• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2017 1:57 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5970 posts
1272 upvotes
The average review score for a video game is 73.
73 means the game is mediocre or average compared to all other games. Anything below that would put it in below average or bad territory.

Killzone Shadowfall has a mix of good to poorly designed levels.

Horizon Zero Dawn looks promising. I am much more excited for Horizon than I would be for another FPS game.

Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
276 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
ReeGee wrote:
Jun 6th, 2016 3:32 pm
I don't hold any faith in review scores and I'm talking about my actual hands on experience playing these games myself. Have you ever played a Killzone game? The only thing that carried those games was the graphics. The story and gameplay are completely forgettable throughout the entire series.
I played part 2 and loved it. The multiplayer was incredible. It was actually the first FPS that I got into multiplayer-wise.

The classes were so different and unique from each other. I loved the tactician. Setting up custom spawn points was amazing, you could turn the game around if you used it strategically. Maps were amazing too, visually interesting and unique, cool set up. Nice leveling-up system with good rewards. Easily one of the best I've played. Way better than anything from Call of Duty, etc. So much more strategic.

Played part 3, was okay. Never played the others.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
276 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Gunz13 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2016 3:38 pm
KZ2 mulitplayer is the best multiplayer experience I have ever had. Put 25+ days into it. Wish they sicked to that formula instead the CoD which they tried to do in KZ3. Shadowfall was pretty fun but got stale quickly
+1000000

KZ2 was so good, I was so disappointed with the direction of part 3. Part 2 was unique, part 3 they went for the shallow COD style gameplay.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5270 posts
1715 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jun 6th, 2016 3:46 pm
Killzone screamed generic space shooter from a mile away, this not so much.
No doubt the art style and visuals look a lot more unique but I have a hard time believing a studio that can just barely put together an interesting 8 hour FPS campaign is capable of putting together a 30+ hour story rich RPG. I'm all for a heartwarming underdog story so good for them if they pull it off but I just can't imagine it
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4791 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
I could never get over the "weighty" controls in KZ2 to enjoy the MP to any great degree.

Games like KZ2, Resistance, and WarHawk are held in somewhat high regard for there multiplayer but having played them all a ton of different online multiplayer games I never really enjoyed any of them and always just thought there popularity it was due to a lack of decent alternatives on PS3. KZ2 was always my favorite out of that batch though.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4791 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Jun 6th, 2016 4:33 pm
No doubt the art style and visuals look a lot more unique but I have a hard time believing a studio that can just barely put together an interesting 8 hour FPS campaign is capable of putting together a 30+ hour story rich RPG. I'm all for a heartwarming underdog story so good for them if they pull it off but I just can't imagine it
Im willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, if it for whatever reason it turns out terrible I'll be disappointed but I just wont buy it.

I remember everyone piling on Double Helix when they were assigned Killer Instinct bringing up lists of all the downright terrible games they had done in the past. But they were on a project they were passionate about and determined to prove people wrong and ended up delivering in spades.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
4399 posts
1906 upvotes
Mississauga
Excited for this! I have it pre-ordered from E3 Amazon 30% on top of $72. Sadly I don't think I can stack the 20% Prime discount. Anyone else have it pre-ordered?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5930 posts
775 upvotes
Grimsby
I didn't preorder it because I was waiting for reviews. It looks like the game is the real deal so I'm definitely going to get it now though and shelve something else for awhile. Metacritic aggregate and individual reviews are very impressive. Sony is killing it this year with exclusives.
Aug 24, 2011
776 posts
434 upvotes
London
This reminds me of the ps2 days where great games are being released consecutively in a short span.

Can't wait to see what they have in store for second half of year and e3.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
981 upvotes
Vaughan
Seems weird to trust reviewers with this. Most of them gave Watch Dogs 1 high scores as well before: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... ew_thread/

Slew of other games we can point to with this same example. I'm excited for this game, but being cautious - I'll pick it up a few weeks later when the honeymoon phase dies and people have their actual thoughts about the game.

Because like every new game, the first two weeks is about how amazing it is, the next two weeks after that is about the flaws. That's when you get an idea of what the game actually is like.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8264 posts
625 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote:
Jun 6th, 2016 12:28 pm
Looks great, but collectors edition for an unproven game is just too risky.

But people will buy it, then complain when the game doesn't meet their expectations, or defend it because they put so much money into it. Such is the gaming industry.
9/10 times these collectors editions get sold out but magically reappear for 60% off 5-6 months later. If you know you want a CE of something and want to take that gamble I'd say go for it.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3491 posts
287 upvotes
sitting at a cushy 88% based on 78 reviews

glad this studio can make a name for themselves outside of Killzone.

going in with high-expectations in the graphics dept on a PS4P
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7456 posts
773 upvotes
Victoria
RiftOfChaos wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 12:22 pm
This reminds me of the ps2 days where great games are being released consecutively in a short span.

Can't wait to see what they have in store for second half of year and e3.
Yah.... I feel like there's been some long droughts this generation in terms of new games. Especially if your looking for stuff that isn't FPS. It's kind of nice that there's a number of things coming out this year.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2576 posts
303 upvotes
BC
twitchyzero wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 4:39 pm
sitting at a cushy 88% based on 78 reviews

glad this studio can make a name for themselves outside of Killzone.

going in with high-expectations in the graphics dept on a PS4P
I'm much more interested in the user score. My spidy senses are pointing to possible shenanigans.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3186 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
Copying my post in the Console Games thread...

Why are people surprised at the quality of Horizon, while using Guerilla's history as an FPS developer? I mean, Naughty Dog used to make cartoonish platformers before Uncharted and Last of Us, but nobody ever questioned their pedigree... Killzone was a decent, if unspectacular franchise, but it still showed their team had a lot of technical skill.

Horizon has always looked like an amazing game, ever since its debut a couple years ago. Sometimes developers just get stuck in a genre because they're forced to, and I'm glad they were given the freedom to make some new IP.

Excellently-crafted first/second-party single player games like Horizon, Detroit, DeathStranding and that zombie game are what's going to force me to re-buy a PS4 down the line...
Last edited by M1GOmigs on Feb 22nd, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE