• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2017 12:43 am
May 17, 2017
22 posts
13 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 6:28 pm
Both are roomy.

Old school transmission and engine on corolla but nothing wrong as reliable.

CVT on civic and more oomph.

What would be driving, highway, city, how many passengers, etc.
I feel like the Civic is at least half a class larger than the Corolla.
With the new size increase, its width and height are the same as the 7th gen Accord, while the Corolla has remained on the same platform and similar size for 10+ years and its narrow cabin certainly feels it.

edit: the Corolla has also had a CVT since 2014.
Last edited by AstulzerRSX on Jul 17th, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jul 14, 2017
27 posts
AstulzerRSX wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:30 am
I feel like the Civic is at least half a class larger than the Corolla.
With the new size increase, its width and height are the same as the 7th gen Accord, while the Corolla has remained on the same platform and similar size for 10+ years and its narrow cabin certainly feels it.
Thats true. I noticed the same. The width and height are little bit bigger than Corolla
[OP]
Jul 14, 2017
27 posts
RETD wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:08 am
You need to get a quote from your insurance company for both cars. Insurance is very dependent on personal situation so don't automatically assume Civic costs more than Corolla. When I crossed shopped these 2 cars back in '14 insurance for me was a wash.

Anecdotally I'd say Corolla is slightly more reliable than Civic primarily because Corolla uses old but proven technology. Civic has more power (158hp vs 132hp) and handles better. Make a detailed comparison and see what the tradeoffs are then see what's more important to you.

I opted for the '14 Civic. At the time I chose newer technology , efficiency and handling over **possible** incremental reliability.
Personally I find Corolla (and Toyotas in general) too bland wrt styling and too conservative wrt technology and I'm in my mid-50's!
Yes. True fact. Actually, the price is almost same with Corolla SE upgrade edition.
Basically, what I have check with the insurance company? I have heard some portion is negotiable.
Sorry, I have no knowledge about that :(
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1079 posts
237 upvotes
Oakville
rumel36 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:47 pm
Yes. True fact. Actually, the price is almost same with Corolla SE upgrade edition.
Basically, what I have check with the insurance company? I have heard some portion is negotiable.
Sorry, I have no knowledge about that :(
Not sure I understand specifically what your question is.
[OP]
Jul 14, 2017
27 posts
RETD wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:57 pm
Not sure I understand specifically what your question is.
I mean what is coverage basically I should check with insurance company. I have heard that there are two portion in insurance.
one is deductible and other is collision expense. Someone told me that deductible is negotiable.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1079 posts
237 upvotes
Oakville
rumel36 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:03 pm
I mean what is coverage basically I should check with insurance company. I have heard that there are two portion in insurance.
one is deductible and other is collision expense. Someone told me that deductible is negotiable.
I have to conclude that this is your first car and that you've never had auto insurance before. I'm not going to educate you on auto insurance, there are many resources online that you can find so you'll have to do some homework.

To compare insurance costs for each of the cars that you are considering just make sure that you are evaluating based on the same coverage for both. You can call a broker or for a quick comparison go to kanetix.ca and play around with the options.
https://www.kanetix.ca/
[OP]
Jul 14, 2017
27 posts
RETD wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:11 pm
I have to conclude that this is your first car and that you've never had auto insurance before. I'm not going to educate you on auto insurance, there are many resources online that you can find so you'll have to do some homework.

To compare insurance costs for each of the cars that you are considering just make sure that you are evaluating based on the same coverage for both. You can call a broker or for a quick comparison go to kanetix.ca and play around with the options.
https://www.kanetix.ca/
Thanks a lot
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23579 posts
2187 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
rumel36 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 7:41 pm
I want to go with the lease but I heard if there is any accident happened then the dealer will get the insurance claim and also there is a restriction in mileage per year.
Lease costs more overall if you plan to keep the car long term.

If there is an accident, the insurance pays the leasing company since they technically own the car. You're not suppose to profit from an accident.

Most leases have a 24,000 KM per year allowance. You can buy more if necessary up front at a cheaper cost, but overages are usually charged between 12 - 15 cents per kilometer

The advantage of a lease is the write off for business. You can write off the lease payments against your business income. The other advantage is the sales tax. You only pay tax on the portion you lease, no the entire vehicle.
[OP]
Jul 14, 2017
27 posts
Gee wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:48 pm
Lease costs more overall if you plan to keep the car long term.

If there is an accident, the insurance pays the leasing company since they technically own the car. You're not suppose to profit from an accident.

Most leases have a 24,000 KM per year allowance. You can buy more if necessary up front at a cheaper cost, but overages are usually charged between 12 - 15 cents per kilometer

The advantage of a lease is the write off for business. You can write off the lease payments against your business income. The other advantage is the sales tax. You only pay tax on the portion you lease, no the entire vehicle.
Yes true. Lease has some demerits. I talked with an insurance personnel about the lease. They confirmed me that if any accident happened then they will deduct the remaining amount of car from the insurance claim and I will get after deduction.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23579 posts
2187 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
rumel36 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 2:05 pm
Yes true. Lease has some demerits. I talked with an insurance personnel about the lease. They confirmed me that if any accident happened then they will deduct the remaining amount of car from the insurance claim and I will get after deduction.
Since this is your first car, I think you're better off buying a used car. It will be cheaper and once you get more experience, you can sell the car for a little less than what you paid and get a new car

To answer your eariler question. There are three parts to insurance

Liability
Comprehensive
Collision

You must buy liability, comprehensive and collision insurance is optional if you own the car out right. If it is financed or leased, you need to buy all three

Collision is just that, collision damage
Comprehensive is more for cosmetic damage
Liability is for third parties

Trust me on this, buy a 4 - 6 year old used car for ~$8,000, drive it for a few years and sell it for $5,000 - $6,000. Your total cost of ownership will be lower and you will gain valuable experience which you lack. Plus if your under 25, you will save on insurance on a used car vs a new
[OP]
Jul 14, 2017
27 posts
Gee wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 2:12 pm
Since this is your first car, I think you're better off buying a used car. It will be cheaper and once you get more experience, you can sell the car for a little less than what you paid and get a new car

To answer your eariler question. There are three parts to insurance

Liability
Comprehensive
Collision

You must buy liability, comprehensive and collision insurance is optional if you own the car out right. If it is financed or leased, you need to buy all three

Collision is just that, collision damage
Comprehensive is more for cosmetic damage
Liability is for third parties

Trust me on this, buy a 4 - 6 year old used car for ~$8,000, drive it for a few years and sell it for $5,000 - $6,000. Your total cost of ownership will be lower and you will gain valuable experience which you lack. Plus if your under 25, you will save on insurance on a used car vs a new
Awesome. Thanks for your details explanation And suggestion.
I was also thinking to buy old one but in my current situation I dont have any cash to buy or finance.
Finance also needs minimum 10~15%down payment and good credit score which I dont have. That is why i am looking for lease. I dont have any other option :(
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23579 posts
2187 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
rumel36 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:28 pm
Awesome. Thanks for your details explanation And suggestion.
I was also thinking to buy old one but in my current situation I dont have any cash to buy or finance.
Finance also needs minimum 10~15%down payment and good credit score which I dont have. That is why i am looking for lease. I dont have any other option :(
You need good credit to lease or finance a car

If you can't afford the down payment, how do you plan to pay for insurance? Gas? Maintenance?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2122 posts
246 upvotes
Orleans
I have a 2013 Civic EX.

Reliable? Not necessarily better than a Corolla.
Fun drive? Probably a bit better than a Corolla.
Interior design? I prefer it to the Corolla.
Exterior design? I find it more dynamic.

Paint quality? Paint chips easily. I had paint blobs between the quarter panel and back bumper on both sides which flaked off. You can start to see rust. I have seen this problem on 2013 & 2014. Honda Canada will not cover it under warranty. I also had a discolored body moulding and it was an hassle dealing with them. One guy from the local Acura body shop told me they had to retouch some 2016 back bumpers. Scared me a bit.

Fuel economy : not close to advertised.

Insurance: I find it expensive for an econo car.

So overall, would I buy again....not sure. Might give Toyota a try next time as I am not impressed with Honda Canada. Would I buy another Civic, probably yes. All cars have their problems, unfortunately not all manufacturer deals with them the best way.
[OP]
Jul 14, 2017
27 posts
Poulet wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 5:08 pm
I have a 2013 Civic EX.

Reliable? Not necessarily better than a Corolla.
Fun drive? Probably a bit better than a Corolla.
Interior design? I prefer it to the Corolla.
Exterior design? I find it more dynamic.

Paint quality? Paint chips easily. I had paint blobs between the quarter panel and back bumper on both sides which flaked off. You can start to see rust. I have seen this problem on 2013 & 2014. Honda Canada will not cover it under warranty. I also had a discolored body moulding and it was an hassle dealing with them. One guy from the local Acura body shop told me they had to retouch some 2016 back bumpers. Scared me a bit.

Fuel economy : not close to advertised.

Insurance: I find it expensive for an econo car.

So overall, would I buy again....not sure. Might give Toyota a try next time as I am not impressed with Honda Canada. Would I buy another Civic, probably yes. All cars have their problems, unfortunately not all manufacturer deals with them the best way.
Really surprising. But 2017 Honda Civic, I have seen redesigned and better look. That is why I prefer to get it.
[OP]
Jul 14, 2017
27 posts
Gee wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:45 pm
You need good credit to lease or finance a car

If you can't afford the down payment, how do you plan to pay for insurance? Gas? Maintenance?
I will pay monthly 700 Max but down payment almost 4k I have to pay at a time. :(