Horizon: Zero Dawn - Discussion Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2017 1:57 pm
Tags:
None
May 9, 2007
777 posts
199 upvotes
Aloy is definitely hot in a wildlings kind of way. If Ingrid is hot which I think she is then so is Aloy. You know nothing John Snow!

I see nothing wrong with the lip syncing and find that the facial animations actually do a good job of conveying genuine and sincere emotions. At least they don't have a blank expressionon their face as if they are staring out into dead space like in Mass Effect Andromeda. Giant Bomb just gave that game a 4 out of 10. Ouch!

This is my GOTY right here! I mean this game had every reason to be cheesy as hell, you fight giant mechanical robots for crying out loud lol. This game wasn't even on my radar up until two weeks ago and boy am I glad I picked it up. Guerilla Games did an excellent job creating a very gorgeous and believable world with characters that you actually care about. Just finishing up the remaining side quests before tackling the final mission.

Speaking of side quests, I know that The Witcher 3 gets a lot of praise for it's side quests. HZD could have easily had a bunch of kill 10 robots or fetch 10 robot parts quests but instead they were varied and with every character in the game being voice acted, even the side quests. Now the hard part is going to be waiting a couple of years for the sequel.
Mar 17, 2015
55 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Buggy166 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 11:01 pm
Ugly? Neah. Generic? Yea.

If you'll notice, her face has no marks, no scratches, scars, no blemishes, no imperfections, no skin ridges, no beauty marks, just a bland white skin texture.

Also, the game has very very bad mouth lip sync animations. Its a step above MAss Effect: Andromeda, but that game is such a disaster, that its not a good thing to get compared to it.

Oddly, the game play animations are phenomenal. It is what it is.
She has freckles.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6558 posts
740 upvotes
habs365 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 2:08 pm
She has freckles.
and lip gloss due to the looks of the shader, but not much else.

she's very clean for someone who grew up in a tribal time, fighting and hunting to live.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5913 posts
1245 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 7:27 pm
and lip gloss due to the looks of the shader, but not much else.

she's very clean for someone who grew up in a tribal time, fighting and hunting to live.
For console games this generation, I think Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn have the most detailed character models:

Horizon Zero Dawn Photomode zoomed in (PS4 Pro):

Two NPCs in Uncharted 4 (photomode zoomed in):

Nose hairs:

Thinning hair guy:

Until Dawn is also up there too. It uses the same graphics engine as Horizon Zero Dawn (the Decima graphics engine made by Guerrilla Games).

Last edited by XFactor11 on Apr 3rd, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6558 posts
740 upvotes
Detail isnt the problem with HZD, but even in those screen shots, her face looks like plastic vs the Uncharted stills. They could've done a better job in that regard. The rest looks amazing, and we wont be getting much better looking games than HZD this console generation.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3448 posts
271 upvotes
lip sync definitely doesn't seem as polished as other parts of the game, and the characters will often twitch too, kind of comical.

are we playing the same game? PS4 Pro downscaled to 1080p she has freckles. It's not crazy detailed but good enough. Rost and Mother whatever has very convincing wrinkles. Models are a little plasticky, no big deal.

Beyond 2 Souls from last generation rivals even the best photo-realism of faces on PS4 (even though it's built ground-up with a PS4 game engine)...but that's a mo-cap game so I do have higher expecations for it

Buggy166 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 11:01 pm
Ugly? Neah. Generic? Yea.

If you'll notice, her face has no marks, no scratches, scars, no blemishes, no imperfections, no skin ridges, no beauty marks, just a bland white skin texture.

Also, the game has very very bad mouth lip sync animations. Its a step above MAss Effect: Andromeda, but that game is such a disaster, that its not a good thing to get compared to it.

Oddly, the game play animations are phenomenal. It is what it is.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6558 posts
740 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 1:11 am
lip sync definitely doesn't seem as polished as other parts of the game, and the characters will often twitch too, kind of comical.

are we playing the same game? PS4 Pro downscaled to 1080p she has freckles. It's not crazy detailed but good enough. Rost and Mother whatever has very convincing wrinkles. Models are a little plasticky, no big deal.

Beyond 2 Souls from last generation rivals even the best photo-realism of faces on PS4 (even though it's built ground-up with a PS4 game engine)...but that's a mo-cap game so I do have higher expecations for it
That face is more on par with what I'd expect of current gen games, especially on a PS Pro. Cue in Ass Effect: Andromeda for comedy.
May 9, 2007
777 posts
199 upvotes
First Aloy gets criticized for not being pretty enough now she's getting criticized for not being ugly enough because she doesn't have any scars or blemishes and her skin is too clean. Who knows maybe she keeps her youthful appearance by moisturizing every day with one of her special plant concoctions lol.

I agree that the faces in Beyond Two Souls and Heavy Rain are top notch even on the PS3 version. Anyways here are some awesome HZD gifs:

Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1613 posts
102 upvotes
Montr
Please stop with the animated screen shots that don't further a discussion.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5875 posts
743 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah a few posters have been going nuts with embeds lately and I was thinking of saying something. The other day I came back to find a browser tab taking up over a gig of memory, someone had put like 7 Youtube embeds into a single post. Some of us are posting from work the odd time fellas, take it easy please :)
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1133 posts
741 upvotes
Richmond
All I can say is "**** Ted".
May 9, 2007
777 posts
199 upvotes
Those gifs I posted were created by a user by the name of SunHilegend. Guerrila Games took notice and decided to invite him and fly him out to their studio in Amsterdam to meet them. So yeah... pretty cool!

Anyways just finished the game and boy what a ride! Platinum achieved 08/04/2017 12pm.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2040 posts
564 upvotes
Edmonton
Just finished the game. I did not expect the story to be that engaging!!! Definitely my favorite story from any video game.

Any word on how much content (time wise) will be in the DLC?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3686 posts
310 upvotes
Andrew765 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 12:30 pm
Just finished the game. I did not expect the story to be that engaging!!! Definitely my favorite story from any video game.

Any word on how much content (time wise) will be in the DLC?
Agreed first game I have finished in ages and went that was good. I wouldn't have minded a little ne'er end battle and seeing Venessa the black goddess I am kind of let down. Her armor looks deadly vs Alloy.

New monsters, new ideas for weapons, and a story like how the flowers are key to rebuilding the world would be awesome. Maybe more animals that fight back aka untouched by metal monsters.

Machines working together aka hunt you would be pretty sweet.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5492 posts
1216 upvotes
So far I'm almost 50 hrs in and around 46% complete. Still lots to do but man, the minute you get into the desert area, the difficulty when engaging the robots is really ramped up!