Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 5, 2006
539 posts
Brampton

Honda OBD-2 Code: P1381

Hi there,

I have a 2002 Honda Accord (4-cylinder) that suddenly gave a CEL and the retrieved OBD-2 code was P1381.

When I google that code, it appears to be: "P1381 Cylinder Position (CYP) Sensor Intermittent Interruption"

Anyone know what might be causing this, the severity of the issue, and/or what it might take to fix?

Thanks!
15 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes
I believe you need a new distributer from reading on forums.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24879 posts
2466 upvotes
Ottawa
Could very well be right, it may be a distributor (and often is), as the sensor is built into it, but first, just have a look art your caps, rotor, connections etc on and to the distributor as well as the timing.
[OP]
Feb 5, 2006
539 posts
Brampton
Thanks for the input so far! Any others have any ideas or comments?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
2930 posts
50 upvotes
Vernon
If it isn't answered tonight, I can check at the shop tommorow.
[OP]
Feb 5, 2006
539 posts
Brampton
Yup, confirmed it's the distributor housing (entire distributor to be replaced). Any idea how many tech hours it'll be to change that? I called one Honda and they told me 0.5 hours, and another told me 2.5 hours?! :confused:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
151 upvotes
Murica
could it be the crank sensor near the distributor?
If it's faulty, it would tell the computer that the engine is out of sync?
That's what I think.

Anybody else can confirm?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
2930 posts
50 upvotes
Vernon
If it is the distributor, you could do it yourself! It's not hard, make sure you install it the correct way and connect the spark plug wires in the proper firing order
[OP]
Feb 5, 2006
539 posts
Brampton
After the change of the distributor, the SAME problem is happening. Honda now thinks it's the alternator. What is the likelihood that could be the problem?
Apr 2, 2005
175 posts
Does the CEL come on all the time or just sometimes? Does the car have any other symptoms besides the CEL?
[OP]
Feb 5, 2006
539 posts
Brampton
Yau888 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2007 5:37 pm
Does the CEL come on all the time or just sometimes? Does the car have any other symptoms besides the CEL?
Not a single other problem or code. The CEL itself is intermittent, because the 1381 code itself is "intermittent ...".
Apr 2, 2005
175 posts
HappyGoLucky wrote:
Jul 19th, 2007 5:09 pm
After the change of the distributor, the SAME problem is happening. Honda now thinks it's the alternator. What is the likelihood that could be the problem?
It could be the alternator giving out surges causing the CEL . My uncle's car had a CEL and other symptoms caused by a crank position censor. He replaced parts that was needed for that CEL but the problem persist. I posted the problem on honda-acura.net and got the answer to replace the alternator. This was a 92 acura so I don't know if it could occur on a 02 accord.
[OP]
Feb 5, 2006
539 posts
Brampton
Yau888 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2007 12:46 am
It could be the alternator giving out surges causing the CEL . My uncle's car had a CEL and other symptoms caused by a crank position censor. He replaced parts that was needed for that CEL but the problem persist. I posted the problem on honda-acura.net and got the answer to replace the alternator. This was a 92 acura so I don't know if it could occur on a 02 accord.
OK, thanks for the info. Sounds like there may be some hope after all! :D
Oct 21, 2010
1 posts
richmond
I have the same P1381 issue recently in my Honda Accord 2000. Replaced Spark plugs ...the code went off and ran ok for 100 miles or 1 week. Code came up again today.

Next planning to replace distributor cap.

The code comes up whenever there is jerk in car ..as if some spark plug did not fire.

some forums say could be due to dirt accumulated in fuel system and i have also added one of those fuel cleaners

HappyGoLucky wrote:
Jul 20th, 2007 2:59 pm
OK, thanks for the info. Sounds like there may be some hope after all! :D
× < >