• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2017 1:57 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 12, 2012
686 posts
509 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah I find it weird people questioning Guerillas talent. IMO Killzone 2 is the second best exclusive game on PS3 behind TLoU. Killzone 3 was alright but they changed the multiplayer aspect because people didn't like the "weighty" feeling of KZ2 and wanted something like CoD, but I found it perfect.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3496 posts
288 upvotes
nothing wrong with being skeptical since the studio has no experience making a full-fledged, action-adventure game.

When I play AAA games I adjust my expectations to value technical prowess, atmosphere of game world, 'polish' in mechanics/animation over gameplay and story. I can be entertained by benchmarking tools as long as it scales well and is on the borderline of melting hardware Face With Tears Of Joy
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3187 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 10:11 pm
nothing wrong with being skeptical since the studio has no experience making a full-fledged, action-adventure game.

When I play AAA games I adjust my expectations to value technical prowess, atmosphere of game world, 'polish' in mechanics/animation over gameplay and story. I can be entertained by benchmarking tools as long as it scales well and is on the borderline of melting hardware Face With Tears Of Joy
And that's the thing - Guerilla has shown to deliver all of that polish and technical prowess, and they've done it over several games now, on multiple platforms. Even their top-down shooter for the PSP, Killzone Liberation, was a good game technically. There's no fixing a lame/boring premise though, which is really what happened with Killzone...

Even great companies can miss on story and gameplay. Bungee really dropped the ball with Destiny when it first released, and it took a year to right ship, even though technically the game was amazing.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3008 posts
480 upvotes
GTA
Yeah got this preordered with the 30% off like the other guy. I'm still hyped for it, kz2 was awesome and ahead of the other console fps at the time. Also don't forget cdpr helped these guys out in this game.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
981 upvotes
Vaughan
Seem I made a good decision to skip this for BotW.

I'll get to it after, but if it's anything like Far Cry or a generic open world, I'm out.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5946 posts
777 upvotes
Grimsby
jarko wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 5:51 pm
Yeah got this preordered with the 30% off like the other guy. I'm still hyped for it, kz2 was awesome and ahead of the other console fps at the time. Also don't forget cdpr helped these guys out in this game.
What did CDPR do with this game? I never heard about that.

3 days, getting super stoked about this after the huge number of great reviews.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5975 posts
1282 upvotes
Google'd.

Guerrilla hired some people that previously worked for CD Project Red and Bethesda to help them design Horizon Zero Dawn.

http://www.gamesradar.com/ex-bethesda-a ... pen-world/
http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/06/13/ ... world-rpg/
Redmask wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 9:43 pm

Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2049 posts
567 upvotes
Edmonton
Just got my Best Buy shipping email! Excited for this game! Just wish I had a 4K TV ....
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4709 posts
815 upvotes
Milton
just pre-ordered in amazon.ca for the discount.

have until march 22 to finish this game before mass effect Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3008 posts
480 upvotes
GTA
Cancelled my pre-order yesterday after watching a video review. Looks like an alright game but brings nothing new to the genre and looks very repetitive. What seems to be really good is the world design though, the ai is apparently stupid but greatly designed. Will wait till it's $30
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6651 posts
789 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 9:43 pm

not CDPR, previously employed people at CDPR during Witcher 3. I think its a script writer and someone else. There's articles about it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6651 posts
789 upvotes
jarko wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 12:41 pm
Cancelled my pre-order yesterday after watching a video review. Looks like an alright game but brings nothing new to the genre and looks very repetitive. What seems to be really good is the world design though, the ai is apparently stupid but greatly designed. Will wait till it's $30
i did the opposite, saw and read reviews and pre ordered it yesterday. lol
Sep 16, 2013
100 posts
45 upvotes
Medicine Hat, AB
Put in a few hours yesterday. Really enjoyed it so far. My overly simplistic way of explaining it is: Skyrim + The Last of Us + Robot Dinosaurs. They really emphasize stealth but once you have your bow and spear, most of the common enemies can be pretty easily defeated without stealth. When you get two or three coming at you then you might get into trouble but the movement is good enough that you can dodge attacks with some good timing.

So far, so good. I'm really happy with the purchase. My one complaint is with the story. It could just be that I'm reading too much into things because the backstory seems to slowly be revealing itself so I might change my feelings on this later. However, right now, this feels like a preachy, "We entrusted our lives to technology and now look at what happened!" Again, I could be wrong on this as I'm only a few hours in and other than some clues here and there you don't really get a feeling as to what's actually going on. The tribe leaders explain things but obviously that's from their limited understanding and tribal beliefs so it doesn't really mean a whole lot.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
981 upvotes
Vaughan
Gave up after 6 hours. Returning it.

I just can't deal with the boring open world parts to this game. Story and gameplay are fantastic, but everything else is not fun.

If you liked Far Cry, you'll like this.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
4404 posts
1906 upvotes
Mississauga
squadz wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 7:20 pm
Gave up after 6 hours. Returning it.

I just can't deal with the boring open world parts to this game. Story and gameplay are fantastic, but everything else is not fun.

If you liked Far Cry, you'll like this.
Far Cry 4 was the first Far Cry I played and I loved it. It's got some RPG elements but remains an adventure game rather than a Witcher 3 or Dragon Age (they're too much RPG for me personally) so I guess since I like the genre of 'open world' like Shadow of Mordor or Assassin's Creed, this game is up my Aloy.