• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2017 1:57 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5489 posts
1213 upvotes
94 hrs later, finished the game. What a ride! I can't wait for the DLC!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5158 posts
1617 upvotes
Toronto
So this game is pretty dope and I definitely see the Witcher team influence in the cutscene and dialog presentation although I do find the voice acting and writing a bit hokey and awkward at times but I'm super early on in the game so maybe the characters will grow on me.
Also it looks pretty damn good even on the regular PS4. 60fps would be nice but at least it's stable and if I recall correctly the Pro doesn't do 60fps in this game either. Is the Pro version basically the same visuals in 4K?
May 9, 2007
775 posts
199 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 1:02 pm
So this game is pretty dope and I definitely see the Witcher team influence in the cutscene and dialog presentation although I do find the voice acting and writing a bit hokey and awkward at times but I'm super early on in the game so maybe the characters will grow on me.
Also it looks pretty damn good even on the regular PS4. 60fps would be nice but at least it's stable and if I recall correctly the Pro doesn't do 60fps in this game either. Is the Pro version basically the same visuals in 4K?
Yeah it's similar to Ratchet&Clank. Both run locked 30fps with PS4 Pro running in 4K or supersampling for 1080p screens so base PS4 owners are not missing much unless you have a 4K TV.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5489 posts
1213 upvotes
Bryson wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 3:29 pm
Yeah it's similar to Ratchet&Clank. Both run locked 30fps with PS4 Pro running in 4K or supersampling for 1080p screens so base PS4 owners are not missing much unless you have a 4K TV.

Although there's a slight difference, in no way am I jumping out of my seat and upgrading all my gear to take advantage of PS4 Pro.
May 9, 2007
775 posts
199 upvotes
BluePhirePB wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 8:31 am
Although there's a slight difference, in no way am I jumping out of my seat and upgrading all my gear to take advantage of PS4 Pro.
Yeah I own a PS4 Pro. Because it was my first PS4 console and for the sake of future proofing I decided to go with the best. The extra power is nice but not revolutionary. The extra HDD space is nice too!

I do most of my gaming on a dual 1080p screens so because I sit so close the extra anti-aliasing from supersampling is really nice. For the most part it's really rare that a base PS4 owner with 1080P TVs will be saying."Man I really wish I had a PS4 Pro right now!" The most recent game I could remember being thankful for owning a PS4 Pro is HellBlade Senua's Sacrifice because it allowed Pro owners to play at 60fps, albeit at a lower resolution. Of course if you already own a 4K TV then PS4 Pro is definitely the way to go.

So ya back to HZD. It does seem like the Pro version has more particles like more snow and stuff although it's hard to tell if it's just coincidence or not.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5489 posts
1213 upvotes
I got the platinum trophy my first play through but I see there's two additional trophies since they added the ultra hard and new game+ modes. If I complete the two trophies associated with that update, will I get another platinum?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6547 posts
733 upvotes
BluePhirePB wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 10:10 am
I got the platinum trophy my first play through but I see there's two additional trophies since they added the ultra hard and new game+ modes. If I complete the two trophies associated with that update, will I get another platinum?
probably not
Jan 29, 2013
615 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
BluePhirePB wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 10:10 am
How difficult is the platinum? How many hours did you put in?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5489 posts
1213 upvotes
qualdoth wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 11:28 am
How difficult is the platinum? How many hours did you put in?
Platinum is pretty easy. I got it in just one play through on normal difficulty. I sunk 94 hrs total in it BUT ... I took my dear sweet time doing all the side quests/errands/events etc. before finishing up the main quest. I also explored a lot of the wilderness.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5158 posts
1617 upvotes
Toronto
94 hours wow. I'm really enjoying this game but I can't see myself putting in that much time in. I'm only like level 7-8 and already finding the side quests and errands a little dull. The main quests are quality and the combat is great though
Jan 25, 2006
490 posts
20 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Just a quick question for when this goes on sale again....
Is this a game that someone like me who enjoyed the Tomb Raider games immensely would be able to get in to? I am not an RPG player at all and have mostly not enjoyed any huge open world games. Game time is limited but thought it might be fun to try in the winter. I have watched a few youtube clips and it seems pretty good but I really don't have the time or patience to grind through a game. Basically is this GTA or more like Tomb Raider with a bigger playing field?
Thanks
May 9, 2007
775 posts
199 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 12:26 pm
94 hours wow. I'm really enjoying this game but I can't see myself putting in that much time in. I'm only like level 7-8 and already finding the side quests and errands a little dull. The main quests are quality and the combat is great though
Redmask says it took him about 40 hours to get the platinum. I'd put mine at around 60 hours. If you don't want the platinum or to do all of the sidequest stuff you can just skip it and rush the game just doing the mainquest. It won't take you long to finsh the game if that's what you want.
quicksilver7 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 2:59 pm
Just a quick question for when this goes on sale again....
Is this a game that someone like me who enjoyed the Tomb Raider games immensely would be able to get in to? I am not an RPG player at all and have mostly not enjoyed any huge open world games. Game time is limited but thought it might be fun to try in the winter. I have watched a few youtube clips and it seems pretty good but I really don't have the time or patience to grind through a game. Basically is this GTA or more like Tomb Raider with a bigger playing field?
Thanks
The game does have RPG elements where you have to upgrade your character similar to Tomb Raider. Nothing complicated. As long as you level up you should get enough skill point s to unlock them all.

Your second question is a very good one. While the game is definitely open world it's very story driven. I don't think it's as open world or overwhelming like in GTA. A cross between GTA and TR sounds about right and I can definitely see someone who liked Tomb Raider really like this game too.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5158 posts
1617 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 3:22 pm
A cross between GTA and TR sounds about right and I can definitely see someone who liked Tomb Raider really like this game too.
I'd go with more a cross between The Witcher 3 and Tomb Raider. Combat, gameplay, inventory and crafting is very similar to TR while the quests, dialog and leveling system are fairly similar to TW3
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7346 posts
732 upvotes
Victoria
I didn't find the platinum that hard to get. I think I put in an extra hour or so after finishing the game to complete the stuff I hadn't (which was controlling the giant giraffe looking things, the caves where you learn how to control robots etc...).

At first I was doing all the sidequests, then I did a bunch of the main to get the best spear and armor, then I went back and did all the sidequests before finishing. Getting the purple spear and armour make the sidequests pretty easy.

It's the only platinum trophy I've ever received... so that says something :)
Jan 29, 2013
615 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 4:28 pm
It's the only platinum trophy I've ever received... so that says something :)
I don't have one either yet, that's why I was thinking about potentially trying this one. I'm about through Persona 5, so should finally be able to get into HZD.