Jul 14, 2017
47 posts
1 upvote

Honda Civic EX or Toyota Corolla SE upgrade

Hello Experts,

I want to buy a new Sedan. I am little bit confused to buy. I have two options:

1. 2017 Honda Civic Sedan EX
2. 2017 Toyota Corolla SE upgrade edition

Someone says, Honda civic is not reliable as like Toyota Corolla. Some other says, for Honda Civic, insurance is higher than Corolla.
Confused what to buy.

Another thing is that, I want to keep the car more 5 years.

Should I go for finance or Should I go for lease?

I have heard that for lease, if any accident happend, dealer will get the claim. Actually, I want to know when lease is better and finance is.

Thanks for your opinion.
57 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2389 posts
392 upvotes
Both are roomy.

Old school transmission and engine on corolla but nothing wrong as reliable.

CVT on civic and more oomph.

What would be driving, highway, city, how many passengers, etc.
Dec 6, 2015
55 posts
25 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Toyotas are much better built cars. Civics are flimsy & cheaply made...although they have outstanding engines & transmissions. The civic 2.0 will return slightly better mpg than the ancient Corolla 1.8 but still slightly lower than the 1.5t found in turbo models. Civics historically have higher insurance but that might be changing based on newer safety features. If I just needed a POS appliance to go back & forth I'd go with a Corolla based on the fact it will be more reliable long term if properly cared for.
[OP]
Jul 14, 2017
47 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the nice opinions. I heard the same. Corolla is good but Civic 2017 is now newly designed and interiors are better than Corolla though insurance is higher than corolla.

What about the lease and finance?
I just read out that there is a problem in the lease if any accident happened and also dealer charges a lot.
I am confused which I should go with.
Jan 19, 2007
606 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
rumel36 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:51 pm
Hello Experts,

Someone says, Honda civic is not reliable as like Toyota Corolla. Some other says, for Honda Civic, insurance is higher than Corolla.
Confused what to buy.

I personally do not believe in two options - you should have more. Like in this class Mazda 3 and VW Golf/Jetta should be comparables
And moreover why would not consider Civic Hatch out of curiosity? I think the Civic hatch has a higher utility than the sedan. It's done a little better in UK and with the turbo is a little sprightlier - so your residual value would be higher in a period of time

As to your two choices - I've driven the new Corolla recently: I would say as quality of the interiors and materials currently Civic and Corollas are the same level as sedans. Actually Civic has went down as they used to be a little nicer.... and we still have a civic in the family for that reason.
As to insurance - Civics is usually go higher due to the demographic that drives it.
As to financials - don't bet you will drive the car more that X years, so I find that leasing it more practical ...unless you have all cash of course.
[OP]
Jul 14, 2017
47 posts
1 upvote
ohnabatko wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 7:25 pm
I personally do not believe in two options - you should have more. Like in this class Mazda 3 and VW Golf/Jetta should be comparables
And moreover why would not consider Civic Hatch out of curiosity? I think the Civic hatch has a higher utility than the sedan. It's done a little better in UK and with the turbo is a little sprightlier - so your residual value would be higher in a period of time

As to your two choices - I've driven the new Corolla recently: I would say as quality of the interiors and materials currently Civic and Corollas are the same level as sedans. Actually Civic has went down as they used to be a little nicer.... and we still have a civic in the family for that reason.
As to insurance - Civics is usually go higher due to the demographic that drives it.
As to financials - don't bet you will drive the car more that X years, so I find that leasing it more practical ...unless you have all cash of course.
Thanks for your elaborative reply. I checked the Civic Hatch but its price 6k (Civic Hatch Sport with sensing) more than Civic EX.

I want to go with the lease but I heard if there is any accident happened then the dealer will get the insurance claim and also there is a restriction in mileage per year.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5733 posts
1114 upvotes
aGincourt
Drive both and see which one you like more

In response to another user recommending a mazda3 or VW,

-Mazda3's rust easily
-VWs are not a reliable as a Civic or Corolla
Feb 19, 2017
120 posts
38 upvotes
It comes down to priorities. Toyota's are more reliable and have more safety features for the money. But the Civic doesn't exactly lack in these regards, either.

Personally I'd choose the Civic hands down. More performance, better fuel economy, better looking (IMO), supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (unlike Toyota and its Entune system). Plus FWIW, car critics love the new Civic - the Corolla, not so much. Personally I don't think the extra features that come with the EX aren't worth it, so I'd be looking at the LX to save a few K. If I wanted the moon roof and alloy wheels, I'd spend the extra $1.5K and get the EX-T for the turbo engine.
Jul 14, 2002
933 posts
267 upvotes
rumel36 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:51 pm
Hello Experts,

Confused what to buy.

Another thing is that, I want to keep the car more 5 years.

I have heard that for lease, if any accident happend, dealer will get the claim. Actually, I want to know when lease is better and finance is.

Thanks for your opinion.
True and True for insurance and total ownership cost being higher on the civic.
We have a 2009 Civic DX-G and compared to my friends 2008 Corolla, we ended us changing tires at 80,000km vs 140,000km. And brake pads at 90,000km vs 150,000km.
But then again our civic was plagued by the toe-d in rear lower control arms that ate tires and my friend drives 90% highway to work, vs us at 90% city.
Insurance will be about 10% higher for the Hondas too.
Feb 19, 2017
120 posts
38 upvotes
dantey wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 11:49 pm
We have a 2009 Civic DX-G and compared to my friends 2008 Corolla, we ended us changing tires at 80,000km vs 140,000km. And brake pads at 90,000km vs 150,000km.
But then again our civic was plagued by the toe-d in rear lower control arms that ate tires and my friend drives 90% highway to work, vs us at 90% city.
150K for the first set of replacement tires and brakes sounds too good to be true. Your experience at 80-90K is more reasonable, but still pretty decent.
[OP]
Jul 14, 2017
47 posts
1 upvote
dantey wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 11:49 pm
It seems Corolla is more reliable :(
[OP]
Jul 14, 2017
47 posts
1 upvote
50centdollars wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 11:39 pm
It comes down to priorities. Toyota's are more reliable and have more safety features for the money. But the Civic doesn't exactly lack in these regards, either.

Personally I'd choose the Civic hands down. More performance, better fuel economy, better looking (IMO), supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (unlike Toyota and its Entune system). Plus FWIW, car critics love the new Civic - the Corolla, not so much. Personally I don't think the extra features that come with the EX aren't worth it, so I'd be looking at the LX to save a few K. If I wanted the moon roof and alloy wheels, I'd spend the extra $1.5K and get the EX-T for the turbo engine.
Thanks. But the difference between LX trim and EX trim is big (Alloy wheels, blind spot camera, moonroof, push button start, remote engine start, climate control, Honda sensing etc) in terms of 2k extra. For EX-T, I have to spend more 1.5k also insurance is high for EX-T
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1105 posts
249 upvotes
Oakville
You need to get a quote from your insurance company for both cars. Insurance is very dependent on personal situation so don't automatically assume Civic costs more than Corolla. When I crossed shopped these 2 cars back in '14 insurance for me was a wash.

Anecdotally I'd say Corolla is slightly more reliable than Civic primarily because Corolla uses old but proven technology. Civic has more power (158hp vs 132hp) and handles better. Make a detailed comparison and see what the tradeoffs are then see what's more important to you.

I opted for the '14 Civic. At the time I chose newer technology , efficiency and handling over **possible** incremental reliability.
Personally I find Corolla (and Toyotas in general) too bland wrt styling and too conservative wrt technology and I'm in my mid-50's!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5450 posts
1182 upvotes
OP, I have a 2016 Corolla (LE upgrade trim) and it's an easy car to live with. Insurance and maintenance cost is low and features the creature comforts to make your daily drive enjoyable. Yes, it's slower and not too exciting to drive but if you need a reliable Point A to B car, can't go wrong with Corolla.
Feb 19, 2017
120 posts
38 upvotes
rumel36 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 2:47 am
Thanks. But the difference between LX trim and EX trim is big (Alloy wheels, blind spot camera, moonroof, push button start, remote engine start, climate control, Honda sensing etc) in terms of 2k extra. For EX-T, I have to spend more 1.5k also insurance is high for EX-T
Pretty sure it's a 4K difference OTR between the LX w/o Honda Sensing and the EX. You do get a lot for the extra money, but for me it just isn't worth it. But hey, if these are things you want, go for it!