• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2015 6:29 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 2, 2009
90 posts

Hooking up fog lights

I have a 2012 Camry le and trying to figure out how to wire my fog lights where I can DC the switch and just hook it up to the lowbeams so so they go on the fogs would go on.
So far I got this setup

Fog lights to relay, relax has one to fuse that connects to battery
Another goes to ground
Another goes to the wire that powers the low beams
And he lights are not coming on

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Alden
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1210 upvotes
aGincourt
You shouldn't have to connect to the battery if you want it to turn on with the low beams, you need to splice it into the low beam power wire. If you connect to the battery you will need to turn it on / off with the separate switch
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7709 posts
3873 upvotes
ON
Swswswish wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 12:38 am
You shouldn't have to connect to the battery if you want it to turn on with the low beams, you need to splice it into the low beam power wire. If you connect to the battery you will need to turn it on / off with the separate switch
Wrong way to do it. You might end up blowing a fuse (or worse)every time you turn on the lights depending on the wattage of fog light bulbs used.
Correct way would be a separate circuit with a relay switched from the low beam circuit. They sell harnesses ready made for you to use or if yo are handy you can make one yourself with better components for the same price.

As a reference to the picture posted above, 86 pin connects to your low beam hot wire , and 87 is your hot wire going to your fog lights ( obviously two wires going to each light spliced together ).
Your ground wires for each fog and for relay ( pin 85) can be separate and connected to chassis where convenient.
Banned
May 24, 2008
647 posts
722 upvotes
What is the reasoning for doing this? Fog lights are for very limited situations, and the ones they install on modern cars are not well designed because they throw a lot of light above the horizontal plane. People who drive around with fogs on all the time are considered to be a bit "out of it."

Also, if you wire the fogs to turn on with the low beam, you will be violating the maximum light output limit set by the highway traffic act, when you turn your high beams on. So it's actually illegal to do this mod.

Best thing is to wire the fogs to a toggle switch which you can attach to one of the blank knockouts in the cabin.
I can help you delete your unwanted RFD posts. PM me.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3508 posts
2733 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Please don't wire them in as always on. It's distracting and annoying to other drivers. If you must add fog lights, please wore them to a toggle switch where you can turn them on/off only when needed.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7709 posts
3873 upvotes
ON
Anonymouse wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 8:17 am
What is the reasoning for doing this? Fog lights are for very limited situations, and the ones they install on modern cars are not well designed because they throw a lot of light above the horizontal plane. People who drive around with fogs on all the time are considered to be a bit "out of it."

Also, if you wire the fogs to turn on with the low beam, you will be violating the maximum light output limit set by the highway traffic act, when you turn your high beams on. So it's actually illegal to do this mod.

Best thing is to wire the fogs to a toggle switch which you can attach to one of the blank knockouts in the cabin.
That depends, many cars turn off the low beam when high beams are on, and some have them integrated where it's just one bulb doing both jobs. You should not have more than 4 forward lights, but honestly who was ever pulled over for that ? As for "out of it" comment , what does that mean ? Just bcs you don't like it doesn't make it bad and/or stupid. I say to each his own. Aim them correctly though.
He paid for the lights and wants to have them on. Please just dont drive with your high beams on in the city where theres light everywhere, and also illegal. In other news all is good on planet earth.
Nov 14, 2013
493 posts
152 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
CanadianLurker wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 10:30 am
Please don't wire them in as always on. It's distracting and annoying to other drivers. If you must add fog lights, please wore them to a toggle switch where you can turn them on/off only when needed.

+1
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1338 posts
384 upvotes
Calgary
I don't know if you've already done this or not, but some Camry LE's come pre-wired for fogs. Just add the actual lamps and change the stalk to one that has the switch.