• Dec 11th, 2017 11:32 pm
Nov 17, 2013
49 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
hoob wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 5:47 pm
Two questions for anyone reading:

* Any good Toronto area suppliers for baseboard? Central Fairbanks doesn't have the exact pattern I need and not anything really close, so hope there's some other places I can look (HD/Lowe's/etc don't have 7 3/4" anything)
* Where's a good place to get iron pipe fittings/pipe for architectural work in Toronto? I want to add a little railing thing at the top right of the stairs once everything is done
You can try Trim Depot in vaughan or Rex lumber in Mississauga for the baseboard.
Jan 23, 2015
501 posts
112 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
hoob wrote:

* Any good Toronto area suppliers for baseboard? Central Fairbanks doesn't have the exact pattern I need and not anything really close, so hope there's some other places I can look (HD/Lowe's/etc don't have 7 3/4" anything)
Can also try Balmoral MillWork located in Woodbridge (Langstaff rd and Hwy 400). They carry a good selection of many profiles.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1272 posts
432 upvotes
Alliston, ON
hoob wrote:

* Where's a good place to get iron pipe fittings/pipe for architectural work in Toronto? I want to add a little railing thing at the top right of the stairs once everything is done
Emery Woodworking Ltd, they are on Hwy 50 just before bolton

The black iron pipe you can get at HD/Lowes or most hvac supply stores
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6060 posts
1034 upvotes
Mississauga
hoob.

Thanks for taking the time to start this thread as I know it takes a lot of time and energy to take photos and post as well as update and answer questions. I know it will be very helpful to many member and appreciated by all.

Project looks amazing.
Sep 2, 2005
584 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
rex lumber. cheapest by far.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4968 posts
4898 upvotes
Toronto
Week 3, in which hoob trudges on and does more stuff slowly..

Thanks for the feedback on the trim/millwork suppliers, I will check them out this weekend.

This week has been relatively slow. With the subfloor done, I decided to tackle the closets for each room. They are/were the only "original" parts of the house left, still with plaster/lath and ancient wall paper. So a messy, dusty demo took place:

ImageImage

Despite using a half face mask, still coughing and blowing grey goop from all the dust. Ugh. While I was there, also re-did the attic hatch and took a look at the blow-in insulation. Unfortunately, whichever company the previous owner had do it to R50 allegedly, did a pisspot job and only actually blew in about 40% of the attic, the rest still has nothing.

As an aside, here's your quality 1917 roof peak construction:

Since aside from the peak shown above I have a PITA flat roof, instead of DIY blow-in insulation I am having professionals to it on Thursday. I have a small attic so they company claims their minimum charge will cover doing everything properly.

So once that is done, I will put in the wall covering for the closets. BTW I decided to completely remove the dividing wall between the closets to have one shared closet between the rooms. A future owner can simply build a new wall in place if needed. Now I have a single pass-through closet, completely insulated with ROXUL (neighbour/sound and ceiling for attic) and lined with plywood so that I know I can anchor closet structures on any wall and anywhere on the walls:

Once that is done, on Friday I should be starting on floor removal for the remaining small bedroom.

I've been doing about a daily Home Depot run to pick up supplies for the day/etc. Since HD sends you email receipt, I have been entering every single "survey" link on every receipt. Hope I win the $3000 GC prize!
Last edited by hoob on Dec 6th, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1644 posts
188 upvotes
How do you plan on finishing the walls in the shared closet? Drywall on the plywood?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4968 posts
4898 upvotes
Toronto
abstract808 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:41 pm
How do you plan on finishing the walls in the shared closet? Drywall on the plywood?
3/16" simple pine panelling with 3X coats of varnish, about $1/sf from Lowe's in 8x3,5: bundles of 6 planks (Home Depot doesn't seem to carry this.) Very cheap and quick to put up with construction adhesive and/or a brad stapler. I was going to do it in cedar panelling/planking but too expensive and I don't have much wool/fur or moths problem so why bother. I could do it with drywall by why bother, the space is a PITA to work in and I'm not very good at drywall.

I did something similar in the basement bathroom. Obviously if you don't like the "wood panelling" look you wouldn't go this route but for small spaces I like that it differentiates the area and warms it up a bit (imho).

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4968 posts
4898 upvotes
Toronto
Day 25, wherein hoob gets the office done faster

After getting the attic blow-in insulation done, I transferred all my stuff from the office to the bedroom so I can work on the office. It went quite a bit faster since it's a smaller room, and I knew a bit more what I was doing having "learned" in the bedroom.

Before picture of the empty office, about 9x14':

Thursday: Transfer everything, and remove floating laminate floor, and feline inspector check

Friday: Remove tile, underlayer, and subfloor, you can see the ceiling below is more modern work from 2013 when I redid the kitchen.

Saturday: Install blocking, level/plane joists, seal fire/airblock with neighbour ... I like spray foam ..

Monday: Install subfloor in office and remaining half of closet

I properly calculated the plywood requirements, and ended up with about 40% of one sheet left over, out of 12.

I've picked up the air tools for flooring install from a friend and should be able to start installing mid week. Unfortunately Darmaga forgot to include my stair nosing in the order so there's a bit of a delay.
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 8:55 pm
Gotta love rfd. Unemployed? No job prospects? All the time in the world? Hell I won’t look for a job, I’ll renovate my house and blog about it lol
Red_Army will be pleased to know that I received a job offer which I have accepted, and will be starting a new job on Jan 9th. Wooo! So I gotta wrap this up in the next few weeks for sure, and trade in my DIY reno hands back in for soft fragile software development typing hands.. :D
Last edited by hoob on Dec 11th, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 28, 2012
9471 posts
1796 upvotes
Saskatoon
Looks great, hoob. No rest for the wicked, good luck with the new job!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
4851 posts
1272 upvotes
Space
The before pic of that office looked good, I probably would have kept it tbh.