• Aug 12th, 2017 11:54 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4630 posts
796 upvotes
Milton
bought HZD last month but has been sitting on my desk, waiting until i get my ps4pro to enjoy the '4k-'ish experience.
May 9, 2007
749 posts
185 upvotes
spena wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 2:14 pm
bought HZD last month but has been sitting on my desk, waiting until i get my ps4pro to enjoy the '4k-'ish experience.
Do you own a 4K TV? HZD is a jaw dropping gorgeous game. Even for 1080p owners the game runs at a locked 30fps even on the base PS4 with the Pro doing it's upscaling magic.

If you're looking for something to show off your 4K TV and put it to the test I'd also highly recommend picking up Rachet & Clank as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3618 posts
285 upvotes
I have pro and 4K tv and felt uncharted seemed to be the best "view" in the high res department. Of course this is all subjective but..

Horizon dawn if it was made coop and a larger world. It would have me totally hooked.. a coop major machine hunt?! Hell yes! I like to take my time plan my shots. Sneak around and not get seen.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5797 posts
700 upvotes
Grimsby
I capped off the Platinum for this game last night. What a fun time this turned out to be. I thought I had the story figured out but it still managed to surprise me in the end. I really enjoyed this overall. There were some tedious moments, most of them involving Glinthawks who aren't really difficult per se, just annoying that they always attack in groups. I enjoyed Ashley Burch's performance as Aloy, she gave the role a lot of nuance. I thought the writing was well done too, it was nice having a protagonist call people out when they are pointlessly vague or contradictory. The tribalism stuff was derivative but well handled and came from an interesting place in the story. The gameplay itself was a treat, you're given a wealth of options to deal with every situation and it was really cool to watch videos of people doing the same missions totally differently than I did.

The game really felt like a long journey but it didn't overstay its welcome which is something I appreciate in an open world game. I don't know if I want a sequel to this game. It was such a great one off, be a shame to ruin it with sequelitis. Maybe let Guerilla Games work on something new again, this turned out pretty well after years of ho-hum Killzone titles.

If they did do a sequel or prequel, small list of improvements:

- Better power curve
- less glinthawks. They are easy to kill (fire arrows or ropecaster), just annoying to deal with.
- The consumable wheel needs to be tossed and redone
- better human AI, it was just terrible
- Space out the story exposition a bit more, you get some pretty big infodumps near the end of this
- Characters talking over story elements and vice versa, this happened constantly. I would wander into a room, start an audio log then Aloy would start describing something else in the room over top of it.

These kinds of original IP surprises are why I keep coming back to the Playstation.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5017 posts
1480 upvotes
Toronto
I need to start this game already. I watched the intro and it looked cool but I have yet to actually start it. Trying to finish some other shorter games first before I dig into this because I hear it's a bit on the long side
May 9, 2007
749 posts
185 upvotes
I got the platinum as well. Very enjoyable platinum. One disappointment I have however is I hear Americans get a congratulatory email and free theme for achieving the platinum. I wish I got a thank you email for finishing the game! :(

Glinthawks were not a problem at all. Like you said use fire arrows. I believe it was two fire arrows and they were down.

I liked the Lodge challenges. Seems like each one taught you a new mechanic in the game.

Slight Spoiler on voice acting:

When I found out that the actress that voiced Aloy is the same one that did Chloe from Life is Strange I couldn't get Chloe out f my head dammit!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5017 posts
1480 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 10:56 am
I capped off the Platinum for this game last night.
Bryson wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:43 am
I got the platinum as well. Very enjoyable platinum.
How long did it guys take you to platinum it and about how long to just finish the main and important side quest content in the game?
May 9, 2007
749 posts
185 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:47 am
How long did it guys take you to platinum it and about how long to just finish the main and important side quest content in the game?
I don't remember exactly since this was months ago but I feel like I want to say 70 hours for the platinum? 10+ hours of side content maybe? But it's hard to say what exactly was side content since it's all woven in together. For example you can finish the game without ever doing the Cauldrons, the lodge Challenges or getting the Ultimate armor but I wouldn't recommend it. It all adds to the experience. Side content was very well done and enjoyable. Unlike Nier Automata despite being one of my games of the year it was almost ruined by all the pointless side quests IMO. I'd put HZD's side quests up there with The Witcher 3's side quests from what i hear.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5017 posts
1480 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 12:18 pm
I don't remember exactly since this was months ago but I feel like I want to say 70 hours for the platinum? 10+ hours of side content maybe? But it's hard to say what exactly was side content since it's all woven in together. For example you can finish the game without ever doing the Cauldrons, the lodge Challenges or getting the Ultimate armor but I wouldn't recommend it. It all adds to the experience. Side content was very well done and enjoyable. Unlike Nier Automata despite being one of my games of the year it was almost ruined by all the pointless side quests IMO. I'd put HZD's side quests up there with The Witcher 3's side quests from what i hear.
Whew that's a bold statement but that's awesome if true. Not sure why but I'm hesitant to start another 50+ hour game right now. Once summer is over and I'm at home more that'll probably be a better time to finally dig into this.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5797 posts
700 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:47 am
It took me about 40 hours to complete the game and the platinum trophy. There were only a few annoyances in getting the platinum, mostly the lodge hunting quests. The rest of the time I just had fun and kinda coasted along doing what I always do. The collectibles were surprisingly restrained, there's like 3 types involved in the trophy but they have a lot of lore stuff attached to them so I was always seeking them out anyway. Never felt like work.

They had some help from CDPR on this and the games share some similarities that you will find amusing. The sidequests are all well done, even the rote stuff is accompanied by voice acting and has some sort of story element attached to it.
May 9, 2007
749 posts
185 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 12:39 pm
Whew that's a bold statement but that's awesome if true. Not sure why but I'm hesitant to start another 50+ hour game right now. Once summer is over and I'm at home more that'll probably be a better time to finally dig into this.
You think you have it bad!? I was juggling Zelda, HZD, Nier and Persona 5 at the beginning of the year! What are you playing now that's keeping you from playing HZD? All I can is that HZD doesn't feel like a chore to play at all. Just sit back and enjoy! You just played through Killzone Shawdowfall. Stop playing crappy games and you'll have more time for HZD! =)

Redmask wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 12:44 pm
It took me about 40 hours to complete the game and the platinum trophy. There were only a few annoyances in getting the platinum, mostly the lodge hunting quests. The rest of the time I just had fun and kinda coasted along doing what I always do. The collectibles were surprisingly restrained, there's like 3 types involved in the trophy but they have a lot of lore stuff attached to them so I was always seeking them out anyway. Never felt like work.

They had some help from CDPR on this and the games share some similarities that you will find amusing. The sidequests are all well done, even the rote stuff is accompanied by voice acting and has some sort of story element attached to it.
Whenever someone says it takes a certain amount of time to finish a game it always takes me twice as long so 40 hours sounds possible although still on the quick side.

Would you care expanding on how CDPR helped with HZD and what the similarities are?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5017 posts
1480 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 1:12 pm
You think you have it bad!? I was juggling Zelda, HZD, Nier and Persona 5 at the beginning of the year! What are you playing now that's keeping you from playing HZD? All I can is that HZD doesn't feel like a chore to play at all. Just sit back and enjoy! You just played through Killzone Shawdowfall. Stop playing crappy games and you'll have more time for HZD! =)
Lol I still haven't finished BOTW either. I've just been playing through shorter games lately because it's summer, I'm out a lot and it's satisfying to be able to play an hour here and there without getting lost, finish in a week or less then move on to the next one. I could probably spend an hour just doing inventory management in a game like HZD or BOTW. Shadowfall wasn't amazing but it was like 6 hours long and was good mindless fodder for strolling in drunk at 1am and playing for an hour or two before passing out Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5797 posts
700 upvotes
Grimsby
Bryson wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 1:12 pm
Whenever someone says it takes a certain amount of time to finish a game it always takes me twice as long so 40 hours sounds possible although still on the quick side.

Would you care expanding on how CDPR helped with HZD and what the similarities are?
80 hours is going really slow, 45-60 hours is the norm. I played the patched version of the game so I didn't have to replay some sections that got balanced out a bit. Anyways whether it takes you 80 hours or 800 as long as you're having fun that's whats important.

CDPR and a few Bethesda guys were brought on to consult on the open world elements in the game. The guy who voiced Geralt also did a little cameo apparently. The focus design is heavily derivative of the Witcher which also took its inspiration from Arkham Asylum. There's some other stuff as well but that's all that comes to mind. You can google a bit on it if you want more info, there was a reddit discussion where I read a bunch of this.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4630 posts
796 upvotes
Milton
Bryson wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 7:54 pm
Do you own a 4K TV? HZD is a jaw dropping gorgeous game. Even for 1080p owners the game runs at a locked 30fps even on the base PS4 with the Pro doing it's upscaling magic.

If you're looking for something to show off your 4K TV and put it to the test I'd also highly recommend picking up Rachet & Clank as well.
Yea i got a samsung 4k tv at home.. with terrible input lag even on game-mode lol.

I typically play my ps4 on a 1080p monitor and inputlag is not an issue but for hzd im willing to compromise
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5403 posts
1149 upvotes
I'm closing in on 90 hrs and I'm in the middle of the Project: Zero Dawn base where they explain what the meaning of Zero Dawn actually is. DID NOT SEE THAT COMING. I'd post more about it but don't want to spoil those that haven't gotten that far or played the game yet.