Computers & Electronics

HomePod - $349USD and available only in USA/UK/Australia on Feb 9th (pre-order starts tomorrow)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2018 9:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
17704 posts
5822 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU

HomePod - $349USD and available only in USA/UK/Australia on Feb 9th (pre-order starts tomorrow)

So who's crossing the border to get one? lol

It'll be $450 CAD when they introduce it here later in the year. So over $500 with tax. The sound on that thing better be masterful for that price

https://www.apple.com/homepod/

deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
21 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30367 posts
7491 upvotes
GTHA
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 1:35 pm
So who's crossing the border to get one? lol

It'll be $450 CAD when they introduce it here later in the year. So over $500 with tax. The sound on that thing better be masterful for that price

https://www.apple.com/homepod/
Madeline Buxton, writing for Refinery29...

HomePod also delivers where it counts: The sound. When I listened to the speaker next to Google Home Max, the latest Amazon Echo, and Sonos One, the vocals were consistently crisper and clearer on HomePod. The pluck of guitar strings pops, and bass notes have the robust thump-thump you want from them.

from http://www.refinery29.com/2018/01/18884 ... er-quality
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
5327 posts
3530 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Haha they compared the sound of the HomePod to something like the Sonos One that’s half the price.

Let’s put up some Vette vs Civic comparisons also!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
17704 posts
5822 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
lol

sonos is fighting back hard I hear. Offering 2 sonos 1's for the price of a homepod (so basically $25 off the regular price of each).

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... zon-google

I'd be curious to hear the sound quality coming out of that homepod. The sound quality of my 2 GH's (playing simultaneously) is pretty good (like a million times better than the horde of echo dots I have). I also live in a smallish condo so the sound doesn't have very far to travel.

The issue with the homepod is that siri is an absolute moron....so the value of that speaker is probably 95% in it's sound quality. Asking siri a question is pretty much a waste of time. Google and Alexa are much better in that regard.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
5327 posts
3530 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 11:26 am
lol

sonos is fighting back hard I hear. Offering 2 sonos 1's for the price of a homepod (so basically $25 off the regular price of each).

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... zon-google

I'd be curious to hear the sound quality coming out of that homepod. The sound quality of my 2 GH's (playing simultaneously) is pretty good (like a million times better than the horde of echo dots I have). I also live in a smallish condo so the sound doesn't have very far to travel.

The issue with the homepod is that siri is an absolute moron....so the value of that speaker is probably 95% in it's sound quality. Asking siri a question is pretty much a waste of time. Google and Alexa are much better in that regard.
Pricewise the Play 5 ($499 right now at Costco!) would be the comp for Homepod.... I guess and throw in a cheap Echo Dot for the voice commands.

I’m in a wait to see mode on the voice platform I go with...mostly I want compatibility with my Logitech Harmony Hub and a variety of OS platforms since I use them all.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
27766 posts
3587 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
cartfan123 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 12:50 pm
I’m in a wait to see mode on the voice platform I go with...mostly I want compatibility with my Logitech Harmony Hub and a variety of OS platforms since I use them all.
I’m in the same boat. I use every OS, but I think I will invest in google simply because of the assistant. If home automation is a priority, then Alexa would be the smarter choice. However, no one supports ZWave which is my preferred automation protocol.
Sep 28, 2015
327 posts
155 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
The general consensus of the reviews are that the sound is incredible (comparable to Sonos Play:3 or even 5 some say) but Siri sucks.

Not sure why this is not available in Canada?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2070 posts
1085 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
warmdeals wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 9:33 am
The general consensus of the reviews are that the sound is incredible (comparable to Sonos Play:3 or even 5 some say) but Siri sucks.

Most likely to do with further localization of Siri and implementing French Canadian. Or they just don't have enough stock and doing a staggered launch.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1860 posts
399 upvotes
Windsor
warmdeals wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 9:33 am

Apple products tend to have a lot of dutch ruddering going on at launch from reviewers, so I'd take these glowing reviews with a grain of salt.

Having said that, I am sure it sounds great, but at it's price point, it probably needs to be a lot better than the Sonos speakers its competing with (which I personally believe are nothing to brag about); Sonos speakers have a TON of wiggle room for price too, which is good for us.

Plus, there's the curiously janky Spotify support, which I personally believe is the primary reason most people would even spend $$ on this type of thing.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11014 posts
1935 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm sure it sounds pretty good for its size, and possibly better than many other sized units due to some clever design and engineering with psychoacoustics. I would definitely be interested in buying one if it could take other music input (even if only it was Bluetooth), but I don't need a speaker that is limited to Apple's walled garden. My wife is entirely in the Apple Ecosystem, but I'm still a mixed Windows/Google/iOS/Alexa user.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3811 posts
485 upvotes
I wish the PS4 supported Apple Airplay because then I could buy a HomePod to replace my 5.1 speakers setup and my living room would look much cleaner.
Dec 20, 2015
722 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:01 pm
I wish the PS4 supported Apple Airplay because then I could buy a HomePod to replace my 5.1 speakers setup and my living room would look much cleaner.
Why don't you just get a nice sound bar with wireless sub instead? If you have a small area to cover, it would do the job right.
Dec 14, 2004
679 posts
32 upvotes
Waterloo
I agree with a lot of comments here, and to be honest, while it seems like it's a great sounding speaker, I'm not convinced that the value is there - it feels like a beta product right now. That and the fact that I just can't help but have a bad taste in my mouth lately with the way Apple has behaved. First the battery debacle, which I was a victim of (I bought a new iPhone because my old one became unbearably slow). Now the HomePod is leaving marks on tables, but Apple's response is "hey this is normal, re-oil your table". LOL