• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2006 6:39 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 23, 2005
98 posts
1 upvote

Hong Kong permanent identity card

I have always been a Canadian citizen but I am eligible for a Hong Kong permanent identity card. I was wondering if there are any advantages, benefits and/or entitlements in having a HK id card, for example, would this allow me to live in HK indefinitely, open a bank account in HK, enter HK without a need of a passport, etc. I would like to know if I should go ahead with the process to obtain a HK id card, would like to hear from those that have one.
Share:
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6267 posts
58 upvotes
Etobicoke
Get it.

It'll save you the $50, $75 or $100 visa processing fee for getting a Chinese visa.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7740 posts
147 upvotes
cant u move to england easily cuz HK was run by the UK?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4609 posts
72 upvotes
Winnipeg
eelfliw wrote:Get it.

It'll save you the $50, $75 or $100 visa processing fee for getting a Chinese visa.

I heard that you had to be careful because if they arrest you as a chinese national, the Canadian government is limited in what they can do for you. YOu should always use your Canadian passport to identify yourself as a Canadian citizen.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
8 upvotes
Does this card act as a HK citizenship card too? What exactly does it do?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
2625 posts
62 upvotes
I got mine in the summer when I went back for the first time since they were introduced.

The card is used for a lot of things in HK. It's like a smart card with all your details in it.

I am assuming your parents were born in HK since you are elligible and weren't born there. There was a big problem for my sister to get hers since she wasn't born in HK. My parents had to first be elligible for their card before she could get hers because she was underage at the time.

I wish I took a better photo for mine... :(

But yeah, correct on the entering China thing. Canada can do squat for you if you get in trouble in China if you enter as a HK citizen.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1345 posts
4 upvotes
Scarborough
Ralfzim wrote:I have always been a Canadian citizen but I am eligible for a Hong Kong permanent identity card. I was wondering if there are any advantages, benefits and/or entitlements in having a HK id card, for example, would this allow me to live in HK indefinitely, open a bank account in HK, enter HK without a need of a passport, etc. I would like to know if I should go ahead with the process to obtain a HK id card, would like to hear from those that have one.
It's good to get a HKID if you are planning to working in HK, it just save the hassle of getting employment visa. From what my bro told me, as long as your parents have HKID card, then you can apply and get one too.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18080 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
I'm wondering the same thing. I think my sister got this recently, eventhough she was born here. I heard my mom asking me to get it. How much does it cost? I guess we have to go back to get this? Is there any expiry if I don't plan on going back for the next few years?
Jul 14, 2004
237 posts
7 upvotes
Better off getting an Octopus in Hong Kong. :)
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
2895 posts
529 upvotes
One thing I love about having an ID card is the much shorter line-up that you have to go through at HK customs. The lines for non-HK travellers are routinely 2-3 times longer than the one dedicated for HK residents (or anyone with a ID card). The shorter wait is nice especially after a 11+ hr plane ride.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
8 upvotes
goob3r wrote:I got mine in the summer when I went back for the first time since they were introduced.

The card is used for a lot of things in HK. It's like a smart card with all your details in it.

I am assuming your parents were born in HK since you are elligible and weren't born there. There was a big problem for my sister to get hers since she wasn't born in HK. My parents had to first be elligible for their card before she could get hers because she was underage at the time.

But yeah, correct on the entering China thing. Canada can do squat for you if you get in trouble in China if you enter as a HK citizen.

What about entering China as a Canadian citizen and then using the HK identity card leaving China? It'll probably be more convenient or something but can you do that?

Official Site: http://www.smartid.gov.hk/en/
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
2625 posts
62 upvotes
felix wrote:I'm wondering the same thing. I think my sister got this recently, eventhough she was born here. I heard my mom asking me to get it. How much does it cost? I guess we have to go back to get this? Is there any expiry if I don't plan on going back for the next few years?
dunno about expiry but the first one is free. you can pick one up whenever the next time you go, but it takes a few weeks for it to be processed and such. And after it is, you'll need to designate someone in HK to pick it up for you by signing some forms (at least that's what I did).

to spike: you should be leaving the same way you came in. i.e. you wouldn't have a matching stamp on your passport for leaving and entering, and your smart card wouldn't have a "leaving" on it either... I think that would cause problems.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4609 posts
72 upvotes
Winnipeg
Indeed wrote:Better off getting an Octopus in Hong Kong. :)

You mean the subway/bus/ferry card? Go ahead...try to enter China by showing you Octopus card.... :)
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4609 posts
72 upvotes
Winnipeg
goob3r wrote:I got mine in the summer when I went back for the first time since they were introduced.

So what's involved in getting one? I was born in HK. Can I get one from Canada or do I actually have to be in HK to get one?
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3413 posts
29 upvotes
Coquitlam
cipher wrote:So what's involved in getting one? I was born in HK. Can I get one from Canada or do I actually have to be in HK to get one?
I think you have to go apply it by person at the Immigration office in Hong Kong. But you can assign anyone to pickup your ID card after.

I'm not sure if there is a waiting list for the smart-card identity card right now.
× < >