Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1213 posts
318 upvotes
Oakville

Honda CVT fluid change?

I have a '14 Civic purchased 4 yrs ago. Just had an oil change at 65K. At this change and the previous one a year ago at 50K the dealer told me the CVT fluid was in poor condition and needed to be changed for $160. On various Civic forums most are reporting the MM tells them to change CVT fluid around 130K or more.

Car is still under PT warranty, driven under mix of city and highway and not driven hard.

I removed the CVT filler plug but can't get at the fluid, seems the only way is from underneath via the overflow. I can't tell if the fluid smells burnt (by sniffing the plug) and how it should smell compared to a regular geared auto tranny.

Don't have a lot of experience with CVTs, just trying to figure out if the dealer is BS'ing me or if it really needs changing. I should press them on why the CVT fluid is in bad shape with such low KM while the warranty is still in effect.

Thoughts?
2 replies
Feb 8, 2017
382 posts
163 upvotes
i would change it. if the cvt fluid hasn't been changed since you bought it it's due. fresh fluid, especially in a cvt, won't hurt. did you check on youtube for videos on how to change the cvt fluid? i think it's pretty easy so if you are handy just buy the fluid and do it yourself. if you are not for $160 the dealer isn't exactly raping you if you get them to do it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1213 posts
318 upvotes
Oakville
Anybody else have a service experience with their Honda CVT?

How many km before the Maintenance Minder said it had to be done?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)