• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2012 2:54 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 8, 2012
5 posts
WATERLOO

Hookbag Purchase?

Okay, so I've looked at the other forums that have to do with Hookbag, and I still can't tell. I'm thinking of purchasing a $1300 laptop from them (every physical store is $1350+) and at first I thought "There's actually no way that these people can afford to lose so much money."

At this point I'm still confused, I see some people who are saying "Yeah hookbag is great" and have a grand total of 2-3 posts, which kills credibility - but there are some others that say similar things about hook bag with a credible post count (300+)

The problem is, I've almost seen NO negative feedback. That is to say someone who bought from hookbag and didn't recieve the goods / recieved broken or used items and were not able to return or exchange, which is really strange.

So, should I buy this laptop from them? Can I get some reassurance from some of the more experienced people here?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
Project9 wrote: Okay, so I've looked at the other forums that have to do with Hookbag, and I still can't tell. I'm thinking of purchasing a $1300 laptop from them (every physical store is $1350+) and at first I thought "There's actually no way that these people can afford to lose so much money."

At this point I'm still confused, I see some people who are saying "Yeah hookbag is great" and have a grand total of 2-3 posts, which kills credibility - but there are some others that say similar things about hook bag with a credible post count (300+)

The problem is, I've almost seen NO negative feedback. That is to say someone who bought from hookbag and didn't recieve the goods / recieved broken or used items and were not able to return or exchange, which is really strange.

So, should I buy this laptop from them? Can I get some reassurance from some of the more experienced people here?

You can trying getting NCIX or Memory Express to pricematch it if you are uncertain. I've never dealt with them personally and I would err on the side of caution.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2011
1467 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Project9 wrote: Okay, so I've looked at the other forums that have to do with Hookbag, and I still can't tell. I'm thinking of purchasing a $1300 laptop from them (every physical store is $1350+) and at first I thought "There's actually no way that these people can afford to lose so much money."

You need to know if HookBag is an authorized reseller of that laptop brand. This is due to warranties. Some companies will not honour warranty requests if the laptop was bought from a different country.

Take this example:
I buy an HP laptop from Canada Computers. This laptop is only sold in China, therefore I can only claim the warranty in China even though I bought the laptop in Canada. It is a laptop for the Chinese market, and not the Canadian market.

I would personally only buy laptops from established retailers. A laptop is expensive and if it breaks within the return period then I know I can take it back. I cannot vouch for Hookbag, but personally I would rather buy the laptop from a store that has established themselves as trustworthy and legitimate. I would not risk spending $1000+ on a laptop from some site.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
I had never heard of them until today when I saw a thread reference to a good price on an item.
I therefore had no preconceived impression of them.

While browsing their website, I did encounter something which immediately gave me a bad impression.
5. Telephone Recordings
Hookbag.ca does not consent to having any phone calls recorded and we reserve the right to terminate any call being recorded. Customers agree not to record any call with Hookbag.ca unless customers have provided clear and conspicuous notice to us and have received our prior written consent for this.

Sometimes you have to go with a gut feeling, and my gut says "what are they hiding".
I've never seen any other terms attempt to override an otherwise legal practice under Canadian law.
You can bet with that level of paranoia, the customer is being recorded.

Only after this, did I search RFD for more about them.
There certainly is a negative vibe about them in discussions.
They may be perfectly legit, but with so many retail options I'll be going with companies which don't immediately antagonize me.

If anyone from them sees this and thinks it unfair, the first things you need to do are re-write your terms and fire your lawyers.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2012
1741 posts
574 upvotes
YKF
arisk wrote: I had never heard of them until today when I saw a thread reference to a good price on an item.
I therefore had no preconceived impression of them.

While browsing their website, I did encounter something which immediately gave me a bad impression.
5. Telephone Recordings
Hookbag.ca does not consent to having any phone calls recorded and we reserve the right to terminate any call being recorded. Customers agree not to record any call with Hookbag.ca unless customers have provided clear and conspicuous notice to us and have received our prior written consent for this.

Sometimes you have to go with a gut feeling, and my gut says "what are they hiding".
I've never seen any other terms attempt to override an otherwise legal practice under Canadian law.
You can bet with that level of paranoia, the customer is being recorded.

Only after this, did I search RFD for more about them.
There certainly is a negative vibe about them in discussions.
They may be perfectly legit, but with so many retail options I'll be going with companies which don't immediately antagonize me.

If anyone from them sees this and thinks it unfair, the first things you need to do are re-write your terms and fire your lawyers.

im not a lawyer, but pretty sure you cant record a phone convo without the other party being aware first. thats why most call centers state the call may be recorded before youre connected to a rep.

and im not sure why theres so much buzz around hookbag here. I've bought from them myself and have had no issues at all. in fact it was the best price for the item combined with the fastest shipping ive experienced from any other retailer. And out of all the posts about hookbag there isnt a single one regarding nondelivery/item not as described, and the ones that did have an issue seemed to have been quickly resolved.

as for your laptop, id just call lenovo and ask them. im pretty sure as long as you have a proof of purchase you can still claim warranty. service is done by their authorized service centers and not the retailer anyways. most credit cards auto double your warranty as well, so might want to look into that.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
AtticusFinch wrote: im not a lawyer, but pretty sure you cant record a phone convo without the other party being aware first. thats why most call centers state the call may be recorded before youre connected to a rep.
No, in Canada a call can be recorded for personal use as long as one of the parties involved in the call gives consent. So if you're talking, you can record the call without telling anyone. Call centres have to tell you that the call is being recorded if the recording is going to be used by someone else (e.g. if a manager might later listen to all the calls handled by a particular employee in order to evaluate them).

And yes, that seems like a weird clause to have.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2012
1741 posts
574 upvotes
YKF
Manatus wrote: No, in Canada a call can be recorded for personal use as long as one of the parties involved in the call gives consent. So if you're talking, you can record the call without telling anyone. Call centres have to tell you that the call is being recorded if the recording is going to be used by someone else (e.g. if a manager might later listen to all the calls handled by a particular employee in order to evaluate them).

And yes, that seems like a weird clause to have.
ah thanks for the clarification

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)