like the guy has a history of getting charged with assault with a deadly weapon

...Life is Good 😎
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15613 posts
2049 upvotes
Toronto
He tried to shoot a teenager in the back and his defense is he's 'tired of being a victim'.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Feb 4, 2018
506 posts
25 upvotes
Here you go, an explanation to the problem in the USA and the reason why this crap keeps on happening:

Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8973 posts
854 upvotes
Toronto
lissi88 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 6:59 am
Have people really gone nuts, gun rights in America need to be scrutinized and amended. Everyone has got the right to own a firearm for safety and then they act like maniacs shooting at innocent people. I really the doubt the prison sentence being applied.
This is beyond ridiculous. And seeing that he has a past with this sort of thing makes me question as to how he’s even living a normal life and not behind bars.

People say our justice system is a joke compared to the US but it’s morons like this that our out on the streets that make me question just how harsh the US justice system really is.

As for the “he COULD face x amount of time”. Why doesn’t a judge just use these idiots as an example and give him the maximum?

If someone knocks on your door and you just blast the door with a shotgun because you “THINK” someone is trying to break in then you have some serious mental problems and shouldn’t own any type of gun. This should be obvious but we all know how the US loves their guns.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3474 posts
385 upvotes
USA! USA! USA!

Let's give everyone guns for self-defense, they say. What could possibly go wrong?

'Mericuh, f*** yeah!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5198 posts
2037 upvotes
This is a ridiculous situation but how does a 14 year old not know where his school is? Seems like he is completely oblivious if he doesn't have his phone on him to be deeply engrossed in so much that he has no idea of his surroundings or whereabouts. A generation lost.
Mar 7, 2017
385 posts
104 upvotes
Ham, ON
Conquistador wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 11:44 am
This is a ridiculous situation but how does a 14 year old not know where his school is?
I don't know anything about this situation in specific, but a comment regarding your observation.
There was recently a rash of home break-ins in my neighbourhood, and it was communicated afterwards to the neighbours that each of the houses that got broken into had been visited previously during the day, presumably to check in if anyone was home, under the guise of trying to sell "lawn care" or the like, similarly to "asking for directions". It is good to be vigilant for this sort of thing, especially when it is out of the ordinary.
[OP]
Mar 13, 2018
972 posts
485 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 11:44 am
This is a ridiculous situation but how does a 14 year old not know where his school is? Seems like he is completely oblivious if he doesn't have his phone on him to be deeply engrossed in so much that he has no idea of his surroundings or whereabouts. A generation lost.
Why? High school distance can be huge especially in the states, if his usual method is on a bus, it's not that surprising he doesn't know how to navigate there through side streets when he's never walked there before

It's not his elementary school

People have cars, gps, phones and still ask for directions..why not a grade 9 first time trying to get to school on his own?
[OP]
Mar 13, 2018
972 posts
485 upvotes
DealFixation wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 11:53 am
I don't know anything about this situation in specific, but a comment regarding your observation.
There was recently a rash of home break-ins in my neighbourhood, and it was communicated afterwards to the neighbours that each of the houses that got broken into had been visited previously during the day, presumably to check in if anyone was home, under the guise of trying to sell "lawn care" or the like, similarly to "asking for directions". It is good to be vigilant for this sort of thing, especially when it is out of the ordinary.
Yes.. shooting people who ring doorbell in the back is vigilant
Mar 7, 2017
385 posts
104 upvotes
Ham, ON
Gboard2 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:00 pm
Yes.. shooting people who ring doorbell in the back is vigilant
Are you done putting words and insinuations in other peoples mouths?