Automotive

Honda direct injection engine carbon buildup?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 4:58 pm
Aug 29, 2012
117 posts
97 upvotes
WINNIPEG
burnt69 wrote: .

The test that approximates this in the lab is known as the NOACK volatility test. .
That information for oil is hard to find. Any helpful links?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2404 posts
1308 upvotes
themikewoo wrote: That information for oil is hard to find. Any helpful links?
ASTM D5800 is a term you can throw into Google if you want...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16201 posts
6361 upvotes
themikewoo wrote: That information for oil is hard to find. Any helpful links?
https://pentasflora.com/laboratory-serv ... olatility/

The Noack Volatility Test, otherwise known as ASTM D-5800, determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high-temperature service. The more motor oils vaporize, the thicker and heavier they become, contributing to poor circulation, reduced fuel economy and increased oil consumption, wear and emissions. This test is important because the operating temperatures of an engine will typically drive off the lighter ends of a lubricant while in service. This effectively results in pushing the viscosity of the lubricant to a more viscous level (up) and, as a result, fuel economy goes down due to an increase in parasitic load.

The Noack volatility of an oil is defined as the weight loss of the oil when it is held under isothermal conditions at 250oC fro a period of 1 hour under a constant flow of air.
The evaporation loss is of particular importance in engine lubrication. Where high temperatures occur, portions of an oil can evaporate. Evaporation may contribute to oil consumption in an engine and can lead to a change in the properties of an oil.

And an article from Amsoil:
http://oil-synthetic.com/2013/03/26/noa ... lity-test/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1898 posts
518 upvotes
Maple
burnt69 wrote: Use the proper spec oil, which is 0W-20 synthetic. And don't change it more often than the manufacturer advises per the maintenance minder. Not changing the oil more frequently than spec is crucial.

Stay away from additives. The only thing they're good for is lightening your wallet. Spending extra on fuel is also a waste of money, use the octane recommended and no more.

Most of the problem arises from misinformed, but well meaning people who change their oil way too often, or who use the wrong oil (which is often the case with a scammy dealer or scammy quickie lube oil change). "More" is not "better".

I assume this came out wrong and you ment to say to change more frequently than the maintenance minder ?

IMO clean oil is best, carbon build up is in conjunction with blowback from combustion past the valves and dirty oil.

Valve stems are lubricated by oil and some of this oil can eventually work it's way down the stem and near the valve head itself. The valve head is hot, burning off the oil but leaving whatever junk is in the oil behind, typically carbon and other engine junk from oil being a detergent.

Having clean oil would help in this regard.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10875 posts
5209 upvotes
Brampton
vkizzle wrote: Huh?
He doesn't know you have two classic Honda Legends (Not the actual Legend) and thinks you don't know what you're talking about.
The 2.4 is a POS and thinks anyone who talks crap about Honda must automatically love Kia and Hyundai.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30297 posts
16121 upvotes
Ottawa
tebore wrote: He doesn't know you have two classic Honda Legends (Not the actual Legend) and thinks you don't know what you're talking about.
The 2.4 is a POS and thinks anyone who talks crap about Honda must automatically love Kia and Hyundai.
Speaking of the Legend, I'm kicking myself for not jumping in on an opportunity to buy a very good condition Vigor GS 5sp manual, when I had the chance to.
Jan 12, 2008
814 posts
344 upvotes
TDot
vkizzle wrote: Speaking of the Legend, I'm kicking myself for not jumping in on an opportunity to buy a very good condition Vigor GS 5sp manual, when I had the chance to.
Haven't seen one of those in years. How was it not rusted out?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30297 posts
16121 upvotes
Ottawa
IndusVally wrote: Haven't seen one of those in years. How was it not rusted out?
Oh, this was many years ago.
It was a garage queen owned by my parent's neighbor.
Black/purple exterior...gorgeous.
Jan 12, 2008
814 posts
344 upvotes
TDot
vkizzle wrote: Oh, this was many years ago.
Yeah, my buddy had one in the early 2000s, it had a auto/5cyl engine and was the precursor to the TL. Was peppy for it's day.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10875 posts
5209 upvotes
Brampton
vkizzle wrote: Oh, this was many years ago.
Ouuu that was a nice color. So sad that the many I've seen were ruined with Purpling tint and ricer exhausts and the like mods and horrible rust cancer in the later years.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30297 posts
16121 upvotes
Ottawa
IndusVally wrote: Yeah, my buddy had one in the early 2000s, it had a auto/5cyl engine and was the precursor to the TL. Was peppy for it's day.
One of the quirks (aka Doug Munro), was the slanting of rear windows when down...loved that look.LOL
Jan 12, 2008
814 posts
344 upvotes
TDot
vkizzle wrote: One of the quirks (aka Doug Munro), was the slanting of rear windows when down...loved that look.LOL
True... Actually, the early 2000s weren't "it's day", it was released in the early 90s. 170hp must've been downright fast back then...
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2404 posts
1308 upvotes
corcoran_chris wrote: I assume this came out wrong and you ment to say to change more frequently than the maintenance minder ?
No, it came out right. Its counter-intuitive to those who have been convinced, by years of marketing efforts, that more oil changes is better though.
IMO clean oil is best, carbon build up is in conjunction with blowback from combustion past the valves and dirty oil.
The carbon build up is caused by the distilation products of motor oil which are at their greatest with virgin motor oil and gradually decrease as motor oil has been repeatedly subjected to distillation.

"clean" means that the oil hasn't been in service very long, and hence, has a much higher rate creating of distillates, which invariably end up in the intake. as vacuum is exerted by the intake on the crankcase through the breather and PCV systems.
Having clean oil would help in this regard.
Disagree. Used motor oil reduces the issue. Of course, if you run the oil change for dramatically longer than the maintenance reminder, for example, then there is the risk that the oil loses its lubricating qualities and causes damage to the components that it legitimately needs to lubricate. So best not to go crazy by significantly exceeding the maintenance reminder. Although used oil analysis from most Honda K24's on sites like Bobistheoilguy show that even at maintenance-minder intervals, that the maintenance minder is extremely conservative.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3307 posts
1335 upvotes
GTA
tebore wrote: He doesn't know you have two classic Honda Legends (Not the actual Legend) and thinks you don't know what you're talking about.
K20 series motors are POS? That's a pretty bold statement. The B-series are fantastic though.