Travel

Hoping for guidance on Aventura redemptions?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2019 12:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1478 posts
377 upvotes

Hoping for guidance on Aventura redemptions?

Hi All,

I'm starting to see poor value from CIBC Aventura points and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've accumulated a fair amount about 100k. Supposedly valued at $1300 + Canadian Dollars.

To keep it short - you must depart from Canada or USA;
I've found it's limited to economy seating only it seems and
also includes pretty high taxes and fees. (IE) 75,000 points + $600+ taxes.

It seems a little ridiculous, I've googled some of the flights and noted that booking direct would value the Aventura points required at like a fraction of 1 cent...

I've searched forums before posting and see they have merchandise promotions sometimes.

Any guidance is appreciated!
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7437 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
I’m interested as well. I believe you can use them as 0.01c a mile so 100,000k would get you $1000 off

I’m not an expert but it seemed like us/Canada round trip flights will net you over 1C a mile. I was looking at air Canada yvr-ewr which on air Canada was $680 tax in

Aventura offered 27,000 points plus $140 in taxes. i thought that was reasonable value. Not like aeroplan business reward on an Asia airline value. However better than 1 cent a mile

I encourage others to chip in their advice. However I think high price direct routes or awkward airports will fetch you best value.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1478 posts
377 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 12:12 am
I’m interested as well. I believe you can use them as 0.01c a mile so 100,000k would get you $1000 off

I’m not an expert but it seemed like us/Canada round trip flights will net you over 1C a mile. I was looking at air Canada yvr-ewr which on air Canada was $680 tax in

Aventura offered 27,000 points plus $140 in taxes. i thought that was reasonable value. Not like aeroplan business reward on an Asia airline value. However better than 1 cent a mile

I encourage others to chip in their advice. However I think high price direct routes or awkward airports will fetch you best value.
thank you for your response!

it's odd I'm finding some airlines have taxes and fees of $70-100 and others to the same destination are $300-500.

I will start looking into flights into smaller airports with lower taxes like EWR as you noted.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31772 posts
6348 upvotes
Ottawa
daikman wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 2:33 am
thank you for your response!

it's odd I'm finding some airlines have taxes and fees of $70-100 and others to the same destination are $300-500.

I will start looking into flights into smaller airports with lower taxes like EWR as you noted.
While looking at alternative airports, it may be false economy as it may require extra transportation and cost to get to your ultimate destination.
Example is European low cost airlines. Often they use airports a long way from the major city destination and it costs more to get to town as well as the extra charges for bags etc.
I was thinking of other than Aeroplan as well but in the end, we use it for business class and it is value for the points. The others all are basic economy and if you want anything other than basic seats, it is extra and quite a bit extra.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7437 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: While looking at alternative airports, it may be false economy as it may require extra transportation and cost to get to your ultimate destination.
Example is European low cost airlines. Often they use airports a long way from the major city destination and it costs more to get to town as well as the extra charges for bags etc.
I was thinking of other than Aeroplan as well but in the end, we use it for business class and it is value for the points. The others all are basic economy and if you want anything other than basic seats, it is extra and quite a bit extra.
This is an aventura thread and when I said awkward airports I perhaps wasn’t clear enough I meant like new orleAns or palm beach or other secondary airports which otherwise raise ticket prices but may not trigger higher points
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31772 posts
6348 upvotes
Ottawa
GangStarr wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 12:31 pm
This is an aventura thread and when I said awkward airports I perhaps wasn’t clear enough I meant like new orleAns or palm beach or other secondary airports which otherwise raise ticket prices but may not trigger higher points
OK?
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7437 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: OK?
Lol Pete that’s a pretty vague reply for you. Just saying it’s an aventura thread not aeroplan and no ulcc in Europe.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31772 posts
6348 upvotes
Ottawa
GangStarr wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 12:42 pm
Lol Pete that’s a pretty vague reply for you. Just saying it’s an aventura thread not aeroplan and no ulcc in Europe.
Not hijacking the thread and not arguing with you. Just said OK. My point was only to say that some of the alternative airports are farther away for destinations. I said it and it's over.
I too am or was, interested in how Aventura works as y only dealings is with Aeroplan. Sorry if I offended you in some way that oyu need ot keep this going.