• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2020 1:54 pm
Oct 6, 2015
68 posts
38 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

Honda Extended Warranty

Hey RFDers,

I recently bought a 2017 Honda HRV EX-L which is a Honda Certified Used Car. I ended up getting the Honda Extended Warranty for 7 years because my other half wanted me to get it. I didn’t want to get it but she ended up calling her mechanic friend and he also insisted on getting it because most cars have many electronic components such as the LCD touch display that costs more than the warranty itself if it breaks. So I gave in. It was sold to us for $2,238.

Having doing some more research, I found:

-The warranty is for 7 years and 130,000kms. The finance guy kept saying 7 years, 160,000kms which is the power train warranty so I felt like I was misled.
-The 7 year, 130,000km warranty begins at the original sell date which was June 2017 so Im only really paying for 4.5 years and 80,000kms (i bought the car with 50,000kms).

I was not aware of any of the above nor did the finance guy explain that to me. I know I have 30 more days to cancel the warranty but my other half still wants me to keep the warranty.

My question, is it worth it to keep it? And did I pay too much for the warranty? Or is that a “normal” price?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
Keep it. Divorce is more expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5749 posts
6121 upvotes
Ottawa
According to Honda's site, https://www.honda.ca/owners/warranty/ho ... d-warranty, the MSRP for the warranty is $2038. Most likely if you called them up to cancel it you would be offered a lower price for it. Worth a try to get a better price, not to actually cancel it as your better half wants to keep it.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
skeet50 wrote: According to Honda's site, https://www.honda.ca/owners/warranty/ho ... d-warranty, the MSRP for the warranty is $2038. Most likely if you called them up to cancel it you would be offered a lower price for it. Worth a try to get a better price, not to actually cancel it as your better half wants to keep it.
That's what i would do.. Say you bought the car at 50k and the warranty is good until 130k so it's already almost half done and you've paid full pop. Say you're willing to keep it but you feel misled and would like a partial refund.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2631 upvotes
GTA West
I was also quoted $2038 for that warranty on my 2017 CRV EX-L which is coming off lease. But I don't plan to keep the car.

You should consider it because this model has an "oil dilution" issue where gas gets into the oil. Some "experts" on RFD are saying that this will reduce engine life.

And yeah, the LCD display units are wonky. Mine has a couple of quirks that get reset when the engine is restarted, and I heard some strange new beeps from it recently. Remember that 2017 was the first year for this model change.

If I may ask, what did you pay for the vehicle?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3662 upvotes
"Oil Dliution" is a powertrain issue. If it is "Honda Certified" used, then it already has a 7yr 160K Km powertrain warranty. Because of the oil dilution issue, most 2017-18 CR-V with 1.5l engine also have extra-year with unlimited km warranty on certain engine components IF they've had the recall changes due to oil dilution. Don't know if HR-V (which is OP's topic) 1.5l engine has same issues.

So, don't buy extended warranty that adds nothing to powertrain coverage if the primary concern is powertrain.
Oct 6, 2015
68 posts
38 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I was also quoted $2038 for that warranty on my 2017 CRV EX-L which is coming off lease. But I don't plan to keep the car.

You should consider it because this model has an "oil dilution" issue where gas gets into the oil. Some "experts" on RFD are saying that this will reduce engine life.

And yeah, the LCD display units are wonky. Mine has a couple of quirks that get reset when the engine is restarted, and I heard some strange new beeps from it recently. Remember that 2017 was the first year for this model change.

If I may ask, what did you pay for the vehicle?
Yeah I read about the "oil dilution" but I assume that won't affect the engine until after the warranty. In my case, I do plan on keeping the car until 2027-2028.

I paid $22,228 for my 2017 Honda HRV EX-L. It's a Honda Certified Used Car as well which I wanted as they have lower interest rates 4.99%. Normally, you can get a 2016 Honda HRV EX-L certified for around 22.5k. But I found a 2017 which is rare. Certified 2017's with around 50,000kms on it usually go for 24-25k.

Looks like I paid $200 more for the extended warranty than usual for it. Not a huge deal but still sucks. Really considering cancelling it but the dealership is also an hour and a half away from me and I know they will try to get me to keep it. I'm gonna see if I can cancel it over the phone tomorrow rather than going into the dealership.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5749 posts
6121 upvotes
Ottawa
Richierich905 wrote: ...

Looks like I paid $200 more for the extended warranty than usual for it. Not a huge deal but still sucks. Really considering cancelling it but the dealership is also an hour and a half away from me and I know they will try to get me to keep it. I'm gonna see if I can cancel it over the phone tomorrow rather than going into the dealership.
Because it is a warranty, a sort of insurance policy, I can assure you that they will want a specific form signed by you to cancel. Whether they will do that over email or mail I don't know, but I would expect that they will want you to come in and do it in person.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
They'll want you to come in and do it in person so that they can twist your arm and talk you out of cancelling.

Go in and take the position that it's a bit too expensive. Don't mention your wife. Talk price only and give them an opportunity to offer you a lower price. If they don't then push the cancellation through.

Let us know what happens.
Oct 6, 2015
68 posts
38 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
woof wrote: They'll want you to come in and do it in person so that they can twist your arm and talk you out of cancelling.

Go in and take the position that it's a bit too expensive. Don't mention your wife. Talk price only and give them an opportunity to offer you a lower price. If they don't then push the cancellation through.

Let us know what happens.
Yeah, that's what I want to avoid... Them twisting my arm. And they know I'm travelling a long distance so I'm thinking they might make up some BS story about how the manager needs to do the paperwork and I'll have to come back.

But yeah, I'll keep you posted. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
2716 posts
1936 upvotes
GTA
Does Car Cost Canada report show the cost of extended warranty? I wonder if you can pay cost + 3% for it.
Jan 12, 2013
679 posts
671 upvotes
Halifax
AFAIK there is no oil dilution issues with the HRV. It has a 1.5L non-turbo engine. Its the CRV and Civic with the 1.5T(turbo) engine.

I would follow the recommendations of others and contact the dealership. You must contact them to cancel and get a refund regardless, so no harm in talking to them about your concerns and explain why you would like to cancel.

IMO, the HRV isn't exactly a new vehicle. Could be a gamble to not take the warranty, but I would just pass on it. The 1.5L engine in the HRV has been in the Fit for ages and the technology in it should be proven at this point as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
OP,
Being Honda Certified extends the powertrain warranty from the original manufacture warranty to 160k/7 years,

but the extended warranty cost doesn't make sense because the cost of the warranty factors in from when the vehicle was brand new
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
TBBA29 wrote: IMO, the HRV isn't exactly a new vehicle. Could be a gamble to not take the warranty, but I would just pass on it. The 1.5L engine in the HRV has been in the Fit for ages and the technology in it should be proven at this point as well.
Actually, while the Fit has a 1.5 non turbo engine I believe the HRV has a different 1.8 non turbo engine. But yes, afaik both are reliable and non-problematic unlike the Honda turbos.
Last edited by woof on Feb 10th, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 12, 2013
679 posts
671 upvotes
Halifax
woof wrote: Actually, while the Fit has a 1.5 non turbo engine I believe the HRV has a different 1.8 non turbo engine. But yes, afaik both are reliable and non-problematic like the Honda turbos.
Yeah, you’re right. For some reason I thought they just used the Fit engine. Looks like the 1.8L is a derivative of the one used on NA Civics from the previous gen (closest relationship to the one used in Euro civics).
Oct 6, 2015
68 posts
38 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Thanks for all the comments and advice!

Just an update. I called Honda Canada, spoke to a nice guy who told me I have to go into the dealership. There's no getting around that as the dealership needs to process the cancellation. I said what if I wasn't able to go into the dealership if I was out of town for a month for work? He said it doesn't matter. I could try to call them and get them to process it over the phone but he said it's best to go into the dealership. Looks like I have to head to the dealership this weekend.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1525 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
Richierich905 wrote: Thanks for all the comments and advice!

Just an update. I called Honda Canada, spoke to a nice guy who told me I have to go into the dealership. There's no getting around that as the dealership needs to process the cancellation. I said what if I wasn't able to go into the dealership if I was out of town for a month for work? He said it doesn't matter. I could try to call them and get them to process it over the phone but he said it's best to go into the dealership. Looks like I have to head to the dealership this weekend.
Had a very similar situation with an HR-V and extended warranty. The dealership was eventually good about resolving, so don’t want to air them out, but feel free to PM me to discuss and I can share what I experienced and end result.