[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4968 posts
4898 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 6:28 pm
Maybe do some network cabling and some wiring for speakers?
I thought if it, but don't really see the need for the bedroom. Plus I can't really home run the any network cable either since I have "no way" of getting to the basement from the 2nd floor. For in-ceiling speakers for the living room below I can always do that later, not really something I every think I'll want to do. Plus I gave someone all my spare plenum speaker cable left over from the kitchen/basement reno :)
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7893 posts
1953 upvotes
Brampton
hoob wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 6:56 pm
I thought if it, but don't really see the need for the bedroom. Plus I can't really home run the any network cable either since I have "no way" of getting to the basement from the 2nd floor. For in-ceiling speakers for the living room below I can always do that later, not really something I every think I'll want to do. Plus I gave someone all my spare plenum speaker cable left over from the kitchen/basement reno :)
Cant use the interior walls in the closet to get to where you'd want your home run? I imagine for a house that age there'd be no fire blocks so it's relatively easier.
Or you could home run to the main floor.
You never know, wireless is typically congested in downtown area.
Or you might want to run cable for PoE for a camera hook up on the main floor pointed at entrances.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4968 posts
4898 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 7:04 pm
Cant use the interior walls in the closet to get to where you'd want your home run? I imagine for a house that age there'd be no fire blocks so it's relatively easier.
Or you might want to run cable for PoE for a camera hook up on the main floor pointed at entrances.
If I were to run it, it would be through the central closet demising wall. But even in the basement, it'll all finished there (previous project) plus there's HVAC ducting there so it would be a PITA. In hindsight I should have set something up when I was doing the kitchen, on if those interior vertical runs under the light under the stairs (same space as the door in the upstairs bedroom):

But I'd have to punch out drywall to run it now, so.. I don't think it is work it so much anymore anyway.

I've though of running wet-rated PoE cabling for a camera on the outside wall when/if I need it for the camera I want to install. It's just a narrow alley between houses so can work fine. Then when/if I eventually replace the siding to add insulation, I'd internalize any cables at that point.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4968 posts
4898 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 11:08 pm
Secret in floor safe? Half kidding.
I always thought about putting in secret hiding spots for things when I one day would be gutting and rebuilding.
That is in fact in the plan, in the floor in the second bedroom closet.
tebore wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 7:04 pm
I just realized that I ran two cat5e lines to the office (second bedroom) and I can repurpose/redirect one of those lines to feed the bedroom line. I will run the line up to the ceiling of the closet area to run a PoE wifi access point with good central high coverage to the entire house, and then a line back from there to the bedroom to offer a network jack Just In Case.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7893 posts
1953 upvotes
Brampton
hoob wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 10:16 am
That is in fact in the plan, in the floor in the second bedroom closet.

I just realized that I ran two cat5e lines to the office (second bedroom) and I can repurpose/redirect one of those lines to feed the bedroom line. I will run the line up to the ceiling of the closet area to run a PoE wifi access point with good central high coverage to the entire house, and then a line back from there to the bedroom to offer a network jack Just In Case.

That's too obvious.
Should have it in the middle of a room. With a fake (or fuctional) Toilet over it.
The key is to confuse the heck outta the Intruders

:D
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3664 posts
442 upvotes
MONTR
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 8:55 pm
Gotta love rfd. Unemployed? No job prospects? All the time in the world? Hell I won’t look for a job, I’ll renovate my house and blog about it lol

Nice job so far
What's wrong with trying to save some money by renovating your house? I wished I could take time off work to do my renos, everyday going to work sleepy didn't please my manager.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4968 posts
4898 upvotes
Toronto
Day 11, in which hoob appreciates badass's comment about finally putting down the new plywood
badass wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 10:31 am
Once the new plywood is layed down there is a world of diffrence and it is motivating to keep on going.
As I go forward on this, the constant reminder is that once I put the subfloor down, I can't go back (well not practically.) So the last few days have been spent finalizing everything that needs to be done while the floor is still open. And now I'm basically ready to go for plywood tomorrow!

* Joists leveled with a planer and a sanding disk on a angle grinder
* Planar blades ruined due to broken off nails in the wood
* Sister the outside wall joist at the right level since all the other joists bowed down a bit but the wall one didn't
* Extend VB down in between the joists on the outside wall (it is behind the extra layer of ROXUL in the pics)

Also punched holes in the wall to figure out the craziness about the knob & tube circuit. Eventually found this in the living room. It turns out the previous reno had tied the neutral/return for the bedroom light back to the neutral of an entirely different circuit in the living room, using an open splice hidden in the wall.. Grrr....

Extended the work area to include the landing at the head of the stairs, since I needed to ensure the floor from there to the bedroom was true as part of the leveling process.

This area was/is very prone to squeaks so I added quite a bit more cross braces. You can also clearly see some of the shaved down joists here. The aroma of the shavings from 100 year old very dry wood was still very aromatic!

Sharp eyes will notice networking cable. As per tebore's comments, it's a good opportunity to run network. I was worried about home run access to my wiring closet in the basement, however, notice the lower right where the cables disappear. In fact, this was the far upper left corner of the kitchen fridge bulkhead and offset wall as seen here (top of the ladder basically):

So I was able to shoot a line down in the bulkhead, down to the basement via that open gap. So in the end it was relatively easy to run the network cable.

So next steps for the remainder of the week:

* Add proper support to the electrical cabling as needed
* Rough sand the tops of the joists to get rid of crud and favor adhesion
* Put down the plywood! Woo hoo!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4968 posts
4898 upvotes
Toronto
Day 12, there is no Floor but Floor...

800 screws and 10 tubes of PL400 later, I realize... I'm going to need more screws and more PL400 for when I do the office. Yes, the label on top says This Side Down, oh well... I'll do it right in the other room.
Aug 19, 2002
338 posts
65 upvotes
Wait, what's this chirping sound I hear from under that plywood...? :)
Jul 31, 2017
44 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
hoob wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 7:53 pm

800 screws and 10 tubes of PL400 later
You used more than a tube per sheet ?? How thick a bead are you putting down? You may also have misread the offset between screws, it is supposed to be about 8" not 8cm !
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4968 posts
4898 upvotes
Toronto
BoatyMcBoatface wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 9:16 am
You used more than a tube per sheet ?? How thick a bead are you putting down? You may also have misread the offset between screws, it is supposed to be about 8" not 8cm !
There's no harm in using excess adhesive and screws, and very minimal extra cost (maybe $5/sheet combined and my extra time is free.) Bead is about 8mm and in some sheets I had to reapply since I accidentally dropped the sheet in the wrong spot.

I'd never used PL400 before -- it's a but weird, even 12 hours later, it is still like putty, soft and squishy like play-do. I know PL400 takes 48 hours to cure and is supposed to stay much more elastic than PL Premium, but I'm used to Premium being rock hard and brittle within a few hours!

Also weird, one of my tubes of PL400 was grey goo, all the others were pale red, despite all coming from the same 12-pack bulk purchase and verified identical tube.

Putting down the subfloor, my trusty 12V Bosch impact driver was awesome, was able to drive in about 800 2" screws on two full charges of 4.0AH (extended battery.) Would get a little warm but trucked on no problem.
Writer wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 3:29 am
Wait, what's this chirping sound I hear from under that plywood...? :)
Was more worried about meowing. THe cats love to explore between the joists but luckily had the sense to stay away while doing the subfloor. Also I don't think I entombed any tools in the floor accidentally (yet) either!
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2501 posts
121 upvotes
GTA
Very cool project, thank you for sharing. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7893 posts
1953 upvotes
Brampton
hoob wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 10:44 am
There's no harm in using excess adhesive and screws, and very minimal extra cost (maybe $5/sheet combined and my extra time is free.) Bead is about 8mm and in some sheets I had to reapply since I accidentally dropped the sheet in the wrong spot.

I'd never used PL400 before -- it's a but weird, even 12 hours later, it is still like putty, soft and squishy like play-do. I know PL400 takes 48 hours to cure and is supposed to stay much more elastic than PL Premium, but I'm used to Premium being rock hard and brittle within a few hours!

Also weird, one of my tubes of PL400 was grey goo, all the others were pale red, despite all coming from the same 12-pack bulk purchase and verified identical tube.

Putting down the subfloor, my trusty 12V Bosch impact driver was awesome, was able to drive in about 800 2" screws on two full charges of 4.0AH (extended battery.) Would get a little warm but trucked on no problem.

Was more worried about meowing. THe cats love to explore between the joists but luckily had the sense to stay away while doing the subfloor. Also I don't think I entombed any tools in the floor accidentally (yet) either!
PL400 stays putty like for a long time. I used it to stick some broken concrete back together, (Crush up some rock and sprinkle it to reduce how noticeable it is) and it was gooey for almost a week.

Nice work getting those Network runs in. Might seem like it's excessive now but they'll come in handy and it's better to have than to regret later.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4968 posts
4898 upvotes
Toronto
Two questions for anyone reading:

* Any good Toronto area suppliers for baseboard? Central Fairbanks doesn't have the exact pattern I need and not anything really close, so hope there's some other places I can look (HD/Lowe's/etc don't have 7 3/4" anything)
* Where's a good place to get iron pipe fittings/pipe for architectural work in Toronto? I want to add a little railing thing at the top right of the stairs once everything is done