Automotive

Honda direct injection engine carbon buildup?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 4:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1770 posts
389 upvotes
Maple

Honda direct injection engine carbon buildup?

Hello, I assume like most direct injection engines Honda will face the same issues of carbon buildup on valves due to fuel not acting like a solvent and washing carbon like traditional engines.

Is there a way to mitigate this at all ? I rather service this regularly to maintain fuel efficiency and hefty maintenance down the line.
47 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10301 posts
9468 upvotes
Oakville
Typically you would regularly spray cleaner in your intake. Seafoam is popular, but ones with Techron are supposed to work better.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5001 posts
4294 upvotes
Montreal
corcoran_chris wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 9:02 pm
Hello, I assume like most direct injection engines Honda will face the same issues of carbon buildup on valves due to fuel not acting like a solvent and washing carbon like traditional engines.

Is there a way to mitigate this at all ? I rather service this regularly to maintain fuel efficiency and hefty maintenance down the line.

Yes.

Buy a Toyota.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23203 posts
8161 upvotes
Toronto
^ I thought you would say “buy electric car” Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1977 posts
2022 upvotes
GTA
A friend of mine with a GDI Hyundai uses CRC Intake Valve Cleaner every so often as preventative maintenance.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6187 posts
820 upvotes
Only fill up with a Tier 1 gas.

But let me ask you this one question:
Where are all these posts from Honda owners complaining about horrible carbon build up on their DI engines?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5567 posts
1938 upvotes
Alberta
corcoran_chris wrote:

This is the least of your worries. Read up about Honda engines and oil dilution.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3567 posts
223 upvotes
Thornhill
Alot of manufacturers have figured out ways to route the blow by not back into the intake (a more advanced oil catch can). Not sure about Honda but Mercedes has done this. You can install an oil catch can which catches the blow by but you have to remember to check on it and empty the reservoir.

Edit: Also there's no point in asking good questions on RFD, too many people like the above posters that don't know the answer and instead take the discussion elsewhere. Find a Honda forum and ask there as well.
Last edited by mau108 on Mar 11th, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 8, 2010
233 posts
183 upvotes
corcoran_chris wrote:
Lease, don't buy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27110 posts
13113 upvotes
Ottawa
All you can do is mitigate the issue.
Walnut blasting is the only sure way to get rid of the deposits.
Jan 12, 2008
759 posts
310 upvotes
TDot
woof wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 10:53 pm
Only fill up with a Tier 1 gas.

But let me ask you this one question:
Where are all these posts from Honda owners complaining about horrible carbon build up on their DI engines?
Good point, Honda has been using DI for a few years now. A quick Google search and (unlike Audi) I was unable to find any evidence of carbon buildup issues.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3802 posts
3866 upvotes
Toronto, ON
VTEC kicks the carbon off the valves. Exercise it regularly and you'll have no problems.
Feb 7, 2017
48 posts
34 upvotes
can of seafoam in the gas tank when it's half full. Buy either seafoam spray or any generic throttle body cleaner, take off the air intake and spray into the throttle body towards the valve. Activate the valve to get behind it as well. put down some papertowel or some cloths to catch any cleaner that comes out of the throttle body. After reattaching everything idle for a bit and go for a good drive (give it some gas to get any left-over carbon to come off the throttle body)
Jan 17, 2009
788 posts
600 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Just wait for it to get bad and then get carbon cleaning.

All the other stuff is just snake oil and on a long enough timeline you will need carbon cleaning anyways.

Some brands/engines have it worse (ie VW's). It's not like it's hugely expensive or you have to get it cleaned often so don't worry about it and drive the car as you normally do.