• Sep 16th, 2018 10:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1959 posts
112 upvotes

Honeymoon Help! One week away.

Hi all,

So we are booked off work and life to go away for our honeymoon during Sept 22 -29. Now we originally were going to book an all inclusive in Mexico Riviera Maya, but all of this rain makes me not want to go.

I tried to think of other unique ideas for a week long trip that won’t be affected by weather as badly.

Budget is tight at $2000 if we can. I have a bit of wiggle room of course.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1575 posts
726 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
cyphon21 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 12:47 pm
Hi all,

So we are booked off work and life to go away for our honeymoon during Sept 22 -29. Now we originally were going to book an all inclusive in Mexico Riviera Maya, but all of this rain makes me not want to go.

I tried to think of other unique ideas for a week long trip that won’t be affected by weather as badly.

Budget is tight at $2000 if we can. I have a bit of wiggle room of course.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
It can obviously rain anywhere so ruling out a destination based on weather forecasts for another 8 days is a little bit foolish. Would you rely on a weather forecast predicted for whererever you live for 8 days from now?

Having been to the area probably 50+ times over the years (14 trips this year alone) I’ve never had bad weather ALL day. Overcast yes, showers on and off sure- have experienced that in the winter and summer. The potential for a hurricane (not even a direct hit) but a weather disturbance somewhere else in the Caribbean can certainly attract rain. I would keep an eye on that overall as it would probably rule out other destinations.

I would probably look at Aruba or Barbados as it isn’t generally in the hurricane path. Perhaps also Costa Rica or Panama - tons to do there. The only thing you would probably be more around 1500 or so per person.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1959 posts
112 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 12:59 pm
It can obviously rain anywhere so ruling out a destination based on weather forecasts for another 8 days is a little bit foolish. Would you rely on a weather forecast predicted for whererever you live for 8 days from now?

Having been to the area probably 50+ times over the years (14 trips this year alone) I’ve never had bad weather ALL day. Overcast yes, showers on and off sure- have experienced that in the winter and summer. The potential for a hurricane (not even a direct hit) but a weather disturbance somewhere else in the Caribbean can certainly attract rain. I would keep an eye on that overall as it would probably rule out other destinations.

I would probably look at Aruba or Barbados as it isn’t generally in the hurricane path. Perhaps also Costa Rica or Panama - tons to do there. The only thing you would probably be more around 1500 or so per person.
Thanks for the reply! I realize the weather can change. But since I’ve seen more and more come up around this system being created in the Gulf, it just makes me nervous to spend money just to not enjoy good weather.

I did see your posts in the other thread around being to this area quite a bit. Do you mind if I PM you to tell you where we are looking at to get your opinion?
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1575 posts
726 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
cyphon21 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 1:03 pm
Thanks for the reply! I realize the weather can change. But since I’ve seen more and more come up around this system being created in the Gulf, it just makes me nervous to spend money just to not enjoy good weather.

I did see your posts in the other thread around being to this area quite a bit. Do you mind if I PM you to tell you where we are looking at to get your opinion?
No problem at all. Go ahead
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
2732 posts
940 upvotes
I wouldn't cancel a trip based on weather forecasts… Unless there is a prediction for a hurricane, go there, have fun, and… It's for your honeymoon? So if there is rain, you have much else to do… don't forget, it's your honeymoon ;) take profit of it! ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1693 posts
515 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Try the west coast of Mexico, Puerto Vallarta area. Lots of AIs there and it doesn't get near the hurricanes the Gulf does. But the rainy/humid season does last until mid-October.
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8078 posts
3821 upvotes
Speaking from experience .. I go down south at least once a year. There have been countless times where rain was called for every single day prior to me leaving for the trip. Even while there, forecast called for rain, only for there to be nothing but sun most of the time. Depending on where you go, rain tends to come in and out very quick. As others have mentioned, I would not be ruling out your destination based on this. I have been down south during hurricane season, and had it rain for maybe half a day in total during our 7 day stay.
Jan 8, 2009
675 posts
306 upvotes
GTA
The beaches in the Mayan Riviera have been hugely affected by the sargassum (seaweed) this year. I would let that guide me more than rain which - as others have mentioned - tends to come and go quickly. It rarely rains all day like what we get here.

I would look at trip central. They have a great vacation grid tool. Put in your dates, put in all-inclusive, add adults-only if you want that, your budget and see what comes up. You can book with them, you can book with the carrier. It'll be about the same. You can call and talk to an agent and you might get a little money off.

For great beaches (given the sargassum issue) at a price you can afford, I would look at the north side of the Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata, Samana) and the north side of Cuba (Varadero, the Cayos, etc). These beaches are all clear and gorgeous. If you don't care about the beach (and the possible smell), then go with Mayan Riviera (they have some awesome pools).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)