• Aug 29th, 2016 12:59 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6029 posts
1787 upvotes
Montreal

Honolulu worth the extra $?

There is a decent deal on flights to Honolulu from YUL ($548). I might bite, but I was wondering if it's worth paying the extra $ for hotel/food compared to just going to an all inclusive in Cuba, Mexico, DR...?
Is there much more to see, are the beaches comparable?
29 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2298 posts
1435 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I love Mexico I go there 3-4 times a year. Dominican is okay... Cuba not a fan. But Hawaii is in a league of it's own. It's absolutely breathtaking and just very unique to these 3 places.

You absolutely need to rent a car to explore the island and really see its beauty. Beaches are nice (Waikiki) but better beaches on the North Shore. It's a completely different vacation.

If you are looking to just go somewhere sit on the beach and aren't interested in some sightseeing- then ya save the $ and go to the Caribbean.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16522 posts
2204 upvotes
Madevilz wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2016 11:36 am
There is a decent deal on flights to Honolulu from YUL ($548). I might bite, but I was wondering if it's worth paying the extra $ for hotel/food compared to just going to an all inclusive in Cuba, Mexico, DR...?

Is there much more to see, are the beaches comparable?
Beaches are some of the best in the world. There is also stunning scenery in the interior of the island.

Hawaii is no doubt more expensive than the Caribbean, but there is more to do/see on Oahu than on many Caribbean islands. Honolulu has a proper downtown for one.

I like the culture and food better in Hawaii. It is also much safer than most Caribbean islands - you can walk around at night with little chance of being mugged.

If you like to drink liquor, sit on the beach, and do nothing - I suggest the Caribbean, but if you want a bit more variety, Honolulu is a good choice.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6029 posts
1787 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks guys. Laying on the beach does get boring after a few days.
I looked for small appartments on Air BNB and they average $130 a night, that's not bad.
Is food expensive there?
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4236 posts
1300 upvotes
Moncton
From Montreal, Hawaii is not a beach vacation but a destination vacation (that happens to have warm weather and beaches). $550 is excellent for airfare. But if you are willing to go that far, look at Rio Brazil and Phuket, Tailand as well. You might save if you include hotel in the calculations.

Try for a stopover in Los Angeles or Vancouver if you haven't been.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Jul 4, 2007
334 posts
61 upvotes
Also consider the amount of time it takes to get there vs cuba, Mexico. I much prefer Hawaii, but not sure I'd go for less than 10 days.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3909 posts
647 upvotes
Yes worth it . But the flight is a killer . Lots of deals to be had in Waikiki for food . Rent a car for a couple of days to enjoy the island . If I recall correctly the bus is cheap and you can get to most beaches with it . If you have not been it's go to place .
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4518 posts
387 upvotes
My view, no. Way to far and it is horrendously expensive. Prices are inflated and in US$. If you want a beach vacation, it's not worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8427 posts
2760 upvotes
Toronto
It's way more than just Honolulu or Waikiki Beach. The island of Oahu has so much to do and see.

There's the Pearl Harbour, that everyone should visit and see/learn the history, including USS Arizona.

There's the Polynesian Cultural Center, worth spending most of a day there, plus luau, and the very nicely done night show.

Hike up Diamond Head, hike Moana Falls, and other trails. Drive the Tantalus Dr., drive the beautiful highways H1, H2, H3. Go to the Pali Lookout, see where King Kamehameha drove hundreds of opposing soldiers off the cliff.

Go to the many beautiful beaches, especially north shore. Eat at the shrimp trucks. Try the shave ice.

Take an outrigger canoe excursion at Hawaii Kai. Try surfing at Waikiki beach -- you'll see why it's a great place to surf.

Of course there's the Waikiki beach. It's great for people watching. Can catch free hula dance shows, or the Fri. night fireworks from the Hawaiian Hilton Village. Nice food, great atmosphere.

Food is expensive but not outrageous. You can also eat cheaply, including at Costco.

It's completely different than any Caribbean destinations. Hawaii is paradise.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9835 posts
2969 upvotes
Ottawa
Not a big fan of Hawaiian food (poke is alright but sashimi is way better!) but I have to concur with most of the folks here: there is no comparison between Hawaii and the all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean.

Don't forget there are other islands outside of Oahu. We really enjoyed our (brief) time in Maui. I don't like to go back to places I have been but I would love to return to Maui and explore it further, as well as the other islands (Big Island and the volcanoes comes to mind)
[removed]
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16522 posts
2204 upvotes
Madevilz wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2016 1:44 pm
Is food expensive there?
Not really, price for food ranges from cheap eats to fine dining. If you budget ~$15 for lunch and $30 for dinner, you should be fine.

canabiz wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 1:12 am
Not a big fan of Hawaiian food (poke is alright but sashimi is way better!) but I have to concur with most of the folks here: there is no comparison between Hawaii and the all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean.
I really like Rainbow Drive-In's mixed plate, especially Hawaiian style Mac Salad. Poke really depends on the mix - some of it is not so good, others is pretty tasty. Foodland has a good spicy mix which I like.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6029 posts
1787 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks guys, convinced me to go with Hawaii. Sounds like a great destination.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6863 posts
4009 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I love Hawaii, but Oahu is my least favourite of the islands I've been to. Still, I'd take Oahu over not going to Hawaii:) Yes, Hawaii is expensive for most things. I can skip Honolulu and Waikiki beach as it was too crowded for my taste, but there is great snorkeling and scenery on other parts of Oahu.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6029 posts
1787 upvotes
Montreal
Got a question about layover. I have a flight from MTL to Chicago, then Chicago to HNL.
Only 1 hour layover at Chicago. Is that enough time? Id use same carrier for both flight.
I assume bags don't need to be unchecked and re-checked ?
Jul 4, 2007
334 posts
61 upvotes
1 hour might be risky, especially if you plan to travel during winter. Any other viable options?