• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2016 6:49 am
Aug 24, 2014
280 posts
40 upvotes
North York

Is Honda Sensing worth investing $1000?

I'm single with no children.

My workplace is not that far from my home, and I use my car for mostly for grocery shopping and commuting.

Q1) Are all those cool features Honda Sensing worth investing $1000?

Q2) Would a car with Honda Sensing sell for $1000 more than the ones without in the used car markets?
41 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21264 posts
6247 upvotes
Poormond Hill
You are not going to get back $1000 on it.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
gushingtears wrote: I'm single with no children.

My workplace is not that far from my home, and I use my car for mostly for grocery shopping and commuting.

Probably yes, especially the CBMS and if this is your primary vehicle. These driver assistance functions are also what sets your car apart from a model built in 2012-2014.
gushingtears wrote: Q2) Would a car with Honda Sensing sell for $1000 more than the ones without in the used car markets?
No, you never get original investment back with a new car purchase.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1293 posts
952 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I would say it's well worth it. I can't speak for Honda sense features but we have 2 Foresters with Eye-sight and it works well so far as I've tested it. The adaptive cruise control is great and can bring the car to a complete stop in traffic backups very smoothly. It's only a matter of time before forward collision braking becomes mandatory, perhaps within the next 5 years and even though you're probably not going to get the full amount back I think two otherwise identical cars, one with, one without, the one with will command more on the used car market. I would get it if I were you.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
May not be able to get the full $1000 back but is a good insurance when you have the car and probably more attractive option feature when you are selling.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1982 posts
659 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
ya get it
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
2) There may come a day when a car collector comes knocking on your door with 1 million in cash looking for your specific Honda model/color with the Honda Sensing feature. Then you will give yourself a big pat on the back for spending that $1000 today.

(the chance of that happening may be very low, but you never know!)
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1684 posts
291 upvotes
Not exactly answering your questions but I am in the process of purchasing a new vehicle and have looked at Subaru's Eyesight, Toyota's Safety Sense and Honda's Sensing. Nissan and Mazda also has something similar. More expensive luxury brands also offer them.

Subaru makes it available on some of their lower trims whereas others you can only get with their most expensive model.

I have found it hard to find the specifics but here are the major differences that I know:

1. Adaptive cruise control:
As far as I know only Eyesight is all-speed, ie it can completely stop the car. With others including Honda you have to take over below a certain speed. I have also read that Honda's version is jerky (search for Alex on Autos and CRV review)

2. Collision mitigation:
Subaru and Toyota have been tested to completely stop the car up to about 25 mph. I can't find the specifics for Honda

3. Honda has a passenger side blind spot camera - probably in response to poor outward visibility but not sure how useful it is

4. Around view camera to give bird's eye view around vehicle
Toyota and Nissan have the feature, not Honda or Subaru.

Hope this can help you make an informed decision.

gushingtears wrote: I'm single with no children.

Q2) Would a car with Honda Sensing sell for $1000 more than the ones without in the used car markets?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1274 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
If you drive on the highway a lot, then yes it's worth it. To me, all these sensing tech isn't too useful in the city. Who uses cruise control on the city? Sure adaptive cruise control helps driving along, but it won't work once you hit a stop light.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
That depends on how long you are going to keep your car and whether you will be driving a lot on the hwy or not.

The longer you keep the car the better the payback (in other means) with your vehicle. You won't be able to get the actualy money worth for the investment but it might save you or your family lives once and it worths every penny. The longer you keep your car the better. $1000 in 10 years is $100 per year is about a quarter a day.

That said. With the way you use your car for shopping and short distance comute you don't need the sensing tech as it is mainly for hwy driving.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2012
1116 posts
207 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: You are not going to get back $1000 on it.
It's still good for resale.
I say it's worth it, go for it.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
My E has intelligent drive.. use it everday on the 401... really cool once you get used to it. As to the forward collision warning.. I've had it come on a few times when on the ramp merge lane and doing a shoulder check and car ahead hits the brakes... so I would say yes... get it. Oh and it was also cool how the active belt tensioner engaged in that situation to keep you from going forward.. cars are definitely safer with all the new tech!
Jun 9, 2011
477 posts
249 upvotes
gushingtears wrote: Q1) Are all those cool features Honda Sensing worth investing $1000?
For $1000 I would get it. Not so much for adaptive cruise (it is just a convenience item), but for collision mitigation braking. I can easily think of a few close calls I had in a regular commute scenario, and unavoidable close calls as well (like when you need to change lanes, you do shoulder check, and the car in front of you decides to emergency brake at exactly the same time...) So collision mitigation braking can help to save your bacon in a scenario like this one. I think it is worth $1000, even if you don't get the value back at resell time.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1982 posts
659 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
akon1943 wrote: For $1000 I would get it. Not so much for adaptive cruise (it is just a convenience item), but for collision mitigation braking. I can easily think of a few close calls I had in a regular commute scenario, and unavoidable close calls as well (like when you need to change lanes, you do shoulder check, and the car in front of you decides to emergency brake at exactly the same time...) So collision mitigation braking can help to save your bacon in a scenario like this one. I think it is worth $1000, even if you don't get the value back at resell time.
i am exactly the opposite i would get it just for adaptive cruise control. its extremely annoying on my highway rides when stupid truck drivers going at 110 trying to pass other trucks going 105 and having to reset the stupid cruise control after passing. i dont think they check their mirrors that there are cars coming in the first lane trying to pass by as they always butt in
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2012
1275 posts
595 upvotes
Cambridge
Accord cost $2300 over for the Honda sensing models.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1293 posts
952 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
The naysayers are the same ones as back in the day saying the same thing about power steering and brakes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)